Pony Talk > Off Topic

The Plant Thread

<< < (165/169) > >>

BlackCurtains:
So my gnat problem has blown up :( I read online that I can put hydrogen peroxide in the soil to kill the larvae and it won't harm the plants. I'm still worried though.

Taffeta:
You could try dish soap, but also as I said on the trivial complaints thread, they lay eggs in the moist topsoil, so watering plants from the bottom for a few weeks should break the cycle. We had this with one of our plants over the winter and that sorted the issue out (along with nasty sticky cards).

Today was hot, and the decorator has finally finished, so I took my poinsettia outside and repotted her. I took off some of her more rangy and unstable branches and her new pot is a bit taller so she is now well above the rest of the unit (it will be a while before she can reach my fire tablet again, mwahaha, she won't be changing my audio books any time soon). I am always nervous when I repot her because poinsettias hate their roots being messed with, and she's an oldish plant, but I think it went quite well. Fingers crossed.

Yesterday, I went out to water the greenhouse and found dad's tomato plants had blown over. One of them was hanging UPSIDE-DOWN off the edge of the staging. No idea why it didn't fall headlong, except luck. They're all fine, thankfully.

With the weather warming up, hopefully I'll get tubs and the basket planted up soon. It's been a stressful few weeks with one thing and another...getting out in the garden will be a nice break (watch it rain now for the next fortnight, LOL).

BlackCurtains:
What's the best way to do that. water from the bottom? I have shallow saucers.

Taffeta:

--- Quote from: BlackCurtains on May 09, 2024, 09:57:49 PM ---What's the best way to do that. water from the bottom? I have shallow saucers.

--- End quote ---

Depending how shallow the saucers are, then I would put water into that directly rather than onto the top of the pot. If it's very shallow, you may need to do it in small bits and let it absorb it up. The plant shouldn't need to stand in water, so it should absorb into the soil relatively quick and if it doesn't, then it probably doesn't need water.

That depends as well on how good the drainage in the bottom of the pots is, though.

BlackCurtains:
Okay, got it! I thought I'd have to put them all in the sink or something XD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version