collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Yorkie owners  (Read 1453 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Yorkie owners
« on: January 03, 2016, 02:15:36 PM »
What kind of hair cuts do you get for your dog? When Suki passed away I took in a Yorkie mix that is mostly Yorkie and has that type of hair. I cut my own dogs hair but Cobi is a poodle and I do a puppy cut with him. My dog that passed away was a Schnauzer and always had a close hair cut because she had skin allergies and the vet recommended keeping her hair short to keep an eye on her allergic reactions. I'm not sure what to do with Flo's hair. It's not to the point of needing a cut yet, but I feel like she will look weird bald, but maybe not if someone does that and it looks good. Suggestions?
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Kanchii

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Yorkie owners
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 02:46:37 PM »
People generally give yorkies puppy cuts unless you want to deal with very long hair

Offline CarolSpain

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 04:46:44 PM »
Hello,
It depends on what you like.
Really it's not necessary to cut their hair, but you must spend time taking care of the hair.

As Kanchii says, the puppy cuts are typical.

In my case (I have two!), we have hard summers, so some time ago I decided to do a short cut every year.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I will try to share a better picture soon.
If you have pics of MIB with text in Spanish, please, share with me!

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 05:03:36 PM »
I always gave mine layers. You do need to keep the hair on their ears short or it will cause them to fold permanently.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 09:42:09 PM »
Does their hair stay a decent length or if I don't cut it will she end up looking like a shaggy carpet? Fold permanently? Her ears do flop down. I don't know what you mean by fold because of the hair. I don't thin she has ever had a hair cut. She was one I took in out of a bad situation and is a year old. We have had a lot of issues potty training and with toy aggression. He vet said he thinks she was never taken care of properly. Her hair isn't super long maybe a few inches but is that normal? I thought their coats for super long if they weren't cut? I'm not sure how she would react to my clippers since she is still shy of stuff. I thought about going the long road and using scissors to give her a small trim first.

I just didn't want to shave her too short. The puppy cut I give my poodle is pretty short because he seems happier with less hair. Lol

Formerly Maddie

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 10:17:27 PM »
If her ears flop down then the hair already weighed them down so even if you trim them they will not stick up again. I think floppy ears are cute, but breed standard says upright. Her hair shouldn't be more than three to four inches by a year old. I would recommend the scissors for her first. Even quiet trimmers can scare dogs. I was a professional dog groomer and actually preferred scissors. You can leave her hair up to about three inches long without trouble. Brushing helps. Just be sure to check by her collar as it can rub into a mat and in between the toes. It can cause foot infections and other trouble for little dogs.

I love dogs!  :accomplished:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 07:28:00 AM »
Hello,
It depends on what you like.
Really it's not necessary to cut their hair, but you must spend time taking care of the hair.

As Kanchii says, the puppy cuts are typical.

In my case (I have two!), we have hard summers, so some time ago I decided to do a short cut every year.

I will try to share a better picture soon.

Too cute!!!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 11:31:30 AM »
if they are anything like a shih Tzu (minus growing the hair 'that' long), id just do puppy cuts.  Easier to manage and more comfortable for the dog :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 11:47:24 AM »
It really just depends on how much time you have/want to spend and what your dog tolerates. Good luck. Yorkies can be great dogs.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 05:12:20 PM »
Thanks everyone! Well my poodle has been getting cuts since he was tiny since of course he looks like a big Pom Pom if his hair isn't cut regularly. I started cutting his hair and my Schnauzets before she passed away years ago. My poodle does well and just sits or lays while I cut his hair. Last time he fell asleep. I do tend to do his puppy cut shorter than most because he seems to enjoy having less hair. I wouldn't want to really cut hers as short and I think you're all right in as giving her s little longer hair and using scissors. I just hope I don't mess it up badly! I don't have a groomer background, but I started doing my dogs hair because is hard to find a groomer in my area.

Her hair isn't super long at the moment. I just noticed like near her face and such I need to trim it down as its starting to cover her eyes. I don't want to let her hair get too long. The length it is now isn't bad. I live on a farm and se is a runner, and I cannot imagine trying to get everything out of a super long coat. Lol

Formerly Maddie

Offline tiggerkitn25

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+186)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 05:21:17 PM »
I was going to suggest a puppy cut too.  Look at the bright side, if you do "mess it up", it will grow back.  =) 

Kanchii

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 08:29:37 PM »
The toy aggression and potty issues aren't shocking, if I'm blunt xD Yorkies, and a lot of those small dogs in general, have that problem. Mostly it's people not being firm enough with them just because they are so "cute" and "little"

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 03:42:19 PM »
I have a yorkie/pom mix. I give him a regular terrier cut (I don't know if there's a name for that) like I would give to my mom's West Highland White Terriers, but I don't give him a "skirt". I don't show or anything, though, so I just cut his hair for practicality more than for appearances.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal