collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Actitivity on that MLPArena  (Read 7513 times)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Actitivity on that MLPArena
« on: October 15, 2023, 03:53:49 PM »
Does it seem like the activity on this site has slowed down?

I was looking at some of the very active collectors when I joined. And some have not been on here for years!

Makes me sad to see that! 

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Actitivity on that MLPArena
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 06:52:00 AM »
A lot of people have moved to social media. Old fashioned forums like this are hard to find now. Also, I know some people from the old days who got out of ponies all together.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 02:09:00 PM »
Most of the people I know from way back when aren't here now. Some of them are on Facebook or I see them at ponycon, but most aren't here any more, or aren't active. My memory goes back to 1998, however, which predates the Arena and goes back to the mailing lists. I'm usually surprised when I bump into someone who is still around/has come back who was there back in those days.

I am glad the Arena still exists, though. I don't mind that it has slowed - it feels like a relaxed, community of friends sharing information rather than a hyperactive hive of energy with threads racing past all the time.

I fundamentally hate social media - FB is the only one I use and for ponies, sparingly (and not trades). I like that forums mean actual conversation is still possible...but who knows how long it will last.

I miss all the other forums I used to be involved in, back when forums were the main way of connecting. I guess I'm just getting old ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 02:19:55 PM »
I guess I never looked at it that way as being a thing of the past. But your right!

I can't get into almost all of those other ones. I do have a facebook account and also an Instagram account. 

But I don't do that other stuff like snap chat and whatever out there. I don't how some can do all of them and still live a normal life.

I am also very happy that the ALPArena is still here along with the My Little Pony Trading Post.   

I remember how very active it was back when I joined in 2006. And then when there was that wave of male collectors. That sure died out fast it seems! Now it feels like the ponies in the stores are just for little kids again. 

There is also a point in life when one has no interest in something anymore, or they just can't afford it anymore.

I have left the site many times for a good lengh of time but just keep coming back! LOL

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 11:47:20 AM »
I love it here and yes I have social media but I would rather talk ponies here :) unfortunately I can't really participate in swaps a lot anymore because of the postal price hike >:( even cards are expensive to post but love virtual comps like the Christmas Carol comp :) and the threads on the new basic fun ponies /merch are always interesting

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 12:00:00 PM »
I'm glad the Arena's still around, even if it is a bit quieter these days. I hate how fast-paced social media is - much of it feels like if you're not glued to the site 24/7 and don't reply to stuff the *second* it goes up, you've missed out, and I hate that - forums are soooo much better.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 12:05:27 PM »
This is honestly the last forum I'm active on and it's still pretty active compared to another one I was a member of since 2002. It crawled to about 5 posts a year at most in the past decade or two which is sad but I'm glad this one is pretty active still.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Activity on that MLPArena
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2023, 12:37:54 PM »
Yeah forums are outdated sadly, but the chill atmosphere gives me nostalgia so I keep returning. (That’s not to say I’m not addicted to IG. :lookround:) My mood for collecting wanes at times, but I always have my eyes peeled for ponies and dolls (with the latter stealing my coins at the moment).
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline DracoKat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2023, 04:34:44 AM »
I am a lurker. Occasionally poster.
I just wish this forum was more updated. Its hard to navigate, not easy to post photos and I always get confused to how to get to the PM's. Maybe a refresh might get more people interested again?

But yea, everyone is on social media. There's nothing like a good forum to slow down and browse through at your own leisure too. I prefer forums over social media.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2023, 04:40:20 AM »
PMs are at the top of the page, under "My Messages". :)

I think the images thing is just a difference between social media and um.. non-social media. Traditionally, sites didn't let you upload your own pics like social media sites do. I don't think there's any way to get around that. But there's lots of free image hosting sites out there :)

Offline cowboyopossum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • So Soft Pony
  • I cannot contain my silliness | he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2023, 06:02:25 AM »
i use imgur! sometimes its a little tricky to remember which url works with the forums, but i get it figured out! i like forums better than some of the fast-paced social media sites, since its kinda hard for me to get into my niche there. like instagram, i post some collection updates and custom work but my posts only get like 2 likes maybe. it gets really discouraging.

Thank you Squarepeg and Wizard for my profile and sig!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2023, 06:13:55 AM »
i really do not like social media at all. 

I think most of the older collectors who have a large collection have packed it up and aren't actively socializing anymore.  Imagine the storage locker sales in a few decades!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2023, 06:37:53 AM »
i like forums better than some of the fast-paced social media sites, since its kinda hard for me to get into my niche there. like instagram, i post some collection updates and custom work but my posts only get like 2 likes maybe. it gets really discouraging.

I can relate to this.  I have Facebook and sometimes I don't get any responses (or a very few) to a post, yet others can say something like "Look at this bug I found outside!"  and get a lot of responses.

I'm glad the Arena is still here and active. :) I've met someone here that I consider a friend even though we've never met in person. 

I've noticed there are times with less activity than others, but I thought part of it was due to time zone differences.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2023, 06:43:43 AM »
I've been kicking around the forums since Pony Finders in 2003. Most of the good friends I've made in the community in that time have moved on from MLP and sold off their collections, either out of disinterest or life changes. There are quite a few who do still collect that attend pony meets, but social media is where we do the majority of our conversing. Not just about ponies, but about life events too. I honestly prefer the TP and Arena to discuss MLP rather than posting on Facebook, but like I said, most of my peeps aren't really over here anymore.

Offline cowboyopossum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • So Soft Pony
  • I cannot contain my silliness | he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2023, 06:58:25 AM »
i like forums better than some of the fast-paced social media sites, since its kinda hard for me to get into my niche there. like instagram, i post some collection updates and custom work but my posts only get like 2 likes maybe. it gets really discouraging.

I can relate to this.  I have Facebook and sometimes I don't get any responses (or a very few) to a post, yet others can say something like "Look at this bug I found outside!"  and get a lot of responses.

I'm glad the Arena is still here and active. :) I've met someone here that I consider a friend even though we've never met in person. 

I've noticed there are times with less activity than others, but I thought part of it was due to time zone differences.

Ponyfan
very well said, i think "virality" is so strange. someone could try their whole life and not be "viral" but if someone posts a stupid dancing video with like zero effort they get millions. (looking at you, Charli D'Amelio.)
for most everyday people its unattainable, which gets super discouraging to not have people appreciate the things you love. social media is kind of destroying people's perception of the world, only seeing things through a camera lens. even when i post in a server with my friends over discord they dont really pay any mind to new ponies or collection updates and it starts to hurt after a while. really i dont think children should be on social media at all, it can really damage their perception of things like relationships and friendships. everyone should have time off their devices, whether that be drawing or sculpting, taking up hobbies really has helped my mental health, even spending a little time petting my cats helps me feel better when social media gets me down.

Thank you Squarepeg and Wizard for my profile and sig!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal