collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "The Toys That Made Us”. Even more Interviews  (Read 22353 times)

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Re: "The Toys That Made Us”. Now looking for Awesome collections to feature!
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2018, 08:18:37 AM »
Honestly, I think her being interviewed for this could be a good thing. Her presence and promotion of the episode will probably get some bronies and other various people to watch, bringing a different audience and more people. They could learn a thing or two and some misconceptions could be corrected, which might help with some hate and attitudes. (Though there are ways this could be the opposite...)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Valerie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • ☼ I ❤ G3 ☼
    • View Profile
    • Valerie´s Pony Rainbow
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2018, 12:42:05 PM »
Curious, did any mlp members here enter their collection?  I'd be very excited to see u & ur collection :heart:

I send them some pics and the link of my video collection in Youtube, I wrote the email almost 10 days ago but I didn´t receive an answer yet.

Anyway, I know that in the Hello Kitty show they used without permission parts of a video of a youtuber I watch, she said that they never contacted her to ask if they could use her video, so, maybe I have chances and they use my vid without answer or contact me back  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My pics and video are about G3, maybe they want to focus on G1 and G4  :pout:

:sunny:   visitors can't see pics , please register or login
   :sunny:   

Valerie´s Pony Rainbow Tumblr - Instagram - Youtube
:heart:

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2018, 01:05:42 PM »
I wish I had my collection sorted ! I would love it to be on that program

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2018, 01:47:23 PM »
They could learn a thing or two and some misconceptions could be corrected, which might help with some hate and attitudes.

Unfortunately, I think any FIM fan that is actively hating on G1 is either 1) very young or 2) completely indoctrinated. With 1, the hate is just a middle-school-esque in-group/out-group reflex. They don't even know why they despise older MLP, they just do it because that's the decreed Thing To Hate. With 2, they're so up their own fandom that they really do believe that MLP as a brand needed "saving" and that a good-to-mediocre cartoon did it. (Because now men pay attention to it? Like that's a mark of quality instead of horsefeather sexism??) Either way, both groups are pretty unreachable at this point. You can't debate in good faith with either a 12 year old or a /b/rony.

I do believe that Lauren Faust has a genuine love of MLP, and that she really tried her best to make FIM a quality show while she was running it. (Hopefully, disliking the Friends and Tales cartoons doesn't make you a "fake fan", or I have about a thousand ponies to liquidate! lol) I think it's pretty cool that she had the opportunity to take what we all did as kids -- imagining personalities and adventures for our toys -- and turn it into something bigger. Faust owes MLP, not the other way around, and if we're talking about "The Toys That Made Us", that fits the bill pretty well IMO. But on the other hand, I'm not interested in hearing her or Tara Strong talk about the cartoon(s) at all. There have already been a thousand venues for that, so I hope the editors cut wisely.

I know that in the Hello Kitty show they used without permission parts of a video of a youtuber I watch, she said that they never contacted her to ask if they could use her video

That's terrible! :mad: I hope they behave more ethically for their MLP episode. I would hate to see anyone in our community get taken advantage of like that.

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2018, 05:26:51 PM »
I agree. For me, unless she talks too much about G4 or starts more misconceptions, I think her presence will be fine.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2018, 05:48:06 PM »
Just a reminder to keep this civil and on topic!!! - Loa

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »
Curious, did any mlp members here enter their collection?  I'd be very excited to see u & ur collection :heart:

I did! I dont have my hopes up at all, but it was fun even to just type up a little description and send out the email, just knowing they'd look and consider it!
Back after at least 4 years away!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2018, 07:30:24 PM »
Personally I will be disappointed if they make the show about the 'fandom'.

The only episode I think I've watched full through is the transformers episode as I chose that one first on netflix as it's the only toy of the episodes listed at the time that I was more invested in to watch.

The show was about the toy and the people that created it. I don't remember ever detail but I don't think that episode talked about the transformer fandom that much or even at all.

It was about the toyline, it's creation, and the creators of it, etc.

As far as I'm concerned that is what this program is supposed to be.

If they make the MLP episode all about the 'fans' (or more spacifically the G4 centered fandom) - It will be a big disappointment to me and I will probably complain to them.

I don't mind them talking to actual collectors like Summer, etc. People like Summer and others know the toyline. And since this show is about TOYS, they need to focus on the toys NOT the hype associated with G4.

If I see a bunch of humans yackity-yacking about G4 and who is 'best pony' or how G4 taught adult fans morals or how G4 is so much better because of how awesome the 'fans' are and how we're so tolerate (unless faced with a G3 pony)...

Just...no.

Okay.

I'm a G1 fan at heart. So I want it to be about the toyline, how the concepts came into being, how they created ponies, and I want to see the toy ponies.

If it's about the toyline, it's a WIN, IMO.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »
I’m excited for this episode, and I think it will be awesome. I hope it will feature the toy line more than anything else- and then the whole toy line. Including both G2 and G3. They have all contributed to the development of the brand ^.^

I have to say though that I am a little surprised at how often we try to compare G1 and G4. I have read several places, including this thread, that the G1 show is lacking in animation and narrative. This is a rant that goes a little off-topic- so I’ll put the rest under a spoiler.

Spoiler
I am a history teacher, so I might be a little too aware of this, but I constantly remind my class to look at literature, movies or products in the context and time era they were made. It doesn’t make sense to me to compare the animation from G1 to the animation in G4. Of course G1 will be lacking in comparison! The show was made in the 80’s! And the narrative we see in the FiM show would never have been approved for a childrens show in the 80’s. It just wouldn’t happen. Dialogue today is often written more witty and with a broader appeal - just look at concepts such as Shrek, Toy Story or Frozen. All with a broad appeal that has inspired teens, YA and grown-ups. It’s not unexpected that the same would happen to MLP.

The G1 show however were not made in a time were show-producers tried to also appeal to a broader audience. It was written for little girls and boys, in a different time than FiM. I read a lot about niceness, too much of it, when it comes to G1. To me - a lot of dark stuff happened in that show. I was scared silly watching Rescue at Midnight Castle when I was a kid! I wouldn’t say the show was all about niceness or a boring narrative. Was it the best show of the 80’s? No, probably not- but it wasn’t terrible either. I think it is extremely unfair to compare it to G4. And of course, the other way around.
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2018, 04:05:44 PM »
Another interview!  I'm really impressed with the number of people they have been able to dig up.

The incredible artist, Khipra Nichols! He went from studying automobile design to designing some of the very first My Little Pony playsets!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2018, 08:46:20 PM »
Oh, that’s very cool, Sunset!

I can’t wait for this episode.   I’m much more of a G1 fan than any other generation.  I’m interested in the stories of the people who brought My Little Pony to life.  That seems to be what the other episodes have been about.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2018, 05:52:53 AM »
I still hope for the G2/G3 thing to be acknowleged. Why the drastic redesign to G2, how G3 re-established MLP in the US and freshened up the brand.
People like to claim G4 saved MLP but G3 already did that a few years prior. My favorite part of MLP history - the gen so many people look down on for being "dumb, girly, no relatable characters" was actually what made MLP boom again.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2018, 06:38:27 AM »
G2 was from the "newly-acquired" Tonner designers, which they have interviewed in the past episodes. Shouldn't be hard to get them to dredge up a few memories...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2018, 07:38:35 AM »
Zapper - what great points. I agree G3 is really what brought back the line and with that money they were able to do G4 and take it in a different direction.

I also hope they don't gloss over or entirely skip G2 and G3. I would really love to hear more about the developement and design process for those lines.

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2018, 07:45:56 AM »
I'd love to hear more about G2, it always gets left out of these things :( Even if it just covered the US line, that'd be better than nothing..

and yes - I hope they don't act like G1 and G4 are the only gens that matter, too..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal