Pony Talk > Pony Corral

Info about G3 Birthflower Ponies

<< < (2/3) > >>

Loa:
They are super hard to get now, and were scarce at the time.

goddessofpeep:
I was hardcore collecting G3s as they came out at the time.  I was there from day one until the very end of the G3s.  The TRUs in my area tended to get new stock very early, if not first in the world.  This was probably due to my living close to the largest port in the country, and the port where all shipments from China arrive in the USA.  I was checking at least one TRU daily, and occasionally I would be the first person in the world to find something. I remember finding the birthflowers during my daily check. I basically got half the set the first day they were available.  I can’t remember exactly, but I may have been the first person to find those six, or at least the first person to post pics. I think I got the second half of the set from a couple of TRUs a few days later.

I don’t remember it being that hard to get the full set, though I doubt my experience was the average one since I was hunting every single day.  I do remember the birthflowers not being around long.  They were very popular, much more so than the birthstones, and they sold very quickly.  I think the birthstones hung around a little longer, but I’m not sure of it was due to distribution, or general popularity, or both.  I don’t think either set was restocked too many times, but birthflowers may have been restocked less.  Usually, each case had one half of the set, and I rarely saw all 12 ponies on the same shelf.  Each TRU usually got 1-2 of each pony per restock, and they did not stay on shelves long.

The birthflowers were more popular though. The imbedded gem style of the birthstones was more gimmicky, and the tinsel in the hair was unpopular at the time.  There also was definitely some extra nostalgia factor to the birthflowers that the birthstones didn’t have.  I think both sets were limited.  I’m not sure of the birthflowers were more limited, but their popularity is probably what is pushing their cost as much as anything else.  People went crazy when they were discovered. 

LadyMoondancer:
Yeah, even when they were in stores it was almost impossible to get the full set.  I was collecting back then and managed to get three.

goddessofpeep:
I was lucky during the G3 release.  I worked nights, and I had 2 Targets and a TRU nearby close enough that I could easily check daily, and 4-5 Targets, 3-4 TRUs, 2 KB Toys, 2 Walmarts, a Kmart, and a collectible toy store I could hit up if I had the time to do a full search. The local TRU was always very proactive with stocking, and would get their shipments early, so most of the time they’d have the new stock in the shelves at opening. It was easy for me to get the full set, but I was going *hard* for them once I found the first ones. However, I do recall the restocks being sparse.  They only got one or two cases of 6 ponies in at a time.  Since only half the set was in each case, and there was only one of each pony in the case, they sold out quickly. 

I don’t remember seeing the birthflowers hanging around long, or in any real numbers.  If you were looking for a specific month, any given TRU would only have one out on the shelf at a time, if you were lucky.   They did get restocked occasionally for a few months, but no store I saw had multiples of any pony on the shelves..

Shiverdam:
I don't ever remember seeing the Birthflower G3s on shelves around here. I didn't even know they existed until a few years ago, after G3 stopped being in production.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version