collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Good Dinosaur "shouldn't be watched by anyone under the age of 15"  (Read 13445 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
Re: The Good Dinosaur "shouldn't be watched by anyone under the age of 15"
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2015, 01:46:26 PM »
I got a flashback. Anyone else seen Silverfang? It's an anime about wild dogs. It's really violent, bloody and full of death. Back in the 80's it was in the kids section at the videorental and I watched it when I was 4. Akakabuto (a huge killer bear) scared me a lot, but today it's one of my fondest memories because of the context of how and with who I saw it. There were no parents in the room, but when my brother told me he would kill Akakabuto if he came near me in my room it made me feel safe. No nightmares.

Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin??? You guys got that in Europe????? Oh my god. I found that series on youtube as a teenager after watching the sequel series Ginga Densetsu Weed (Silver Fang Legend Weed). Yeah that was a pretty crazy series, not absolutely terrifying. The sequel series was probably worse. I'm just shocked that you found it in a video store at all lol.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2015, 03:36:16 PM »
I'm not even slightly surprised. I've been seeing some parents say that the Minions movie was 'very scary' and 'not suitable for kids', so hearing this about The Good Dinosaur was something I almost expected :P

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Kanchii

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2015, 05:40:48 PM »
Helicopter parents are the bane of my existence and creating over sensitive whiny kids. When I was a kid they had shows like Goosebumps running and it scared the poop out of us but we watched it anyway. Even normal cartoons had a lot of really scary stuff in it. They didn't sugar coat everything like they do now, and it makes me sad. Children are not dumb, they don't need to be so shielded from the "real world". It's going to make for maladjusted kids.

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2015, 07:33:04 PM »
I just re-watched The Land Before Time because I hadn't watched in well over a decade.  :blush: Found it on our On Demand and rented it. The Good Dinosaur is the Pixar version of The Land Before Time. The similarities are striking. And TGD is no scarier than TLBT.

sailorstitch

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2015, 02:37:38 AM »
I got a flashback. Anyone else seen Silverfang? It's an anime about wild dogs. It's really violent, bloody and full of death. Back in the 80's it was in the kids section at the videorental and I watched it when I was 4. Akakabuto (a huge killer bear) scared me a lot, but today it's one of my fondest memories because of the context of how and with who I saw it. There were no parents in the room, but when my brother told me he would kill Akakabuto if he came near me in my room it made me feel safe. No nightmares.

Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin??? You guys got that in Europe????? Oh my god. I found that series on youtube as a teenager after watching the sequel series Ginga Densetsu Weed (Silver Fang Legend Weed). Yeah that was a pretty crazy series, not absolutely terrifying. The sequel series was probably worse. I'm just shocked that you found it in a video store at all lol.

Yup! We had a lot of anime in Sweden growing up, dubbed to Swedish. Most people my age will talk aboout Candy Bell or Candy Candy and Starzinger which I never saw. I grew up with Lady Lady and Saber Rider. I was so happy when I found the DVDbox of the latter at a fair. I also have the complete Silverfang on DVD as well. :)

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2015, 08:24:07 AM »
The other night I watched American Tail, American Tail: Fievel Goes West, and Secret of Nimh. American Tail and its sequel were pretty creepy/dark. The first one even had a song where a few mice sang about how one of their family members/loved ones were killed by cats. Then the sequel was all about cats turning an entire population of mice in the west into food. The Secret of Nimh was pretty dark, but in a different sense, but I enjoyed that one much more. Don Bluth films definitely weren't afraid of being dark. I enjoyed them a lot as a kid.
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2015, 02:07:24 AM »
I saw The Good Dinosaur today and none of the kids in the audience were screaming or having to be carried out.  A girl in the row behind me quietly said "That's sad" several times and I could hear her sniffling/crying at one of the emotional parts near the end.  But you know what . . . I was crying at that part too.  And I cried at sad books and movies when I was a kid . . . It didn't mean I was traumatized, just that I was emotionally connected to the characters.

All this reminds me of people freaking out when The Lion King came out because ThE DAd DIES!!! and Simba blamed himself, and you had some people complaining it would lead kids to blame themselves if a loved one died???   Okay then.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

S.o.a.r.

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2015, 03:18:57 AM »
Judging from the trailer, I probably won't be seeing this movie because it honestly doesn't seem very good...

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2015, 06:33:36 AM »
I really have nothing to say on this subject....I'd probably be an awful parent. As I was raised not being banned from watching anything. And like 90% of the movies I saw where horror, the first movie I recall seeing in a theatre was Pet cemetery.

Princess Lala

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2015, 08:38:59 AM »

Ive seen this too! I like it a lot actually! We also called it Silver Fang here! =)

When I lived in Minnesota I went through this huge wolf phase.... I watched anything I could with wolves or foxes in it! <3 I watched the whole Wolf's Rain series when I was EIGHT! Not scary despite rotting bodies with flies, blood, gore, and graphic battle scenes. In fact so many scenes that made me hungry if anything, though I was sad when Blue always go hurt but she always got back up... until the last episode when everyone got slaughtered xD
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 08:46:56 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2015, 08:14:10 PM »

Ive seen this too! I like it a lot actually! We also called it Silver Fang here! =)

When I lived in Minnesota I went through this huge wolf phase.... I watched anything I could with wolves or foxes in it! <3 I watched the whole Wolf's Rain series when I was EIGHT! Not scary despite rotting bodies with flies, blood, gore, and graphic battle scenes. In fact so many scenes that made me hungry if anything, though I was sad when Blue always go hurt but she always got back up... until the last episode when everyone got slaughtered xD
So, I never did finish watching Wolf's Rain... guess I don't need to now. :/

Princess Lala

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2015, 11:19:21 PM »
^ believe it or not, I really didn't spoil much and you should still watch the rest of it or read the manga! The ending is actually happy which won't make sense because of what I said unless you watch it. I'm so surprised they never made a spinoff or another series! Its easy to figure out early in the series they were going to die eventually, sooo many hints. LOL Wolfs rain is still one of my FAVORITE anime series ever.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2015, 05:29:58 PM »
This should be a commencement ceremony address, not a president of an university's open letter to students who complained about the treatment they were receiving at their institute of post-secondary education:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/thursday-december-10-2015-1.3358629/university-president-confronts-student-sensitivities-1.3358726

Sad, sad, sad... I can't believe that children have been taught that someone else controls their sense of guilt.  :( 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2015, 05:52:20 PM »
A bit OT, but I enjoy seeing all the Don Bluth love. He's my mom's first cousin. :)

Are you serious? How cool!

Yes.  :)  His dad and my mom's mother are siblings.  I've met him a few times at family reunions and funerals.  Before he had his own animation studio, he did work for Disney, and he also has a brother (who goes by Toby) who was also an illustrator and animator.  But sadly Toby passed away a few years ago.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:55:28 PM by ashes »

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

AutisticandProudLuna

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2015, 06:02:20 PM »
Haha, I was going to ask if it was half as scary as Land Before Time, but then I saw that article. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it can't be scarier than the stuff we saw when we were kids! (Brave Little Toaster, anyone?)
i still have nightmares about that movie. *shudders* it wasn't until my 20's that i was able to throw anything away. didn't want my stuff getting revenge. now i can throw things out with marginal guilt. XD that coupled with the velveteen rabbit. yeah i was screwed.
but not only sex or violence that can "traumatize" children. can really be anything depending on the child and their personal experiences. so blanket statements like don't see if... aren't helpful.
some kids i know have read all of harry potter by the time they were 8, while other kids are still stuck in books like magic tree house. it really just depends. parents should be aware of how sensitive their children are and monitor them as need be. my niece is hyper sensitive and can't watch many episodes of mlp fim. it just depends.

Exactly my thoughts. Sure, some stuff is going to be just blanket not appropriate, but for the most part, things like this can't be given a cut-and-dry age. It really depends on the kid.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal