collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 - Cleaning Question - How do you get the tail back in?  (Read 714 times)

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
G1 - Cleaning Question - How do you get the tail back in?
« on: February 06, 2021, 07:18:45 PM »
A dumb cleaning question I know. How do you get the tail back in the pony after you decide to remove the washer?

So I bought used a So Soft Paradise today and decided to try and clean the flocking (which I have never tried before). So I rubbed her down gently with Dawn and ended up getting her pretty wet. I noticed the head was a little loose and figured what the heck so tugged it a little and it popped right off. So now that I can see the washer, decided it looks a little icky (again, never done this before). So now that she is set out in pieces to dry, I'm wondering how you get the tail back in? I have already looked at the mlp preservation project links.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 07:21:14 PM by toyjunky »

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G1 - Cleaning Question - How do you get the tail back in?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 07:29:11 PM »
Is the washer rusty or did it just need cleaning?

Set the washer aside.  You can usually fold the tail in half with the metal crimped piece parallel to the hair, then push the metal crimped piece right back through the tail hole, from the outside of the pony toward the inside, then use needlenose pliers or long forceps to pull the tail in just enough that you can reach to push the washer over the metal crimped piece.  Then readjust the tail by holding the metal crimped piece and tugging the ends so the metal crimped piece is perpendicular to the rest of the tail.  The washer will now be effective at keeping it from pulling through.  Then grab the rest of the tail that is still outside the pony and pull it back through as far as you can.  Ta da! 

If you have trouble getting the tail through the tail hole, you can try warming up the plastic around the tail hole with a hair dryer to soften it a bit.  You can also tie dental floss or similar around the tail near the metal crimped piece to help pull it through the hole.

Hope that helps.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 08:58:11 PM »
If you end up removing all metal pieces, I thread a string of some sort through the folded-over tail's loop and then use pliers to grab the string from the inside of the pony and pull it through that way. Once it's pulled through, then you can use your zip ties or whatever other securing method to make sure the tail isn't easily yanked out again.
Sunpony described it on the money for leaving the metal clamp on. I usually don't put the washer part back on and have found little problems just for normal shelf-sitting and tail-grabbing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 09:36:10 PM »
I agree with Sunpony and tailrustedtealeaf. Those are the two methods I use. I’d advise being gentle when putting the tail back in if you are using the original metal clamp. Maybe it’s just me, but it makes the plastic of the bottom flex a bit, and I’m always a little bit worried about making a split. We want the pony to have a tail, not a plumbers crack. It’s never happened to me but I’m not taking any chances either lol.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 10:18:41 AM »
Maybe it’s just me, but it makes the plastic of the bottom flex a bit, and I’m always a little bit worried about making a split. We want the pony to have a tail, not a plumbers crack. It’s never happened to me but I’m not taking any chances either lol.

LOL..... good point though.

The washer I was able to wipe off the grime and it looks clean now but I'm not sure if I want to put it back on. The metal clamp holding the hair looked fine when I pulled it out yesterday (I left it on the hair). Isn't it just the washer that tends to be the most problematic piece in regards to rusting? What would be the harm in leaving the washer off?

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 10:32:28 AM »
Both the washer and clamp can eventually rust. I've had situations where both were rusted, some where just the washer was.
The harm in leaving the washer off would just be that it might be easier to pull the tail out. You could use a ziptie in its place but I usually don't bother if the clamp is still on.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 03:03:29 PM »
If you ever sell the pony you'll want to put the washer back in, but if it's going to stay in your collection do whatever you prefer with it!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 03:42:31 AM »
Personally I've never removed a tail clamp, I have never found one that has rusted through. Any oxide on the tail clamp should be superficial. Try cleaning off with toothpaste or if that doesn't work try weak vinegar except on red or fluorescent tail colors. Keeping the tail clamp conserves the shape of the tail and any remaining curl or bounce.

Washers are often a little or extremely rusty when I find them. However, if the pony has been kept dry it may be fine and just need reassembling. I sometimes warm the tail hole up a little with a hairdryer since I find this makes it much easier to push the tail clamp (with tail) back in. Then I grab the clamp from the inside with a pair of forceps that I bought especially. Bring the clamp through to the neck hole leaving some of the other end still outside of the tail hole. Then I grab the washer, push the clamp back through he washer and adjust to the right angle. Then just pull the tail back out fully through the tail hole. You may need to adjust from inside with the forceps again to get the washer sitting right however I have seen all sorts when I've opened ponies. It's common that the tail is two different lengths because the washer is wonky so never be tempted to trim. If you trim a tail it's likely there won't be enough length to do the above method. Hope that helps.

A note on conservation of the washer... unlike the tail clamp which seems to oxidise very little the washer is just an iron pressing and can rust a lot. You could try gently sanding a rusted washer to remove the rust and then spray seal with a clear acrylic varnish known to be compatible with soft plastics, I think Testors Dullcote has been fairly well-used for customising and not found to cause any probs long-term. I think it's good to stabilise the problem while keeping the original washer with the pony. I'd initial the underside of a hoof anyway with aerospace marker just so as not to cause any confusion.

:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal