collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New G4 pony toy designs  (Read 29811 times)

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: New G4 pony toy designs
« Reply #300 on: November 13, 2019, 04:18:36 PM »

[/quote]

If you don't think its anything like Chowder why did you say the animation is similar?  :silly:
[/quote] Its not?? PLOT wise, and animation wise the only similarity it has is the post-2010 head style, that Disney AND CN both use. The similarity ends there. They are completely different otherwise, plot and such.

Post Merge: November 13, 2019, 04:22:38 PM

I'm so tired of this thread now. I've had a wild day
This is mood.  :blink:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 04:22:38 PM by caseysealia »

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 13, 2019, 04:41:18 PM »
Animation of this decade has been mostly good, in my opinion.  Seriously, there's been a lot of beautiful stuff this decade.  :lovey:

I'll admit the animation here looks like a step down from most of the previous cartoons (I'll need to see it next to Newborn Cuties, but I think these ones look closer to ponies than NBC, so there's that - I do like NBC though), but I'll watch the show before I decide on my overall opinion.

The promos for them are pretty lazy in my opinion - the video for them just goes around the toys like a low quality fanmade video, and as for the pictures, I couldn't even tell what I was looking at when I saw them (still can't in places.)

Suuuure there has. Nothing is more breathtakingly beautiful then the slew of ttg and adventure time clones that came out this decade. :rolleyes: Why, the visual quality of those shows put low talent hacks like Walt Disney and Hayao Miyazaki to shame.
We had a lot more than Teen Titans GO this year (side note: it's not overplayed in the UK if that helps) and... I can't think of single Adventure Time clone, so I think I'm missing something.

This decade gave us the following things;

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Shimmer and Shine
Sofia The First
Miraculous Ladybug
Elena of Avalor

Those shows specifically are beautifully done in my opinion, I'm inspired by how beautiful they are.  Other shows of this decade are either cute or fun (or both) and have more effort than Teen Titans GO seems to.

FiM is cheap CN flash-crap.

I did mention holdouts. But they're few and far between.

Copycatting Pixar is original? And in terms of animation style, Gumball is a Chowder rip-off.
FiM is in no way cheap in my opinion, even if you place flash as the lowest form of animation, I can clearly see that FiM made a lot of effort with what it had, and created something very beautiful - not as much as the other shows I mentioned or earlier things like G3 (not of this decade, I know), but it showed that flash can be beautiful and well detailed.  It showed you can do flash, and not do the bare minimum.  Compared to other flash cartoons I've seen, it stands out like whatever the good version of a saw thumb is.

Was the Pixar thing aimed at me?  I no longer care about originality if it was - it is what you view it as.

I know the Gumball/Chowder thing wasn't aimed at me, but I can't see how anyone can call Gumball's animation a rip-off of anything - it's a show made up of multiple animation styles.  It's the same as that picture floating around that's supposed say all CalArts cartoons look the same (which they don't really, it's just a similar style) it shouldn't include Gumball (the character), because, even if he is CalArts, not everyone in his show is.

There's definitely other things of this decade (I'd consider ALVINNN!!! and the Chipmunks as an example in a way - I know the chimpmunks are too humanized, but the scenery is beautiful in places), but the ones I mentioned are the first things I think of when I think of "beautiful" (I think of G3 before FiM, but the rule was "came out this decade".

There are far more shows this decade I think look good this decade than look bad, even if we don't limit ourselves to "looking beautiful".  At the end of the day, it's what is actually done with the animation, and how much effort shines through that matters in terms of looks, and I see a lot of effort in many things this decade - it's not all Teen Titans GO

All animation can look good if done right, and admittedly if the show's good it can help as well (but it works both ways.)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 04:46:14 PM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 13, 2019, 05:01:56 PM »

If you don't think its anything like Chowder why did you say the animation is similar?  :silly:
[/quote] Its not?? PLOT wise, and animation wise the only similarity it has is the post-2010 head style, that Disney AND CN both use. The similarity ends there. They are completely different otherwise, plot and such.

Post Merge: November 13, 2019, 04:22:38 PM

I'm so tired of this thread now. I've had a wild day
This is mood.  :blink:
[/quote]

Never said they were the same plot wise. But the animation has similarities up to and including cats, rabbits, usage of real life items, surreal animated moments , similarities in body shape, eyes and movement,etc. Could be that some of the people who worked on Chowder, also worked on Gumball as well. Which could explain the similarities, in which case I retract my statement.

MJN, No the Pixar comment wasn't aimed at you, but at Nemesis.

And FiM is as cheap and cookie cutter as the rest. Colorful, sure.. But beautiful? Not in the least. It can't compare to a multitude of other animation that didnt use flash. Cyberverse is colorful too but in no way can I call it beautiful, being an even more simplified version of Prime and RiD15.

Pony Life sure as heck isn't pretty being TTG 3.0
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:13:34 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 13, 2019, 05:24:53 PM »
Well, I opened a can of worms.

I know this is a placeholder, but I was thinking they were going to allow for a cooldown period between the end of FiM and the beginning of G5.  Considering G5 is going to be the same character just species bent, this runs more of a risk of brand fatigue.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 13, 2019, 05:30:58 PM »
MJN, No the Pixar comment wasn't aimed at you, but at Nemesis.

And FiM is as cheap and cookie cutter as the rest. Colorful, sure.. But beautiful? Not in the least. It can't compare to a multitude of other animation that didnt use flash. Cyberverse is colorful too but in no way can I call it beautiful, being an even more simplified version of Prime and RiD15.

The two shows I called different and original were Chowder and Gumball. There’s no way those can be compared to Pixar. The rest of the shows I simply held up as examples of good animation from the past decade. :)

And personally, I find FiM quite beautiful. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, in the end.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:41:08 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 13, 2019, 05:32:34 PM »
Thanks for explaining about the Pixar comment.

I personally can call FiM beautiful, and part of that is because it's colorful, but also because I think the characters have a nice design to it.  If you don't see it, then fine, we have different opinions on animation, but it definitely stands out to me, like they did something more with it.  Even if they simply polished it, it looks better than other flash shows to me - flash admittedly always looked kind of flat and simple when I saw it, and sometimes it still can, but FiM showed it could have more depth to it and could stand out more.  I would definitely say it's beautiful, personally.

Sorry if I'm coming across as argumentative, and I do respect it if you have a different opinion.  I have a nostalgic attachment to the shows I mentioned, and also this decade, so I am quick to respond in "defence" of it, but I can still respect opinions, and see the flaws in what I like - as beautiful as I find FiM it is still lower than The Beautiful Generation (that's what I nickname G3), and it can ruin it's own beauty at times by trying too hard with it's animation (like the wacky facial expressions from post-season five.)

Also, while I'm in no way saying the Pony Life animation looks beautiful, the more I look at it, the less I think it looks like Teen Titans GO, it's definitely chibi and simplistic, but TTG?  Nope... different style to me.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:54:45 PM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 13, 2019, 06:29:43 PM »
Steven Universe and Gravity Falls had some very pretty, detailed backgrounds, imo. FIM had some good ones too, especially in later seasons.

Also, I wonder what the hair quality on these toys will be like? From the pictures, it doesn’t look good.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #307 on: November 13, 2019, 06:35:07 PM »
Ok anyway.
Now I have to amend all my reboot brushable edits on the wiki. Sigh. Work never ends.  :work:
My friend started a wiki (seperate from mlp.fandom) for the new show so I'll certainly be involved!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 13, 2019, 06:37:00 PM »
Did those My Little Ponies just sing a profanity? :O

The toys have grown on me a bit. A BIT. They're kinda cute in their own way but too similar to lots of other toys out there and like pony toys can be so beautiful and graceful as seen in gens 1-3 why do they have to do this?? You don't have to do this Hasbro -_-

I'm really disappointed that this is the way MLP is going and hope that it is only temporary. I miss G4 already and I haven't even watched like the last 3 seasons hah. Not a fan of the overly goofy/dramatic/squishy animation in that little Instagram clip. I get that it's for kids but it could have SOME dignity couldn't it? I mean I'll reserve my actual judgement for when I've seen the real thing but my hopes aren't high based on that glimpse.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 13, 2019, 06:48:12 PM »
Also, I wonder what the hair quality on these toys will be like? From the pictures, it doesn’t look good.

It looks like the same hair used in the “Retro” Mane Six pack... So yeah, probably on the cheap side. :/

Still, I think I’ll buy at least one. I like to have every style of pony represented in my collection, for contrast.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #310 on: November 13, 2019, 07:28:29 PM »
At least the "retro" mane 6 have nice feeling hair. It looks like from a pic that the hair quality will be down again, sadly. I'll hopefully be able to edit the review as soon as possible tomorrow to have it come out late that night.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 13, 2019, 09:51:31 PM »
Enough.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal