collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Opinions, anyone?  (Read 5107 times)

Offline DannyAzazel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Opinions, anyone?
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2013, 01:37:40 AM »
I only really got one and it's that I HATE tinsel in most ponies. Some it's okay but I'd much rather pull out all the tinsel. It just crinkles easy and just bothers me.

Oh and I guess BBE are creepy but I don't hate them and I don't really see that as unpopular.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2013, 01:39:43 AM »
Oh, forgot one..

Unipegs.. They have always seemed like fakies to me.
I was really annoyed when I first saw them in FIM and it still bothers me. It's just so cliche and overdone...not to mention that unicorns and pegasai are very different creatures in mythology.

Ah! That's EXACTLY how I feel! I never liked them when I was little either, hehe. But they're growing on me since Luna and Cadance are two of my favorite characters :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2013, 01:51:36 AM »
Most of my opinions involve "omg you are DOING IT WRONG!" in extremely subjective ways (meaning I'm only 'right' in my own head!), so at risk of offending other people, I will keep those to myself. But just FYI, if you give Rainbow Dash ringlets OMGAWD U R DED 2 ME!!!111one /frothing

(I kid, I kid! :lmao: But now I wanna see RD with ringlets...!)

My 'judgey moment' is, ironically, other people being judgey - I make a frowny-face when people come into a thread and say stuff like, "oh, you ship X with Y? well, clearly you didn't know that in MY head they are shipped with Z, so you're doing it WRONG. Here's 90 pictures of MY ship." Let other people have their own headcanons! There's nothing wrong with saying you ship X/Z or even Y/Z, but showing up to say "oh ew, X/Y is SO WRONG" makes me huffy. People can ship different things, that doesn't make them wrong - because none of the shipping is CANON! Different headcanons are fun, they don't take anything away from yours simply by existing!!

Bwahaha!
It was only about halfway though you post that I realized you meant relationSHIPPING and not like, going to the post office shipping.
When you said Ship X with Y I thought you must have been talking about those who do and do not use plastic baggies, ship with scented things, etc etc... XD Selective reading I guesss XD
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2013, 02:25:53 AM »
- I think most FIM background ponies are boring (and sometimes ugly) looking. It wouldn't be a problem if people didn't get so obsessed by them and if Hasbro didn't just base so many toys on them. I hate how so many male ponies got brown slapped on them and how there are nearly no ponies with multicolored manes anymore. Not to mention the simple and often recycled cutie marks. Seriously, the next "fan favorites" set will have two ponies with the same cutie mark. Just no.
- I don't worship anyone who works on FIM and i wish some of the people who worked on FIM were a bit more humble.
- I like G3.5 ponies. I think more people would have started to like them if there had been more characters and all that.
- I wish the new fandom would care a bit less about it's own fanon and a bit more about MLP as a whole.

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2013, 02:45:50 AM »
*ducks behind barricade*

I.... don't like G1s. They look kinda bloated with oddly shaped legs. I don't like their 'bubble butts' either.... Their bottoms are so large and round, and their torsos are kinda short. Plus, most of their poses make them look worn out, or downtrodden. Lots of them are kinda like a cart pony turning to look forlornly at you over their shoulder. I feel like I've wronged them when I look at them. They don't seem sweet or shy to me. I just don't like them. I like G4s because they have a unique look, and they're not 'in between'. Other generations try to design to resemble a pony somewhat, but not too closely... and it doesn't work as well. G4 to me has its own style, and wants to look that way. They don't look like a real pony much, but their design is cute and they go all the way with that.
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

spookysage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2013, 02:59:08 AM »
Yeah, I don't care for customs that are not-hasbro/show like, they are usually from people with much talent, but I find no appeal in customs with random corsets, super fancy sculpted wings, random designs painted all over them, super elaborate eyes... too much.
Very well made, just, not my taste. I prefer simple customs that could fit in with other ponies.
I DO end up like some crazy customs though.

They're not to my taste either, but I wouldn't say they're not Hasbro-like - just look at some of the con exclusives and the G3 art/collector ponies ;)

Something else I don't care for about some customs, though, is the way they're named. You know, that particular genre of custom pony name that's an obscure/exotic sounding human name? Pretty meh to me. Though pony names can be hard to come up with sometimes...

While I'm at it, I'm not a fan of sticking pins in pony heads to style hair, not sure why. I can come up with some justifications at the drop of a hat, though - like what if, twenty years from now, we start seeing an epidemic of mane rust?

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2013, 03:09:15 AM »
Oh, forgot one..

Unipegs.. They have always seemed like fakies to me.
I was really annoyed when I first saw them in FIM and it still bothers me. It's just so cliche and overdone...not to mention that unicorns and pegasai are very different creatures in mythology.

Ah! That's EXACTLY how I feel! I never liked them when I was little either, hehe. But they're growing on me since Luna and Cadance are two of my favorite characters :)

I think it is something to do with the fact that I always pictured Pegusai as being such cuddly sweet  playful little things, like a baby bird with soft wings and fur..
And the Unicorns, living so many years are tough, regal, hardened.. with sharp jutting horns and very dutiful personalities .. Of course, that's just my own silly logic!
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

PandoraFox

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2013, 03:55:37 AM »
My 'judgey moment' is, ironically, other people being judgey - I make a frowny-face when people come into a thread and say stuff like, "oh, you ship X with Y? well, clearly you didn't know that in MY head they are shipped with Z, so you're doing it WRONG. Here's 90 pictures of MY ship." Let other people have their own headcanons! There's nothing wrong with saying you ship X/Z or even Y/Z, but showing up to say "oh ew, X/Y is SO WRONG" makes me huffy. People can ship different things, that doesn't make them wrong - because none of the shipping is CANON! Different headcanons are fun, they don't take anything away from yours simply by existing!! 

Oh gods this. While I've had the luck not have the ire aimed at me personally, I've seen too many shipping wars in general. It's like people think you're liking your personal preferred ship AT them or something. As if you having a different preference means it completely invalidates their opinion. Where do they keep getting that from?
Mind you, I have a few ships in several fandoms that I consider to be the one way it ought to be, but I realize fully, that that is my opinion and others do not have to agree.

On the pony collecting front.
I pull the head off most ponies I get. I get most of mine in grimy dirty condition and try to fix them up.
I don't want to find out weeks later that they had mold/rust problems that god worse and now I get to do it again.
Not to mention that they all need a wash, shampooing and often more then one conditioner treatment. So much risk of water getting stuck inside, that I really want to be sure they can dry properly.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 05:23:53 AM by PandoraFox »

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2013, 04:16:37 AM »
woooooooo! I don't like Big Brothers or Mountain boys!!!!!!!! yussss that feels good :)
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2013, 04:17:58 AM »
I thought of another one:

I HATE baby G2's. I love the adults, and everyone seems to think the babies are "soooo cute!!!!" eh, no. Ick!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Archer

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/manga_mayhem/index.html
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2013, 05:10:05 AM »
Not going to lie, i've been nodding through some of the things said in this thread lol.

I do not like G1 or G2 customs at all. Not because they're older ponies, nostalgia rubbish or anything like that, but because they look really weird as customs. Especially full body repaints on them. I don't know whether that's a plastic thing or what but they just look weird lol. G3 and G4 customs look far prettier than the two older gens do.

I love the mermaid ponies from G1 (i know so many that hate them) and i wish the g3.5 mermaids had been new characters. If they had i've had been all over them lol.

I do not get why Rapunzel is so expensive, i agree with others that she is a bit ugly looking lol.

I hate Sport Time's pose on girls. It's such a boyish pose that ponies like Gingerbread and especially Sweetstuff look really fugly lol.

I love the later years of G1 when they went slightly crazy with their designs than the early years that were all pastel colours.

I hate that people hate on DH :( She's such a cute pony :D (and more like me in more ways than i care to admit lol)

I never liked the G3 art ponies. I thought they looked tacky and never understood the excitement around them

Oh and just to echo what someone else on here as said, i don't get the buying of nirvanas that look like the regular release. I get the ones that look different (i have some of my own) but not ones that look identical.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2013, 05:27:23 AM »
More often than not when I see people's customs, the only thing that comes to mind is "that is hideous and a waste of a perfectly good toy", because they're covered in fake gemstones / feathers / sculpting / paint or other stuff that makes them likely to break the first time they're so much as knocked over.  Consigned forever to the shelf, the display cabinet, never able to be played with.

I hate the look of full body repaints. All I can think about is that they're going to start peeling in a few years, as the plastic breaks down... *shudder*

It bugs me when people refer to G1's having "cutie marks".  They're not cutie marks. They're symbols.  They were always called symbols, "cutie mark" didn't come about until much later on, and it's just so silly sounding. 

And then I feel silly for having such opinions, since it doesn't really matter one bit.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 05:34:13 AM by Baby Sugarberry »
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2013, 07:28:05 AM »
I love tinsel. If its a pony with tinsel, I need it!

I dont like G4. I do like the show, but not the toys. Especially blindbags, not my thing.

And I dont like customs. I dont want them in my collection, and I often feel bad when G1 ponies are turned into customs, I feel like even the worst cases are good for restoration.

:blush:

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2013, 07:53:46 AM »
Most of my opinions involve "omg you are DOING IT WRONG!" in extremely subjective ways (meaning I'm only 'right' in my own head!), so at risk of offending other people, I will keep those to myself. But just FYI, if you give Rainbow Dash ringlets OMGAWD U R DED 2 ME!!!111one /frothing

(I kid, I kid! :lmao: But now I wanna see RD with ringlets...!)

(But I may be reading this too much from my own RL - let's just say, don't bring up Fluttermac around me anymore, cuz it makes me twitch due to a particular friend whose posts DRIVE ME UP THE WALL! :P Apparently, people who don't ship Fluttermac are just 'misguided' and 'heterophobic' or something.)
I may have to draw RD with ringlets now! (Though tbh in the context of your post I read that as shipping RD with Ringlets at first. Oops.)

But yeah, Ship to Ship Combat is no bueno. Fandom is meant to be fun, why stress over it? Nobody's right or wrong when it comes to shipping.

Duster reference]

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2013, 07:54:25 AM »
There isn't a lot I don't like in the MLP hobby. 
Saying this, I absolutely strongly dislike the whole Equestria Girls... thing. Not even really knowing a whole lot about EqG's, I can honestly say I don't care for the anthro-ish characters. I just don't care for animal/human mash ups.  :huh: The merchandise might be interesting but I would not watch the show because in my mind they are and will always be ponies.

- I also strongly dislike gore though I enjoy zombie movies. I kinda feel like a lot of gore mods are pretty sloppily done. I usually avoid looking at these types of customs.

- I can't wrap my mind around merponies.  >_< Some are beautifully done, but the awkward pose and serpentine like contortions creep me out and make me think " yeah, they are fake animal toys but there is no way I can imagine a skeletal system working for this thing ".

* Sea ponies/ horses are lovely, I'd love to see a well done sea dragon custom done with a sea pony mold.

- I love baby ponies!! G1's teeny tinies, newborn twins, and baby ponies make up the bulk of my collection. I'd love to have all the G2's babies. I have a few G3's but those babies always looked funny to me. I don't much care for them.

- G3's show, especially the newborn cuties, is appalling to me. Computer generated animation cartoon shows have always irritated me. I'm a big fan of the hand drawn and painted cartoons because it's a labor of love, it looks a lot better ( in my opinion ) and it has a life to it unlike the cold and stale computer generated shows.

Avvie By Watercolors

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal