collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your Most Unexpected Favorite Pony  (Read 1631 times)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Your Most Unexpected Favorite Pony
« on: July 15, 2016, 08:52:11 AM »
We all have our favorites - but I am sure some of them you never expected to be your favorite! I would like to know; who are your most unexpected favorites - the ponies you didn't really look at before, but now you would never part with in a million years? And why do you think they suddenly (or not so suddenly :P) won you over?

Here is my two;

Morning Glory - my least fav flutter, but after getting this girl super cheap - she just suddenly melted my heart when I cleaned her up. I think it is because she is my most successful clean-up - she looked terribly when I got her and now she is just shining :biggrin:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Morning Glory

The second is Baby CJ - I bought her at a whim, not even sure why because Cherries Jubilee was never really a pony that I wanted when I was growing up. But then very slowly she grew on me (it was the green eyes - I tell you, the green-eyed ones are super convincing!). Too late though, I realized how much I liked her and sold her to a new happy home. But I still miss her :cry:

Look into my eyes and I will tell you your secrets

Let us hear yours!  :biggrin:
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
Re: Your Most Unexpected Favorite Pony
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 09:19:59 AM »
One of my unexpected favourites is actually also Morning Glory! I got her very early in my collecting days as a RAOPK and was just smitten by the look of flutter ponies. I had never seen one in person before that.
I then bought Rosedust, as well, thinking I'd like her better since the colours are more appealing to me, but Morning Glory is just... special. There's something with her that I just love.
I sold both Morning Glory and Rosedust though a few years ago, and I have really regretted that. >.<
Today, however, I actually picked up some pony mail, containing - yeah, you guessed it - Morning Glory and Rosedust ^-^
Here's a picture of my original one. I'll take pictures of my new one for a brag as soon as she's been through some spa treatment ^^

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 09:29:10 AM »
Blushie-I never expected her to win me over so completely. She's such an overused color scheme and her name is so dumb! But I loved her the moment I saw her and she'll always be one of my favorite G3s.

Skyflier-I knew I would like her, I never realized I would love her. She's one of the unexpected darlings of my herd.

Hula Hula-I snubbed the whole set, partly for their "tacky" eyeshadow, until I saw her on eBay. She was insta-faved as soon as I opened the box and guess what? I love the eyeshadow ! I'm definitely getting her set mate, Sea Breeze and I would love to have PiƱa Colada.

Yum Yum-I I used to think this flutter was kindly ugly, but once again seeing a bunch of legit photos turned me around. (Thanks arena peeps) Seeing her in person made her another favorite.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline HorsingAround

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 09:59:19 AM »
TAF Yum Yum! When I was a child she was one of my least favorites. Over time my parents got rid of almost all of my toys but some how she was one of three ponies that survived the purge. Lol.  Since I never played with her as a child, she's still in minty condition! She has even inspired me to start a TAF Yum Yum army, current my army is at a modest 5 but steadily growing. :)
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Offline NigheanRuadh

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Pony rescuer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 10:14:21 AM »
Star Hopper.  At least, my rescued version of her.  :silly:  I've never cared for the Powder pose (even though I've had Power for as long as I can remember), but I loved the way she turned out after I did a custom restoration of her.  :good:

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 10:22:21 AM »
Hm this is pretty tough.

I think I have to go with Sundance.
I bought her from an IG sale a few years ago with her bridle, and she has been a part of my herd ever since. And many ponies have come and gone but I cant part with her even though she isn't in perfect condition. It must be the cute bridle she wears all the time XD

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 11:44:39 AM »
Bowtie! I'm not very fond of 'bland' ponies, I prefer some with brighter colours. She always seemed a little bland for my tastes. But I got her - and her baby - and stuck them on my shelf. They're actually really cute. I fell in love with her colour scheme, the blue and pink work so well together. I'm a sucker for ponies with freckles, and her pose is really sweet, too. I love Bowtie so so much.

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 11:47:22 AM »
Good question!  Though I was originally just collecting the set for sake of completion, I soon found myself enchanted with this pretty girl:

I like Starglow so much I have two! (But photobucket is being a poop, so I can only fetch one of their photos... :mad:)  The patterns made by the glowy hearts are so different from pony to pony - and so lovely! - I couldn't resist keeping both of them... and now they cast a soft glow over my room at night. ^.^

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline Chelsea7

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 11:49:02 AM »
G1 Tropical Hula Hula. I wasn't all that interested in the dark pinky/purple but once I got her I ended up really liking her a lot more than the others in her set!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:37:02 PM by Chelsea7 »
My Tumblr

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 01:20:31 PM »
Good question!  Though I was originally just collecting the set for sake of completion, I soon found myself enchanted with this pretty girl:

I like Starglow so much I have two! (But photobucket is being a poop, so I can only fetch one of their photos... :mad:)  The patterns made by the glowy hearts are so different from pony to pony - and so lovely! - I couldn't resist keeping both of them... and now they cast a soft glow over my room at night. ^.^

Agreed! I just couldn't find a picture of mine. I'm not a huge fan of green, but as soon as I got mine I was on love ;w; I really like her symbol, too.

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline HappyHounds

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 01:39:18 PM »
Hmm, my unexpected favorite(s) have to be Fluttershy and Hidden Treasure!

Fluttershy II
I've always liked the G3 Fluttershy, but never liked her base color. So when I came across her in a flea market, I really wanted to bring her home & clean her up.
She is a beautiful addition to my collection, & glad to have her

Hidden Treasure
I always thought she was just too pink for my liking, but once I cleaned her up, I fell in love!
I love getting a dirty, unwanted pony, cleaning them up, & just look at their fresh, clean glow; They seem so much happier & bright
I also absolutely adore the G3 Pegasi!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 02:04:45 PM by peaxhy »
Previously known as: PeaxhyPie

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 01:45:50 PM »
Quite a few.  Shady, Beachball and Cotton Candy spring to mind.  I only really keep 'favourite' ponies these ones are definitely staying. I really fell in love with Galaxy again when I finally saw her in person as well. Now she's one of the only three TEs that I kept!  I also really loved Firefly in person, when I thought I'd only wanted the movie version. I love that pose now.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:50:26 PM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 02:01:12 PM »
Mine was a gen 3 pinkie pie I found in a snow pile at work she was very grimy, and her hair is nearly white, as that was the only part that was sticking out. Looking at her now I love the white with a hint of pink hair.

Offline Shy Violet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 02:06:36 PM »
Baby Cherries Jubilee for me too. I'm not terribly fond of her mom so she wasn't big on my want list but I saw her for a good price and snagged her because her set is one of my favorite sets and I needed her as part of completing that set. Wow was she adorable in person!!! Those freckles! I am just in love with her.

Another one is So Soft Paradise. I do eventually want to complete my So Softs so she was on the list but not high priority. I found her at the thrift store 2 weeks ago and she is almost mint! Beautiful white flocking, almost no flocking loss, her hair is gorgeous with original curl. She is so stunning and such a wonderful surprise because most thrift store ponies need lots of tlc and cleaning but she was perfect after a minimal spa day. I still haven't gotten a picture of her since it's been raining non stop but I'll update with photos this week.

So those are the 2 off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking of right now.

Edit to add: The Tropical ponies. I got Pina Colada and adore her! She's one of my favorites. I bought the other 3 recently and I really love this whole set and they were such an impulse buy, not on my radar at all. I don't have pics of the set yet but this is my beautiful Pina Colada.  :inlove:

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 02:14:53 PM by Shy Violet »

Offline katrine2309

• Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 02:20:19 PM »
This is so awesome to read! Great stories :)

And so many amazing ponies, I knew this thread would dig up some new ponies for me - and yes, it did! I actually never seen Starglow! She is amazing - I love that color green <3

@Shy Violet Eeep! Your Baby CJ is so adorable! And that set is one of my fav sets as well! Actually, I love all earlier baby ponies, they are so smashing cute :P 
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal