collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your opinion on earth-toned or "naturally" colored ponies?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on earth-toned or "naturally" colored ponies?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 02:58:46 PM »
I've never.. ever been a "horse person".. so I don't think I'd be a fan if MLPs were more naturally coloured. -shrug-
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 04:10:23 PM »
I'm not much of a "horse person" either and the only way I'd be interested in realistic colored ponies would be if they were decked in elaborate fancy tack and saddles.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 04:14:56 PM »
My first was the brown My Pretty Pony so I probably would have liked those too.  The black one is so cute.   But I would have only owned one or two.  It was the specials that made me pony crazy for the rest of my life.  I did wish for more markings like Bubbles and Seashell though.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 04:49:32 PM »
I love natural coloured horses but I don't know how well they would work with MLP in particular. My Pretty Pony and Jenny are some of my favourites but I think they are so special because they're so few. I think the best way to include a realistic aspect to the ponies is to add small design elements but keep the overall theme fantastical. Quite a few ponies had freckly face markings like Applejack, Bow Tie and Rosette, Bubbles and Seashell had a white blaze, Cotton Candy has an appaloosa-esque symbol, the Big Brothers and Baby Brothers have clydesdale feathering, and G4 Princess Luna/Nightmare Moon has a 'blanket' style marking on her rump - but overall they are still brightly coloured fantasy ponies. The Dream Beauties are also a good blend of a realistic shaped base with fantastical markings and coloration.

Zecora is probably the most realistic coloured animal in all of MLP but then she has gold jewellery and a mohawk, and her brushable toy was made glow in the dark, so it pulls her back into the fantasy elements a little. G1 Pony Friends were similar in that they are realistically shaped and marked, but then the colour schemes were lots of different pastels and neons and pinks and purples and blues. Creamsicle is particularly interesting as the most naturally coloured, but with pink petal blossom used in place of brown giraffe spots.

I think a set or two of realistic ponies would be nice to have, but I don't know how popular they would be. Lemon Drop's show stable, Butterscotch and the Gymkhana set, and Rosette's Prize Day are probably some of the more realistic looking and acting horses in MLP and they're relatively popular, I think...? I know that I used to adore my realistic Barbie horses in the 90s-00s (oh, Walking Beauty, how I miss you!) and recently Angus from Brave and Sven the reindeer from Frozen have been making tracks in their toylines. I'd definitely buy into realistic MLPs, I love the idea of it!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »
they're  ok in my opinion, I just see them as something interesting and unique outside the mlp norm to look at. i collect ponies because of childhood colorful happy memories, i collect model horses for my realism kicks :D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 06:35:54 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 06:51:40 PM »
As a kid I was definitely one of those "horsey!" types. Anything and everything horse was good enough for me be it natural or sparkle-horse colors. I stuck with MLP because I mostly liked the style of the dolls to be quite honest. I love the wide variety of bright colors but I'd also love to see natural colors on some ponies (as if my avatar wasn't a dead give-away). Real horses come in so many beautiful colors and patterns! It's a shame we don't have many official MLP dolls to really show that off. Those prototypes in that video were ADORABLE.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 07:00:54 PM »
I wouldn't mind a few (I'd love a pony with Butterscotch's coloring in Posey's pose) but no more than that.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

brittney_rochelle

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »
It would be pretty cool to have those.

Incidentally, Bonnie Zacherle once mentioned that they originally wanted to have a line of ponies in their natural colors (also it was to be a toyline for both girls and boys). She even showed off some of the prototypes at one of the conventions (there's even a video of it on youtube).
I've had this on my 'bucket for a while. Is this what you were talking about?

I would like to see them! I've always had toy horses, MLP were the "magical cousins"  to my "normal" ones. I like the idea of a history or ponylore!

cutest-curtsey

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 09:21:38 PM »
They certainly are cute to see :D
But probably not something I would collect.  ;>>

Offline Tabbyclaw

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »
Or that in the show she had brought her ponies to visit the magical ponies. I just always wanted some kind of interaction (or even acknowledgement from the characters) there.

That would be creepy. "Hey, guys! I brought your nonspeaking, nonsapient cousins to see you! They live what you would consider a life of slavery!" And if it turns out her horses are self-aware while in Ponyland, that would just raise a whole host of ethical questions.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 11:15:43 PM »
I think that if I wanted 'natural' ponies, I wouldn't be an MLP fan... For one, a herd wouldn't be as fun to look at. Horses can be beautiful, but... the whole point of herds of creatures like zebra, horses, deer, etc is that they blend together and with their environment. Sooooooo..... at least the way I display my ponies, things would begin to look really samey. I'm near-sighted as well, so I'd have to be wearing my glasses all the time just to enjoy my collection. With something like Breyers... well... it would be a big brown blob. As they are now, I can sit on my bed, turn my head, and see a fun rainbow of colors. If I focus, certain ponies or details pop out, and since they get shifted and rearranged occasionally, it makes it fun to see who has wound up where. Does this mean I dislike the few ponies that could be feasible in reality like Silver Spoon, sort of Muffin, and Zecora?  No, of course not. Because their more natural coloring is rare, and so they stick out just like the rare blue colored ponies, or the sparkly ponies, or the tall ponies.... But I've always loved lots of color, so....
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »
I think pastel colors are what make MLP what it is. But I wouldn't say no to some earth-toned ones or darker colored ones, I think they would make a great curiosity. :)

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 01:06:55 PM »
PINK!

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 03:08:15 PM »
Nope not for me. I like the fantastical aspect - the symbols and the colours :) Its what makes MLP unique and so varied. I would quickly have been bored and probably never collected if we just got ponies in various shades of browns and greys, blacks and whites.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 09:21:36 PM »
I was in the audience for that video!  I remember looking at them, and thinking the idea of a unisex MLP toy was a good idea, and as an adult I would probably want one or two, but as a kid, I probably wouldn't have been interested.. The pretty color combos are what makes MLP (to me) and a natural colored line most likely wouldn't have appealed to me as a child.

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal