collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your opinion on earth-toned or "naturally" colored ponies?  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Silver Glade

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Collector for Life!!
    • View Profile
Your opinion on earth-toned or "naturally" colored ponies?
« on: October 26, 2014, 09:52:11 AM »
So, we all know that one of the signature features of MLP is all of the rainbow coloring the ponies have - Technicolor combinations that are, obviously, fantastical and nothing like real horses.  :P

I've got another hypothetical question for you guys!  What are your thoughts on MLP figures with "natural" coloring, i.e. coat colors and patterns based on actual horse breeds?  There are a few out there (like the Macau Jenny who is currently winning today's Derby poll), and most people know that MLP started out as the large "horsey-colored" toy, My Pretty Pony.

Would you have liked it if there were a couple special releases or sets of ponies in various browns, grays, golds, etc.?  Or is the candy coloration one of the most appealing things about MLP that attracted you in the first place?

Personally, I like the "reverse fantasy" idea of coloration in the MLP world; that earth-toned horses are just as otherworldly to the Little Ponies as their candy coloring is otherworldly to us.  Maybe some MLP legends and folklore have earth-toned ponies as the protagonists!  Or maybe earth tones were the "primitive" state of MLPs, and somewhere along the line they evolved into more random and bright coloration.   :rainbow:

I think it might have been fun to have a few special releases in G1 of "real world" colors - like a few mail order variants, or something.  What say you guys?

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
Re: Your opinion on earth-toned or "naturally" colored ponies?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 10:20:07 AM »
daring do is pretty darn close to earth toned ;) so I would say yes on the reverse logic LOL :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Moonracer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 10:28:31 AM »
It would be pretty cool to have those.

Incidentally, Bonnie Zacherle once mentioned that they originally wanted to have a line of ponies in their natural colors (also it was to be a toyline for both girls and boys). She even showed off some of the prototypes at one of the conventions (there's even a video of it on youtube).

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 11:14:47 AM »
For me it's the fantasy aspect that makes MLP and really sets it apart. The occasional real toned pony is interesting as a curiosity but if I wanted that on a regular bases, I would collect Breyers more.

I have seen the interview with Bonnie about her original concept and all I keep thinking is "thank goodness she wasn't the only one who had a hand in the creation of MLP."  I know that opinion might not be popular but it is my heart felt belief that MLP wouldn't have been as popular or have lasted for 30 years with out the fantasy aspect.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 11:27:28 AM »
I love the fantasy aspect too. But it would have been nice to throw in a real color pony in every once in a while just to make it interesting. Like one that was gray with white hair but maybe her hair changed to pink in the sun to give her that magical aspect.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 12:28:07 PM »
Yes, these are my favorites! There are so few official ponies with these colors, and when I see customs that are painted to look more natural I love them. I always wished they had made toys of Megan's ponies from her farm back home. Or that in the show she had brought her ponies to visit the magical ponies. I just always wanted some kind of interaction (or even acknowledgement from the characters) there.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 12:30:41 PM »
One of my favourite things about ponies has always been their bright colours and the sheer variety of them. The fantasy aspect also appeals because even in my 20s, I still love unicorns and the like. However, it would be nice to see some natural colours and patterns too. I reckon an MLP toy with appaloosa markings would be nice, naturally coloured or otherwise. :D

Offline Shiverdam

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 01:00:06 PM »
It would be pretty cool to have those.

Incidentally, Bonnie Zacherle once mentioned that they originally wanted to have a line of ponies in their natural colors (also it was to be a toyline for both girls and boys). She even showed off some of the prototypes at one of the conventions (there's even a video of it on youtube).

Do you know where the video is?

EDIT: I found it! Natural colored ponies would actually be pretty neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK60SJkRIEM

Signature by starscout
she/her they/them
Will sell soul for Oakly the Moose
Soul has been sold, MOOSE ACQUIRED

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 01:12:15 PM »
I'd love them. The brown spotted one in that video made me squee!  ^.^
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »
I think a natural-looking line might be interesting, but it would have to be done right. Because the ponies are so cartoony looking, I'm not sure natural colors would compliment them very well. I think they would need a 'wow factor'...either a pearlescent finish or something else to give them that special touch.

ETA: I like that interview with Bonnie and I think natural looking ponies could have worked after all. A bit more detail would have to be worked out with spots/dapples/etc though. I also like how the ponies were originally meant for both boys and girls.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 01:20:33 PM by tuneful87 »

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 01:19:47 PM »
If they made a set like this, I think it would be really neat. I love MLP for its colorfullness, but a set of earth toned ponies would be neat to see.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 01:35:49 PM »
I kinda like those wild color combos!
I'm not opposed to the more natural/neutral tones either...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 01:42:51 PM »
I think it would be kinda cool to see a set of more realistically colored ponies, but I admit that part of what draws me in to MLP are the bright color combinations and the fantasy elements.
Instagram / Want List

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 01:49:27 PM »
I dislike naturally colored ponies. I don't care about real ponies/horses and colors like "brown/grey/white/black" are pretty dull to me.
This is why i really don't like how FIM sticks brown on nearly every male pony. As if male ponies need to have "manly" dull colors.

To be honest, i'm glad the original idea of Zacherle never happened. I would never had loved MLP if that had been the case.
I'm all about the fantasy element of MLP. I mean, if they had just been regular horses than i could just as well have collected any other horse toy. Plenty of those to be found.

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 02:40:24 PM »
Bright fantasy colors are what first drew my interest, and what sets MLP apart from other horse toylines. I don't think I'd be very interested in more ordinary looking ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal