collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your opinion on repro accessories?  (Read 1516 times)

LuckyTwirlerina

• Trade Count: (0)
Your opinion on repro accessories?
« on: February 06, 2014, 02:38:13 PM »
Do you like them simply because they complete the pony and look close enough, or do you feel like it's cheating or lying that you have all of a pony's accessories when you really don't? Or somewhere in between?

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
Re: Your opinion on repro accessories?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 03:21:48 PM »
I don't think I understand the question.

The repro ponies are not exact reproductions. The brushes and ribbons and stickers have variations from the originals. I don't think it's cheating at all, as the accessories for those ponies are still pretty easy to find anyway, save original unfaded ribbons, those are more difficult. But still much easier than many ponies. In the end, I still view them as different ponies with different accessories

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 03:29:23 PM »
I take as you meaning swapping out ribbons, etc... and for me, it's just a placeholder. Although I'm not a completionist when it comes to accessories, so sometimes when a pony comes with a replacement ribbon, even when it's not even remotely close to the original, I'll keep it on if it looks good on them!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 03:30:28 PM »
It's only cheating if you tell people they are original. As long as you say 'repro' then I'm totally okay with it. I can't afford some of the original accessories.

LuckyTwirlerina

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 03:33:46 PM »
I don't think I understand the question.

The repro ponies are not exact reproductions. The brushes and ribbons and stickers have variations from the originals. I don't think it's cheating at all, as the accessories for those ponies are still pretty easy to find anyway, save original unfaded ribbons, those are more difficult. But still much easier than many ponies. In the end, I still view them as different ponies with different accessories

I'm talking about replacement ribbons that look similar but aren't original, or if someone made their own replacement bandana for a big brother pony instead of hunting down a real one, for example,  not the 25th anniversary repro G1s. :)

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »
It's only cheating if you tell people they are original. As long as you say 'repro' then I'm totally okay with it. I can't afford some of the original accessories.

Yeah, if you plan on selling the ponies with repros but try to pass them off as originals, or don't mention that they're reproductions, that to me is wrong. If it's for a personal collection, or if you're selling them and fully disclose that they are reproductions, I think they're fantastic! I'm all for reproductions.

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 03:59:56 PM »
Ah!! In that case, I'd say it's fine so long as if, if you resale the pony or items that you're honest and say it is a reproduction. I thought you meant the retro reproduced ponies! XD

I know I have a lot of original ribbons on my ponies, but I also have ones that simply look good, and because to me, G1's look awesome with tail ribbons, if I make sure it's not comparable to the original , it doesn't get confused as one.

Also, I would like to add that I find repro flutter wings of value. Even a reproduction, if done well, can be desirable to collectors

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »
WAY better than no accessories at all!  There's some folks making really neat repro-accessories now:

http://mlppreservationproject.com/accessories.html#Accessories

I run into the dilemma of buying a repro one, or saving for a real one though.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 05:03:30 PM »
Like others have said, as long as they're not passed off as the real deal, I have no problem with repro accessories :).

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 06:52:20 PM »
I agree.  As long as you're not trying to pass them off as the original thing, I have no issues.  :)

There are some pony accessories where it is worth it to me to track down the original item - princess accessories and big brother ones, mainly. And there are others, like ribbons, where I really wouldn't mind a repro.

Besides the fact that there are some awesome repros out there now.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline ajmeier55

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 06:55:28 PM »
I would buy repos if they were available like the big brother hats and sweetheart sister earrings. Would really be nice to have repos of the Adult Sea Pony Shells.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »
In my collection they have to be original - I am pretty fussy about my accessories. :)

However I think some of the repros which are produced are amazing and look adorable on display. And, as others have said, as long as they are never passed off as originals when being sold then there is certainly no harm in them.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 02:31:09 PM »
I love them! ^_^ I'd love some repro accessories, especially with the cool clear variations and such!

For myself, I'd be so afraid of damaging/losing any original G1 accessories, I'd be afraid to put them on display, lacking a current 'official' display shelf. I love the princess hats, wands, etc., but one wrong bump and they'd go down the back of my dresser and be gone forever! So having a repro would give me a sort of peace of mind, in that way; I wouldn't count them necessary as 'collection' pieces, but I would enjoy seeing them on display, playing with them, swapping the accessories around, etc.!

I also love finding almost-perfect MLP ribbon replacements! Such a wider variety of color, and I don't have to worry about fraying them either!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 02:48:01 PM »
Well I know I'd love the original Big Brother hats- (I really wanted the cowboy hat for tex) but they are pretty scarce- so I was happy when someone started making some (in different colors) so that my boy could keep his head warm :D

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 02:58:05 PM »
I really don't mind repo accessories as long as they are good quality. at the moment I have repo princess wands (except 1) that I like better because of their colour and big brother bandannas. but to be fair when it comes to big brother hats I prefer the real thing.

i guess it just depends on the accessory in the end for me. ribbons I only have ten original ones the rest are just bits I have found around the house but as long as it looks good on the pony it does not matter that much to me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal