collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is G4 a thing?  (Read 721 times)

Offline WingedDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Re: Is G4 a thing?
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 11:12:24 AM »
G4 might not be considered a "classic", but many of its items are highly sought after and can be sold for a large sum.
G4 is still going quite strong, dare I say, it is bigger than G1. Many Hasbro collab product is still G4, and since G5 underperforms, the official MLP YouTube changed their banner to G4.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 05:01:38 PM »
G4 might not be considered a "classic", but many of its items are highly sought after and can be sold for a large sum.
G4 is still going quite strong, dare I say, it is bigger than G1. Many Hasbro collab product is still G4, and since G5 underperforms, the official MLP YouTube changed their banner to G4.

If G4 is still as popular in 30 years from now, then we can make that comparison. It's also hard to judge G4 prices against G1, as G4 items haven't had time to appreciate. The ponies are still being dumped en masse into charity stores and second hand sales. But G4 prices seem relatively cheap to me in comparison.

G4 became popular because its timing coincided with a purple patch for social media. It thrived in an online environment that gave it every opportunity to thrive, through content, videos, memes and so on.

I wonder how it would have thrived had the same fandom faced the challenges of the late 1990s...no paypal, ponies shoved in scanners, contact via mailing lists, limited art or coding facilities.

G1 is still in stores, a new set came out (Celestials) and there's quite a lot of merchandising which has been on and off a thing for the last two decades. Again, G4 hasn't had long enough to really compare the two.

As for G5, Hasbro's biggest miss was tying it to G4's world. As much as there's still a thriving G4 fandom, the mass hype in the mainstream for G4 has gone. It's what happens now in the collecting community over the next several years that will determine whether it's just a fad flash in the pan derivative or some cult classic that changed a generation.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Today at 08:48:27 AM »
As much as I think G4 deserves the praise it got, I can agree some of it (and even that it was pretty big "some") was due to timing - I maintain that every generation, deserves the praise G4 got, and feel that G4 only got the advantage due to timing. In terms of cartoons, G4 felt like a combination of the previous generations to me, at least in the early seasons, so I can see any of them being given the (good side of) the "Brony Treatment" if they had been the generation to be released at that time.

For G5... I still maintain that it stands on its own hooves, with or without G4. It just feels like a bonus to me that it connects to (what I still maintain to be) its own take on G4. I get that it's a new idea to tie a generation into a previous generation, but I think they did it fine - they didn't over rely on it, and they did their own thing, but I also feel they honored it beautifully. It wasn't needed, but they're doing good with it so far, IMO.

But yeah, G5 is ultimately it's own generation, even with the connection to G4, IMO.

To be honest, all generations so far have been instant classics in my opinion. I know I can't speak for everybody, but, that's how I feel about them.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Today at 08:56:46 AM »
Yes, if there weren't bronies not a lot would be changed. Maybe the tv show and just merch. And discuss everything on conventions and meets.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal