collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What should I do? Loosing collecting motivation!  (Read 539 times)

Offline Marian

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/meldes/
What should I do? Loosing collecting motivation!
« on: August 16, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
Oh well, I've been thinking about this for months, but it keeps going trough my mind and I can't make a decision. It's been more than two years I think, since I bought my last Hong Kong pony, honestly I don't find any more motivation to collect them, it's like I got almost all of the ponies I wanted and now I feel like I should sell them to get more nirvanas or simply to save money for more important things, like buy a car, take diving lessons which is one of my dreams.
The problem is that I start thinking on the ponies I have and some of them were so hard for me to get!(4 speed with hat and pink stripe, with almost no cancer; Wig wam with all his accesories, etc) but in the other hand I'm sure that there are collectors that would love them more than I do now, since they are keept in a box and I almost never look at them. I simply don't know what to do.
It's like I'm almost decided to sell and when I look at them I start to doubt.
I would love to hear other stories and some advice would be really appreciated
Thanks for reading! :D

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do? Loosing collecting motivation!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:08:37 PM »
Wow girl, I'm in exactly the same boat, personally, I'm not touching the idea of driving and a car til I'm 25 (insurance cost deflates) if you buy a car, you have to get driving lessons, road tax, services, mot, petrol etc and more costs, in the end, I felt it wasn't worth it!

As for your ponies, now is not a good time to sell, I learnt that the hard way when I sold one of my mint MB's. I'd advise holding on until a bit later, for me it'll be a good four or five years before I sell the lot of my collection, including nearly all year 3 seahorses, some even mint with shells!

Good Luck sweetie! :hug:
xxx

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »
I go through periods of time where I don't collect, and honestly, I think that's a good thing!  It gives me time to appreciate the ponies I already have and spend my money on other things.  I'm kind of planning to go on another break here shortly...I'll be attending a collectibles show in September and will still ask for some ponies for my birthday and Christmas, but after that I'm not planning on seeking out any ponies for a while.  I want to start putting my money aside for me and my boyfriend to share some experiences together :)

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 01:28:58 PM »
I too go through periods where I have a break from collecting. Do not sell anything unless you are 100% certain that is what you want to do. Icecrystalline's suggestion that you wait 4/5 years is a good one; if you still feel the same way after that period of time then it might be a good idea to think about selling.

Or, as someone else suggested on another thread, you could sell some of your easy to get hold of ones first to see how you feel about it.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 01:32:25 PM »
Well, I took a break for a few years when I lost my verve. Now I'm trying out the g4s, and getting into custom stuff. I actually did manage to get every g1 I wanted.

But... sometimes you just get what you want and are like: Yes, good.

I think my point was, breaks are nice.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »
I wouldn't sell.. There's a chance you might regret it. I go through this all the time. I collect lots of other things than My Little Pony and sometimes I just get bored and move on to something else. A few months later I come right back to it. Lately it's been my Pokemon collection. It's just sitting there. I have a ton of crap that I love dearly but am uninspired to buy more. I'm actually waiting for new toys to come out here in America because I've found the ones out lately so boring and can't be bothered to get into international stuff anymore. I would never sell though because I know it would break my heart to see it go.

I say, explore other My Little Pony lines right now and just come back to it when you're ready.

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 01:49:23 PM »
This is a topic that comes up a LOT!
There was one member here who went from over a thousand to just about 20 or so and is no less the mlp collector for it!

I think it all boils down to what makes you happy and what you need.

I've been collecting 12 years and as such have been able to find a lot of the ponies  I think a lot of us want to "catch them all" and then later we resize to just our favorite groups.
Also, if you're passionate about something else for a while that's ok! Ponies might even be able to help fuel your new passions. I recently sold a lot of ponies to help pay for some crafting supplies..

On another note, if you do decide to sell those boys and boy hats, my boys are one of the few sets I've decided to keep all of, so I'll gladly take them off yours hands :p
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »
If you don't want to buy more non-Nirvanas, then don't? I've never understood why people freak out when they don't have the desire to collect at the moment. Just enjoy the ponies you do have and put your spending money towards something else if you so desire. Don't make any impulse decisions to sell, especially the ponies you like most or had a hard time finding. Regretting an impulse sale or trade is a horrible feeling.

There are still ponies on my wishlist, but I'm currently at a point where I don't have much desire to buy new ones. I also have very little, if any, extra money I can spend on things like collections. Right now, when I can afford it, I'm focusing on my doll and Filly Princess collections. At the moment those two collections are "worth more" to me than ponies, because 1) I have no room to display more ponies and don't want more sitting in drawers; 2) I'm much more into photographing my dolls than my ponies right now; and 3) Filly Princess is currently making me happier than MLP, as I love them and can use them in photos with/collect them "for" my dolls.

I've recently had to sell some of my ponies, some I really love/d. I basically chose what would fetch enough money to be worth selling, what I could replace later without much trouble, and what I wouldn't mind being without for various reasons. I put up my art ponies because they shouldn't be too hard to get later while I put up my wave one blind bag set because I'm no longer buying any new Hasbro products and have no place to display these ones, for example.

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 01:52:30 PM »
I agree with the posts above. I would say that if you are aren't REALLY sure that you want to sell (like 98.5%), then don't do it because you might regret it later, especially with the harder-to-find ponies. You can always start with the more common ponies if anything.
I've been through periods where I have no interest in my collecting since I am too busy or have too many real life situations going on, but after a while, I would start feeling the bug again and get back into collecting, and it is kind of a stress reliever for me at times. :)

appleponygal

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 01:52:55 PM »
I get what you mean. Since I got really back into playing guitar I've lost interest in collecting I must admit. I mean if I see the odd vintage pony item I'll get it. But yeah I have lost interest. It's not only I can't afford it due to guitar equipment being so expensive but also I just don't have the time now.  I'm thinking about selling quite a few ponies But I'm thinking to sell some of my fashion dolls first, probably ponies last. LOL.

Offline Marian

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/meldes/
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 02:03:15 PM »
Thanks for all the answers! You'll see, I have lots of nirvanas, mostly argies, and they have an emotional value to me, I remember playing with those ponies as kid and seeing them on the toy shops and I simply wanted all of them lol, so no way on selling them!. I think I might sell the HK (still can't make a decision!) since I'm not so attached to them and honestly I don't have the space needed to display them, pehaps I won't be able to get them again but I'l have the chance to get more argies instead. I feel so nostalgic when I see them, specially 4 speed who is my big love, but what's the point on having him inside that box? perhaps the guy deserves someone who appreciates more than I do.  My life has changed so much on the last months! I moved with my boyfriend, my father had to be moved to a retirement house, it's been crazy, and it's like I have my mind in other things, perhaps a little change could be nice.
I'll think about this a bit more, and then make a decision, thanks a lot for your comments and opinions :D

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 02:04:09 PM »
I've been there myself. I've collected MLP's my entire life, but 5 years ago at the end of G3's and beginning of G3.5 I got really bored of what Hasbro had to offer with all the core 7 stuff over and over >.< That along with personal things made me kinda slip away from MLP collecting.
It wasn't even intentional, it just happend. Fortunatly I never sold any of my ponies. Because a few months back I started hearing about Broneys, wondered what on earth that was, started looking it up, realized it was people who liked the new MLP show, I checked the new MLP show out and I fell right back in love again with all my ponies :P

Now I'm back into hunting down as many ponies as I can XD And this is after a 5 year break where the only ponies I ever bought were about a handfull of ones I found appealing in the stores. Nothing more.

There's nothing wrong with taking a break and focus on other interests. If anything it might re-fuel your passion for it. Kinda like falling in love with them all over again :P
Whatever you do though, do not sell your ponies unless you're 100% sure you're done with em'.
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal