collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When your parents want you to move your pony collection…  (Read 417 times)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
When your parents want you to move your pony collection…
« on: August 20, 2022, 03:27:23 AM »
What do you do?

I mean, I’m a grown up. OF COURSE if my parents want me to take it with me to my home I will do it. But I have no idea where to put it! After moving to my own (tiny) house I have been regularly taking with me stuff from my childhood and teenage years. I don’t have much storage space left because of this…. A lot of this stuff has been stored in my parents garage, except for my ponies. The main reason being temperature. I live in a place that gets warm in summer and really cold in winter. I’m worried how it will effect the plastic…

In my house I only have two small store rooms. One is combined with my washing machine, and everything that goes with it. The other I’m currently trying to get things out from since within a year I’m going to do some work on my house and this store room will need to go, and will be a part of a hallway. Hopefully I will have a small attic (really small) to store some things. But we are not there yet…. I don’t want to put them in my garage because of the temperature thing, and my garage is also unlocked.

What would you do? I don’t have a big collection- around 45 ponies and many of them are babies. But I do have my childhood Dream Castle, a lot of backcards and all pony accessories to the ponies I do have (and babies have a lot of accessories :lol: ). I’m very conflicted.

So, where do you store your ponies? Have you moved your collection? Was it because you wanted to or because you needed to?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 03:57:57 AM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: When your parents want you to move your pony collection…
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2022, 06:05:39 AM »
I feel this so much. I moved into a small (720 sq ft) apartment a year ago. Most of my stuff is still in boxes and storage bins, including my ponies. I have three closets but they are filled with household things, towels and sheets, and art and craft supplies (and that's not even all my supplies).

The only thing I can think of is to go up. I want to put shelves on the walls for all my collections. I do have a lot of wall space. I already have shelves that were up in my bedroom when I lived with my parents (and there is still a lot of my stuff at their house too). So I can just use those. When I first moved in I was afarid of making too much noise, but both my neighbors are loud so I don't care now :P I just need to get the motivation to hang the shelves.

There are some other things I collect that are in storage bins that I probably won't be able to display. So what I'm going to do is line up the bins and cover them with some nice fabric and use them as tables for other things.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 08:23:44 AM »
I'm dreading having to do this too, when I manage to get back out on my own. My parents are pretty tolerant, and understand why I wouldn't want it in rented accommodation, but...yeah. It's a headache I'm trying to put off. Good luck!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2022, 09:04:43 AM »
i didn't collect ponies while i was living with my parents. my parents did give me a bunch of my old toys when they moved recently. what my mom decided to keep from my childhood isn't necessarily stuff i care much about. i don't really know what to do with it.

i've moved my collection 4 times since 2016. each time i used plastic bins. smaller ones work well since the ponies aren't as stacked. especially for baby ponies. for playsets i always just took them apart and reassembled once i was moved in. but for most of the moves i didn't have many playsets. just the petite pony ones. which are pretty easy to take apart. the most recent move was just down the street so i just left them assembled and gently put them in larger containers with padding.

if you're planning to move again soon i would not recommend Billy shelves. i love them but they're a pain to move, they can shift and kind of come apart in transit. the cardboard back is especially difficult.

wall shelves are a good option IMO. since they're smaller and easier to carry when you're moving. if you can put them up and don't need to worry about making holes in the wall.

good luck with the pony move :)
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 10:10:58 AM »
Thanks everyone :heart: I’ve packed down most of my stuff now. I haven’t lived with my collection in over 10 years, so that is a silver lining at least ;)

I don’t really have wall space either (lots of windows!), so I will have to downsize a little (but I have mostly childhoods so it’s not much!) and then clean out some other stuff I have in my storage space. I will make it work, and I’m thankful I don’t have a large collection. I’m always a little sad when selling cute ponies, so hopefully I will be able to keep most of them!

It helps to know I am not the only one in a situation like this!

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2022, 10:47:42 AM »
I always kept it with me, even when I moved for university multiple times.  Ponies have filled shelves in many rooms, ponies have stared down terrified roommates, ponies have stayed in boxes or bins.  It's my stuff and not my mom's responsibility to keep it.  I don't have her stuff in my house either.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 12:38:39 PM »
I always kept it with me, even when I moved for university multiple times.  Ponies have filled shelves in many rooms, ponies have stared down terrified roommates, ponies have stayed in boxes or bins.  It's my stuff and not my mom's responsibility to keep it.  I don't have her stuff in my house either.

You’re lucky to have the opportunity to bring it with you everywhere :) I laughed at the “terrified roommate”- comment.

Actually, I do have stuff from my parents stored in my house or rather my garage - I have my dad’s cars :biggrin: and tools. I don’t mind. I park my car on the outside. But like I mentioned in my original post - of course I’ll take my collection with me. After all, I am lucky and grateful to have parents who kept things for me when I didn’t have room for it myself. It made it possible for me to keep heirlooms from my grandparents and of course, stuff from childhood that is important to me and that I would have to let go of otherwise. That was important for them too (I guess we are a sentimental family!)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 02:54:15 PM »
Well I'm very sorry to say this Katrine, but I'm afraid you have no choice but to get to work on building your ponies that pink castle, complete with meadow, drawbridge, and moat. Impractical in this economy I know.

Seriously though, ya may as well go get em.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 02:58:36 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 03:27:28 PM »
Well I'm very sorry to say this Katrine, but I'm afraid you have no choice but to get to work on building your ponies that pink castle, complete with meadow, drawbridge, and moat. Impractical in this economy I know.

:lmao:

Offline Squirtsquirt

• Trade Count: (+235)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 06:32:40 PM »
My ponies are stored in small totes, and thankfully I have them with me now.  The downside of moving, well....I had all my ponies with me once I was married and we had our own house.  Since the divorce, however, some of my pony things are still there.  So far my ex has been OK with my stuff staying there, since it's very out of the way.  I am still trying to make more room at my current house to bring things here, in case he gets a bug up his butt and decides to just fully clean house. 

That is a tough on of what to do with your precious things when you have to move, so you just try to do the best you can.  I keep the most precious with me, then just try to get everything else as I can.
Thanks to Whippetluv for my awsome persona pony!!

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2022, 12:42:26 AM »
I always kept my ponies with me. For years at a time, that's meant the majority of the collection being packed up. (as well as the other collections like manga, anime figurines etc, hubby's Warhammer...) I had two plastic totes at my parents', with a big playset and with some random pony stuff, which Ive now brought with me in my last move. We finally have space for stuff here. :) but storing everything was a pain. Storage spaces never are quite big enough are they ;__;

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 05:28:25 AM »

:lmao: Okay, that one got a chuckle out of me!!

In more serious terms though, I definitely thought you were implying you had closer to 4500 ponies, haha! not the 45! Since you’re low on storage space, could you put them in a plastic bin, throw a nice tablecloth over it, add a lamp and voila! Brand new side table? Just a suggestion! I hope you can find a nice spot for them!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2022, 05:45:34 AM »

Haha, this made me laugh out loud :lol: That would have been awesome though! Maybe if I Get some deep shelves that would actually work ;)

But yes, they are already packed up. It’s not a question on getting them, because of course I will. It’s more a question on how to store ponies when you have minimal space;)

Post Merge: August 21, 2022, 05:48:33 AM

My ponies are stored in small totes, and thankfully I have them with me now.  The downside of moving, well....I had all my ponies with me once I was married and we had our own house.  Since the divorce, however, some of my pony things are still there.  So far my ex has been OK with my stuff staying there, since it's very out of the way.  I am still trying to make more room at my current house to bring things here, in case he gets a bug up his butt and decides to just fully clean house. 

That is a tough on of what to do with your precious things when you have to move, so you just try to do the best you can.  I keep the most precious with me, then just try to get everything else as I can.

Aw, yes- I can relate to this *hugs* It’s not always easy to make room, I hope your ex gives you the time you need to sort through things :heart:

Post Merge: August 21, 2022, 05:53:11 AM

:lmao: Okay, that one got a chuckle out of me!!

In more serious terms though, I definitely thought you were implying you had closer to 4500 ponies, haha! not the 45! Since you’re low on storage space, could you put them in a plastic bin, throw a nice tablecloth over it, add a lamp and voila! Brand new side table? Just a suggestion! I hope you can find a nice spot for them!

Haha, I know! It just says a lot about my tiny living space I guess (and I’m sentimental - so ponies are not the only thing I’ve kept from childhood)  :lookround: I’m not used to store ponies in plastic, and I am a little bit worried about their condition and how to best preserve them during storage. I’ve also decided to sell some of them to be able to store them in the same area. I am attached to them, but to some more than others and well, sometimes hard decisions is necessary :cry:

I love the sidetable idea though! It could work- not necessarily a plastic bin- but there are storage units hidden in furniture. That’s a really good idea ^.^
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 05:58:41 AM by katrine2309 »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 09:00:53 AM »
Maybe you can grab those table cabinets for your ponies? Or find some dvd cabinets with shelves instead of a rack?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2022, 12:10:38 AM »

I think we all need one of those!

The nice thing about baby ponies is they fit nicely on little shelves. Since you have a small number of ponies overall, one small bookcase would probably work for displaying. As far as the back cards and accessories I would suggest under-bed storage if you have space. Otherwise a box in your closet if you can. I have a small 3 shelf bookcase in our office (sits under the window) with about 50 G1 ponies and a Megan doll spread across two of the shelves. I also have clear plastic risers in them to create levels so that the adult ponies fit under the front of the risers with babies on top.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal