collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What's Your Opinion on Hybrid Dolls?  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
What's Your Opinion on Hybrid Dolls?
« on: April 22, 2015, 09:44:41 PM »
So the internet has sorta scared me into thinking the world of dolls can be sort of vicious towards this kind of thing...so since everyone here is super friendly, I want to know, what's your opinion on hybrid dolls? What kind do you have? If any?

I ask because I'm working with a very strange combo for particular reasons. Not even sure if this combo has ever even been done to begin with. Bear with me here, and don't be too harsh on me :lol: I'm working with putting a volks DDH-07 head on a Taeyang body. The main reason is keeping the outfit the body currently has. I know I wouldn't be happy up-sizing the body and then making the outfit. Whether I did it myself or had it commissioned, I just know I wouldn't be. Plus, it'd add too much extra cost.

I don't think it looks too bad or anything(the over-sized head takes some getting used to, but there were just none in scale that looked good to me.) but I'm debating whether or not to even post him on my DA or anything because I'm worried about it ending up on one of those "WTF doll" kind of blogs. So I just sort of wanted to see some (hopefully) positive opinions or examples to set my mind at ease a bit.  :)

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
Re: What's Your Opinion on Hybrid Dolls?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:53:09 PM »
personally i love hybrid dolls.
all the ones i have are mostly regular retail doll heads, replanted on various bodies, (litdh barbie, mh, eah, azone, obitsu etc)

i think it's a lot of fun to see how the combinations turn out.
now i find myself buying random dolls just to see how they look on another body.
but i haven't quite gotten into the bjd world. not a big fan of resin, or well, the cost.
but i can't wait to see yours. this is one of those safe places you can post pics (so long as there no nipples.... i got in trouble for that once) hope you'll share with us.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 10:06:21 PM »
That's nice to hear! I do keep wanting to get more into fancier dolls myself, but I just haven't found any dolls I'm in love with enough to drop the money. And the money is typically where a lot of meaner people seem to have a problem with hybrids. I just see a lot of "Ugh, putting that nice head on a cheap doll body" like the value of the parts is all that matters. :(

I think I will eventually post him here then. I'm just waiting on the wig I ordered now. Then I have to get it dyed(because the world of wigs hates dark blue for some reason :lol:) and styled.

Offline klein

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Dolls & Ponies oh my!
    • View Profile
    • Pullipsandjunk
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 11:12:44 PM »
Be extremely careful with the wig if you are dying it and putting it on a dollfie dream head, the vinyl stains really easily!

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 11:17:56 PM »
Be extremely careful with the wig if you are dying it and putting it on a dollfie dream head, the vinyl stains really easily!

Thanks for the tip! I've heard that as well. I plan on rinsing the wig 5 million times after dying to make sure no dye is running and then seeing what other precautions I can take. Seems like it'll happen with dark colored hair no matter what I do though from what I'm hearing. @_@ I don't mind if it stains somewhere I can't see it(it's not like this head can ever be sold with how heavily I've modded it already anyway), but I'm worried it'll show somewhere on his face or something else really obvious.

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 02:30:50 AM »
He will be really cool to see!

Don't put him on DOA though. They are very strict out off topic dolls. The worst that will happen is they'll delete your post.

Offline Ackryllis

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 04:51:43 AM »
I'd love to see him. Looking at the pics, a combination like that would be wicked. :D

I don't really understand people like that. It's your choice what you do with a doll that you bought with your own money. It's not their problem. Maybe someday they will learn to turn the other cheek or even embrace fun looking doll mods/mixes. Like the fakie haters of old.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 11:07:35 AM »
I like hybrids :) I have a couple of BJD hybrids myself. Sometimes for the character you just need a different head/ body set up than you can buy together. I'd recommend you get a wig cap for your DD head, though. Even if you rinse the wig a million times it's still likely to stain DD resin. That stuff absorbs dark dye like a sponge! Even with a silicone wig cap my DD-07 girl has a stained head. It's covered by the wig so I'm not too upset, but still.   
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 02:14:33 PM »
He will be really cool to see!

Don't put him on DOA though. They are very strict out off topic dolls. The worst that will happen is they'll delete your post.

No worries there, I'm not even a member since I don't actually have a BJD(Yet. Haven't found one that calls to me enough yet.)

I'd love to see him. Looking at the pics, a combination like that would be wicked. :D

I don't really understand people like that. It's your choice what you do with a doll that you bought with your own money. It's not their problem. Maybe someday they will learn to turn the other cheek or even embrace fun looking doll mods/mixes. Like the fakie haters of old.

I guess I've settled on posting him later then. His wig will hopefully get here before Sunday, so I can post him then. I think it'll look too weird if I post him bald. :lol:

I personally don't get it either. What joy comes from hating on someone else's fun and creativity, right? I know some people get bitter about it when they see someone customize something hard to get or just something they want in general and they get jealous about it. Like...even if the customizer hadn't bought the item, it still wouldn't be theirs anyway! No point in being mad about it. That's always how I've looked at it when it comes to collecting, at least.

I like hybrids :) I have a couple of BJD hybrids myself. Sometimes for the character you just need a different head/ body set up than you can buy together. I'd recommend you get a wig cap for your DD head, though. Even if you rinse the wig a million times it's still likely to stain DD resin. That stuff absorbs dark dye like a sponge! Even with a silicone wig cap my DD-07 girl has a stained head. It's covered by the wig so I'm not too upset, but still.

Exactly! That's how I felt about this doll's original head. It just wasn't what I pictured for this character, so I wanted to change it. And yeah, I'm sort of learning to be okay with potential staining because it seems like it'll happen eventually no matter what I do to prevent it. D: I've been looking into what works best...but it just seems like it happens. Such a shame too. As long as I can't see it, I'd learn to be okay with it, I think. I'm mostly just worried about obvious face stains from his bangs.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:21:10 PM by Noxxbunny »

Offline Flaileigh

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 10:53:59 PM »
Post him! I have a few hybrid dolls and I really don't get the hub-bub some people get over it. It's silly stuff that's not even worth acknowledging. -- And if your doll did get posted on one of those WTF blogs, so what? It isn't the worst thing in the world. In a weird way I'd find it a badge of honour that MORE people would see my doll that would otherwise be ignored. XD

Offline Noxxbunny

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 11:41:26 PM »
Post him! I have a few hybrid dolls and I really don't get the hub-bub some people get over it. It's silly stuff that's not even worth acknowledging. -- And if your doll did get posted on one of those WTF blogs, so what? It isn't the worst thing in the world. In a weird way I'd find it a badge of honour that MORE people would see my doll that would otherwise be ignored. XD

I guess I'm worried about the blog part mainly because this head is also my first face up(Nothing fancy. I wanted a pretty natural look for him. So it's simple. If a smidge uneven.) I honestly really like how he came out, so I wouldn't want people bringing me down from my (rare) satisfaction with my own work by going "THAT face up AND that combo! Lol!! What a noob!" like those blogs tend to do. I think if he came with a faceup already...then I wouldn't care much. :lol: They could bash my weird combo all they want, but I admit to being a bit sensitive about my customization/art in general. Constructive criticism is always welcomed...but not just making fun of it for the sake of being mean.

I like him a lot already and I want to keep riding that wave of positive feelings. Which everyone has been bringing here so far like I thought they would! I think I'm actually getting rather excited to post him.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:43:53 PM by Noxxbunny »

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 06:06:56 AM »
I don't have any BJDs (one reason is the cost, but if I really wanted one I could just put money aside. it's more that I really don't like how fragile vinyl is, and I like my dolls to sit around at random places in my house which I wouldn't be able to do with BJDs as the rooms are both very sunny and also very dust-prone), but I do have two Moxie Girlz who were rebodied on Liv bodies for enhanced articulation and to be little sisters of Moxie Teenz. the sudden height differences and changed proportions were at first strange but getting used to it was much quicker than I thought (it really went like this: I went to sleep thinking they are a little strange because the image of them right after the change was still in my head, and the next morning I woke up they were perfectly fine and adorable they way they were in their new selves, nothing strange anymore), and now I adore them. more to come soon, when I come across more dolls of the characters I'd like to have.

I also can't understand why people would bash hybrid dolls, especially why and how they'd be even considered a kind of taboo topic. I mean, what is the problem with experimenting? why can't they just get over the hybrid thing and try to look at the doll from the beauty perspective (I mean the mixup was most likely done because the owner found the doll more appealing that way. it's not necessarily just hybridisation, it's an enhancement)? also, it's up to the owner what they do with anything they paid for. yes, sometimes the topic is a little sensitive (like when the dolls in question are no longer produced and are considered rare), but that doesn't change that one should be free to do anything that pleases them with the stuff they paid for.
(as a Furby collector I have seen and heard of Furbies getting wracked, destroyed, burned and that, and it breaks my heart. but still it's not my business what others do with their toys and I don't have a word there. and hybridisation itn's even like this. it's not destroying, and it can most of the time be redone if wanted).

I'd be happy to see how your hybrid doll turns out, so I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Squirrelypaws

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 03:32:31 PM »
I admittedly have no clue about the BJD world; more a Barbie or Monster High type of girl, LOL... But honestly, I see no problem at all with hybrids. I have a few Barbies with Liv bodies, and sure, the heads might look a bit small for the body... But all that matters to me is that I like them that way. 

Honestly, I don't think anyone should be giving you grief over the way you want YOUR doll to look. If you're happy with the way that head looks on that body, and you like the face-up you did, that's all that matters.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:16:25 PM by GryffindorHermione »
**Formerly known as GryffindorHermione**
~*{Squirrely's Stuff For Sale}*~
Ponies ;; Dolls ;; Other Toys

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 04:19:36 PM »
It's your money your time. So it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks. I love seeing people happy with there dolls. And if it takes the body of one doll and the head of another more power to them.

Have fun with it that's all that matters.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 04:24:21 PM »
In general, I don't really like hybrids, since most of them have that head/body size mismatch (especially Catwalk Kitty/Monster High hybrids, the CWK heads are just too wide for MH bodies imo). I totally understand wanting more articulation, I just have trouble getting past the odd looks, aheh. (Hybrids made from anime or other Asian dolls don't bother me much, though, since they tend to have similar proportions anyway.. plus some of them have those weird bendy/wire-arms and I can totally understand re-bodying those kind of dolls, haha. If that makes sense)

That said, I really don't see the problem in people creating hybrids. :) They're not my cup of tea as a rule, but if it makes you happy, go for it, I say. :B It's *your* doll, no one else should really have a say in what happens to it, imo.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal