collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How I feel about the term

I don't find it innaproprate at all. I use the term.
I find it unsettling to name a flaw in a toy after something that is medically serious. I don't use the term.
I don't personally like it, but I use it because other collectors understand the term.

Author Topic: "Cancer Marks"  (Read 1003 times)

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
Re: "Cancer Marks"
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2014, 07:34:32 AM »
As to where the term came from, it's just one of those terms that caught on for whatever reason.  I think someone described the spots as being like a cancer, someone else thought that was a fitting description, and on it when from there.  I've never thought it was intended to be equated with the disease.  Another definition of cancer is "something that spreads destructively" and I've always assumed that is why the term caught on for brown spots on ponies.

It's probably been around longer, but I think it really became popular about 6 years ago or so, when more became known about it.  The community seemed to move pretty quickly from fearing that it can spread pony to pony to believing that probably won't.  I think I'm getting on a tangent though and the topic isn't really about what the spots are exactly.  :)

Oops, sorry, I think you were asking about causes of it.  I think most of us have seen these, but just in case, they are very interesting:

http://www.mylittleponynews.com/2010/10/pony-science-pony-cancer-under.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-UEFOq08AU

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 07:39:29 AM by FarDreamer »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »
I think I'm getting on a tangent though and the topic isn't really about what the spots are exactly.  :)
No, this is perfect! I just didn't want it becoming an argument for or against the term in the comments.

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2014, 11:16:19 AM »
I've only been on this forum a relatively short while compared to some. I don't remember thinking anything particular about the term "cancer" used in connection to ponies, reading the descriptions of what it is etc, it made sense.
I think I may have heard of the term "cancer" being used for such things as rust in boats or cars, and for other inanimate things, so perhaps that's why it didn't bother me.
As someone said earlier, I just have two different definitions of it in my head, one to do with ponies or other inanimate things, the other for people. Obviously my reaction would vary greatly depending on what or who was being discussed/referred to at the time!
If I knew it particularly bothered someone I would definitely not use it, not that I think it would come up in my conversation much anyway!  :-)

Jules x

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
It doesn't bother me. I rarely ever 'need' to use *any* term to refer to those marks on a pony, but if I did I would likely call them cancer and/or age marks. I'd refrain from calling it that to someone specifically if they didn't like it though, if that makes sense.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 06:21:12 AM »
It doesn't bother me, but I also would be perfectly fine with calling them "age spots."  Which is more accurate, really.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Nightbow

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • A figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2014, 07:02:47 AM »
I have used the term "cancer" and it didn't cross my mind that it might be seen as offensive, thus I find myself unable to vote in this poll.
Because "cancer" is the term that has been tossed around the forums, I never realised "age spots" (seen in off-site auctions) was supposed to mean the same thing. I guess to me the first choice feels more accurate, since it is, um, irreversible (which isn't true about cancer any more!) and sounds more severe or "beyond repair".
I would use another term if there was one more befitting. The term "age spots" may sound more natural, but I don't think it conveys that the plastic is breaking down. And "plastic breakdown spot" doesn't really roll of the tongue.
I guess I'm going to start referring to it as "age spots". I'm certain I'll get used to it and I like helping to break bad habits, even though the "cancer" term doesn't offend me personally.
I'm looking to buy Port-o-Bella. Please email me.

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2014, 10:48:46 AM »
There wasn't an option for how I actually "feel" about the word, so I just went with the first option.  The word itself doesn't bother me, but I typically don't use it at all when talking about mysterious marks on ponies.  Why?  I've found that even in such a specific community, people still seem to call different things "cancer" and call "cancer" different things.  When I describe marks on my ponies, I'll actually say something like "brownish grey bruise-looking spot on the knee of her raised leg" or something like that.  I'd rather specifically describe what is on the pony so that others can be fully aware of what condition it's in than try to sum it up with just one word.

The OP also asked if there were any other takes on what causes pony cancer, and I don't know if it's been brought up (I only read about half of the first page), but someone here did an experiment a while back where they shaved off tiny pieces of a discoloration spot and looked at it under a microscope and found that it was some sort of bacteria or something?  Does anyone else remember this?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:52:06 AM by Katika »

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2014, 12:02:55 PM »
Yep! I remember!
Those little spots do have something going on, bacteria (or similar spots in other toys were found to have fungus). The plasticizers in the toy can act as the food source so it's really problematic if you have the correct environment for this stuff to feed and grow.

The giant brown patches (I see referred by the same name "pony cancer" often) might be something else (would have to have a problem pony tested). Lead oxide was used in a lot of various plastics and soft vinyl items, and even with the lead ban in 78 a lot of 80's toys do contain lead (not just painted features). Anyway, in these items exposure to non-acid free paper does cause a reaction with lead oxide leading to browning to plastics with enough exposure. It could be why I have seen this in various "here's an untouched for a decade box of ponies I found" that had these patches only in spots against the sides of the box itself, or where a pamphlet or paper scrap was resting against them.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:05:26 PM by FantasticFirefly »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal