collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: TLC attempting to prey on Pony Community  (Read 12124 times)

Offline NichiTsukinoko

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lady-moondancer.livejournal.com/
TLC attempting to prey on Pony Community
« on: June 21, 2012, 08:08:02 AM »
It has come to my attention that TLC has been going to all message boards and online pony communities trying to advertise that they are "casting a show for TLC about people with unique collections or obsessions". They want anyone who is interested to contact them and provides an e-mail to do so. I don't know if she has hit this board yet, but I strongly suggest that if she does that people not agree.

The show is most likely My Crazy Obsession and the links on the TLC page for this show include things like "Freaky Eaters" and "Strange Sex" etc.

This is not a show that is interested in respecting our community or it's members. It is about exploiting people and their hobbies and making them out to be freaks.

I'm not one of the mods, but this is something that I think concerns us all.  I would really rather not see someone from our community among the links on the show's site. It hurts everyone in our community if that happens.

I wasn't sure where else to post this, so that's why it is here in the Pony Coral.  Please move it if it needs to be moved.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:24:37 AM by kittybethy »
Music is a revelation; a revelation loftier than all wisdom and all philosophy. ~Ludwig Von Beethoven
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Reiya! Thanks to SDS!
Etsy Store: NichiTsukinoko Customs : www.etsy.com/shop/NichiTsukinoko  10% off with coupon code MOVING till Nov 9, 2015

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: TLC attempting to pray on Pony Community
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:10:26 AM »
Wow!! This is concerning!!!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 08:27:15 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Nichi! This does not sound like something any of us should be involved in.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline NichiTsukinoko

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lady-moondancer.livejournal.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 08:34:24 AM »
Thank you for making this a stickied topic, Kittybethy.

You are welcome, Kaoskat.

I do think it's concerning too.  Not only for the image of our community at large, but also because we have a diverse population that includes people under the age of 18 and could easily be exploited by someone from either a legitimate tv show, or someone pretending to be from a tv show, but is really just a predator.

Music is a revelation; a revelation loftier than all wisdom and all philosophy. ~Ludwig Von Beethoven

Thank you Reiya! Thanks to SDS!
Etsy Store: NichiTsukinoko Customs : www.etsy.com/shop/NichiTsukinoko  10% off with coupon code MOVING till Nov 9, 2015

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 08:35:53 AM »
When I saw the title of this thread I thought it said "tender loving care praying for the pony community", whoops, read that wrong.

I have watched shows like these before and found them very interesting.  I like to know about interesting people and their different hobbies or stories about themselves.  Encountering things that go against the norm is the spice of life.

I wouldn't mind if someone from the pony community was brave enough to tell their story the show. I would watch it and cheer them on.

There are always going to be hypocritical people out there that judge you for having an unusual hobby, or how you spend your money, or look at people like they are "freaks" to make themselves feel better. I think any sort of small amount of fame brings out these sad types of people. I am sure that anyone here is adult enough to recognize the downsides of being on TV.

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
Re: TLC attempting to prey on Pony Community
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 08:40:42 AM »
Ugh, thanks for letting  us know. TLC needs to keep their mitts off of our community. I don't trust them at all.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline Cinnabar

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 08:43:50 AM »
I have seen episodes of this show before and seldomly is any collector portrayed well.
I am sure it is edited for maximum shock value as well. Not something I would personally ever want to participate in.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 08:47:59 AM »
Casting pony collectors among people who drink their urine is a bit...concerning to me

Offline Faerie-StarV

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 09:00:23 AM »
They did ask on mlpforums.com about it but they directed them to here. Luckily, the Bronies are not interested since they don't collect the toys and more into FIM show which is a good thing.
Has the TLC people made a post here on the Arena like they did on mlpforums?

[link removed ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:26:03 AM by hathorcat »

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »
Ergh, that is good to know. ><;

I'm all for more attention to the pony community, but shows like that will definitely put it in a negative light and that is not what we need. If we participate, they'll probably take what we say and twist it into making it seem like we're all insane. :/
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »
:blink:
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 09:10:53 AM »
I have seen episodes of this show before and seldomly is any collector portrayed well.
I am sure it is edited for maximum shock value as well. Not something I would personally ever want to participate in.

^THIS  I have yet to seen one of these 'obsession' shows that didn't portray the people on the show as anything less than freaks.  :(  They aren't interested in what we do or why we collect, they're interested in shock value for ratings.  Please, anyone thinking of contacting them, think twice.  I'd hate to see any of my pony friends exploited.  Just be careful, guys! ♥
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 09:13:54 AM »
I seriously dislike TLC, this is one of the reasons. None of their TV is legitimate anymore (was it ever?). It's all shock-value and controversy. I remember being part of a large petition when TLC ran a show about people who keep pet monkeys. Toddlers & Tiaras also bothers me quite a lot. Sister Wives, a way for the rest of the world to mock the lifestyle one family. The list goes on. This station is irresponsible at best and completely unethical at worst.

"My Crazy Obsession pulls back the curtains to reveal some of the nation's most extreme and unique obsessions. The series takes viewers behind-the-scenes of homes that are dedicated entirely to the owners' infatuation with various objects, people, or lifestyles."

I'm not a fan of the word "infatuation" when it comes to my collecting. I'm also not a fan of the title of the series. "Crazy Obsession". Is it crazy? Doesn't seem so to me, considering so many people out there are collectors. Is it an obsession? Maybe for some people, I guess, but it isn't an obsession to me. I don't go into withdrawals just because I didn't buy a pony last week. I don't really think pony collecting can be listed under "the nation's most extreme and unique obsessions".

I'd have to see the show to give an official judgment on it, but the preliminary looks grim. Thanks for the heads-up!

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 09:17:26 AM »
Annnd this is why i hate TLC.

This, and toddlers and tiaras.
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
Geez media these days. I'll keep away then, since I don't want to be mocked for my tastes. :huh:
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal