collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Molded Hair G4's - Funko Pop Figures  (Read 31920 times)

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
Re: Molded Hair G4's - Funko Pop Figures
« Reply #225 on: October 14, 2012, 12:35:01 PM »
Want....but living in the UK, very unlikely to get :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 14, 2012, 12:52:30 PM »
Hmmm....do you know if there have been complaints about the finish of $5 toys, I can imagine a similar complaint issue with these the pictures show some issues with finish...maybe not what I would expect considering the target market.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

ladybrooklyn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #227 on: October 14, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »
Well... I'm glad I didn't actually put my order thru on Hot Topic's website. I was verrrry tempted (tho every time I went to do it, "Bubbles" went out of stock...). But I managed to hold off until I could get myself to one of my local Hot Topics... and they had them! :D

I uploaded some different angles of each one... so have a look! :D

More photos here: http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/ladybrooklyn99/FUNKO%20ponies/

Size Comparison... ^.^

However... as completely AWESOME as they are... And as much as I'm DYING for them to release many, many more characters (C'mon! finish off the Mane 6! Do Rarity! Do Fluttershy!), I have to say that in some ways... I'm ever so slightly disappointed with them...

I honestly prefer the shape and contours on the Fashion Style Ponies' heads. To me... they just flow better, and have a cuter look to them...

But... the overall design and slimness of these new vinyl gals... is definitely more reminiscent of the show aesthetic. I just can't help feeling, that their heads are a touch on the "oversized" side...

Then, the cheeks... I really am not a huge fan of the added cheeks. Especially when every straight on shot in the TV show has their faces evenly rounded. (http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/sup3rtroop3r01/Rainbow%2520Dash/Screenshot2011-02-19at83835AM.png)

Next... for all their detail... a more "active" pose would bring so much more "life" to them. I know, given the nature of the molded hair, and how it's glued on... turning heads are basically impossible, but boy would it be nice... :lol:  Maybe that's something they can work on in the future. ^.^

And then there's "Bubbles'" tail! OMG... it's as wide has her head! Really!? :lol:

Also, it seems as if the people on the production line didn't push, or mount Rainbow's nor "Bubbles" tails all the way in their rumps. There just seems to be an excess of "tailbone" left sticking out. Maybe I'm wrong... but it just seems to me as if they should fit in more... *shrug*

Lastly... poor "Bubbles" Cutie mark... they "stretched" it down her flank... so all of her bubbles are elongated. AFAIK, this is not just a factory error on a single pony; all of the "in hand" photos I've seen have it this way...

But for all that... they ARE awesome! I love their size! I love the feeling of holding them in my hands.... and I LOVE the hair styles!

From what I can tell... Forelocks and manes are cast in different pieces.... so I can see them easily using Rainbow's forelock, with Bubbles' mane. Add to that a different tail, and you have a new pony. ^.^ So many possibilities!

Another added perk... these gals are cast completely out of the same plastic. Though it MIGHT occur, I really don't see them having the same head/body mismatches that the brushables are prone to (since the brushables have heads and bodies that are made of different plastics)...

But... hands down... my FAVORITE part about these two... their WINGS!!!! :lovey:

I love the G4 brushable Pegasi for their adorable wings! So much nicer than we've seen for past generations. These two... take it a step up! The wings are absolutely accurate to the animation design, and that makes me unbelievably happy! :lol:

Overall... I absolutely see these guys as Hasbro's answer to the clamoring of the community for more accurate collectibles, geared towards an older audience. They are packaged in trendy designs... and not slathered with pink!

The brushables are awesome! And without them... we never would have gotten these ponies! They are, and always will be Hasbro's bread 'n butter. But now... we can have "show accurate" representations of our favorite characters.... at least... we can hope they continue this line and give us MORE!

Though honestly... given the INSANITY of how quickly :muffin: Pony has sold out online... I can only IMAGINE that Hot Topic is just RAKING in the $$$ here! We can only hope that after this week, they went to Hasbro and said.... "We want MORE! We MUST tap into this marker further!"

I can't wait till we see DJ Pon-3! (someone mentioned she was in the works)... I'm DYING for a white Unicorn body, so I can customize her into Gusty! :lol: Though I suppose the "glasses" could be problematic...

I don't really fancy myself a "Brony"... though I understand why they prefer the more "show accurate" aspect. Personally, I prefer molded hair ponies simply for the sculptural aspect of it. I love having representations of my favorite characters that LOOK like they do in the TV show/movie. The more accurate... the better!

But... at the same time... the brushables bring back a nostalgia that these Vinyl critters never will. After all, nothing really beats combing a brushable pony's mane when you're bored or to just zen. ^.^

BTW... They may have named her "Bubbles" online... but she rang up as ":muffin: Pony" on my receipt. ;)

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 14, 2012, 01:01:28 PM »
Also, these girls are HEAVY!

Hot Topic, if you're listening, I want a Big Macintosh, and I wants him NOW!

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #229 on: October 14, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »
Thanks for the closer pictures, Octocorn and Laydbrooklyn! They look awesome overall!

I wonder if these were produced in a hurry...? Usually, Funko's products are a little more refined. Ditzy looks alright, but the coloring on Dash's mane and tail looks a little haphazard. BUT... her cutie mark is facing a show-accurate direction! :)

Like Ladybrooklyn said, I also prefer the face shapes of the FS ponies. They're actually much more show accurate in that regard. The rest of the proportions are great, and the faces from the side also look pretty good, but that front-view is a little funny looking! The stretched cutie mark on Ditzy is something I noticed, too...

Still can't wait to get mine in the mail. I'm excited to be able to begin a Ditzy Doo collection! ;)

Pinecone

« Reply #230 on: October 14, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »
Do you have a picture of the box Bubbles came in?

Edit--SOMEONE can't read the previous page.  :lol:

BerryPunch

« Reply #231 on: October 14, 2012, 01:52:03 PM »
 :biggrin: I love how her name is still whatever someone wants to call her- "This adorable vinyl collectible features the likeness of the character known as D.er.py Hooves by the fans of My Little Pony - also known as Bubbles, Ditzy Doo, etc."

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2012, 03:15:05 PM »
well I'm hoping these appear at either TRU or MrToys since they usually have Funko as well as the regular toy line (in the case of Marvel at least)... or maybe that's why the comic book store I've been stalking for the FIM release suddenly has a Hasbro section... oh please let it be these!
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 14, 2012, 03:20:59 PM »
These are pricey but I'll end up getting them anyways.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 14, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »
OCD going.. into.. overdrive... must paint over blue and red in forelock...

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2012, 04:36:27 PM »
The reason she has so much blue in her mane is that the base mane pieces are blue plastic.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

DirePony

« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2012, 04:45:41 PM »
It is really cool to see some out of box pics with comparison to Hasbro's ponies. It looks like they would fit in well with the Fashion ponies so I may have to pick up some of those as my Rainbow Dash and :muffin: Pony I ordered from Hot Topic will hopefully be here this week.
I do have a question though. Do the eyes look like they are painted or stamped on like the Hasbro ponies? I don't have a computer just my iPhone so I can't get a real close look at them.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2012, 05:14:32 PM »
Thanks for the size comparison~ They are cuter than I initially thought! (Although they still look like they have saggy cheeks. In my opinion!)
I hope they sell well so they consider other characters. I would LOVE an Applejack.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2012, 05:24:01 PM »
*scratches head* I can't even make out 'Bubble's' cutie mark in those photos... are they the same shade as her body or what? Are they that hard to see in real life?
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 14, 2012, 06:29:29 PM »
*scratches head* I can't even make out 'Bubble's' cutie mark in those photos... are they the same shade as her body or what? Are they that hard to see in real life?

It's pretty hard to see, and its stretched out to the point where it doesn't really look like bubbles.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:42:14 PM by octocorn »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal