collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

what do you think i should do

sell/trade it to me
don't be silly, keep it and think it over
wait and see how things go
trade it for G1's
make space and keep going

Author Topic: oh help me please, pony crisis  (Read 5332 times)

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
oh help me please, pony crisis
« on: October 16, 2013, 11:34:37 AM »
i feel so bad in saying all this after being so faithful to G4's since the start but i went out today to buy EG Celestia with the pony and thought i would check to see if there was anything else new for the ponies and nope yet again.  -_-  New Zealand has been so limited with what we got this year compered to the likes of what has come out in target and tru overseas and it has been expensive and exhausting trying to keep up with everything. putting the main six aside the only new brushable pony we got this year was sunset shimmer. :huh:
so anyways i had EG Celestia in my hands, she was so gorgeous and love the pony she comes with and love her hair colour combo but i had just lost the excitement.
i am so sorry if this is a tired subject, i see lots of g4 collector dropping of like fly's selling their whole collection and then i see so many newbees coming to the party :)

know i see what a lot of g3 collectors had to face some years ago. it is so hard to keep up especially when everything isn't handy to you.

i am so on the fence line as of what to do. stop collecting, sell of collection, keep what i have and stop, only keep what is pretty to me and looks great mib or moc, trade it all for g1 stuff or stop being silly and think it over and wait  :P :lol:

i have had thoughts like this before but this time its been stronger.
 still love the cartoon though  ^.^

here is what i am debating over

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

i also have a bunch of mib stuff, int' exclusive etc in the cabinet.

as you can see i just have no room for anything else either.

what would you do?  :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:40:52 AM by shabbychicdee »

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

chihua2

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: oh help me please, pony crisis
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 11:50:37 AM »
oh, you have such a lovely collection and i love how you have displayed them all...i think you should wait and think it over a bit more :)

modified: oh and i just saw all your options above.

can i choose more than 2? (sell them to me! :P)

Pony_Mama

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 11:51:05 AM »
WOW! What an absolutely beautiful collection! One of the best g4 displays I've seen! Clearly, you love it.

We all have moments in our collecting when we feel...off  :(  I know I've felt that way before. It can get overwhelming, or boring, or frustrating when you can't find things. Sometimes you just need to take a little break. Find something else for a while and step away from the collection. Don't get rid of it yet. Give yourself some time to think it over. If you get rid of it and change your mind later, it will be near impossible to recreate your former collection. If you have another hobby, now's the time to dive into it for a change of pace. Don't give up on your ponies! (but keep me in mind if you do, LOL  ;))

chihua2

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 11:57:07 AM »
WOW! What an absolutely beautiful collection! One of the best g4 displays I've seen! Clearly, you love it.

We all have moments in our collecting when we feel...off  :(  I know I've felt that way before. It can get overwhelming, or boring, or frustrating when you can't find things. Sometimes you just need to take a little break. Find something else for a while and step away from the collection. Don't get rid of it yet. Give yourself some time to think it over. If you get rid of it and change your mind later, it will be near impossible to recreate your former collection. If you have another hobby, now's the time to dive into it for a change of pace. Don't give up on your ponies! (but keep me in mind if you do, LOL  ;))

^ totally agree with pony_mama...i think she nailed it :)

Stitch

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:07:34 PM »

What she said. :) Try doing something else for a bit, maybe try expressing yourself artistically  :art:

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 12:12:14 PM »
Just keep them like that , they look awesome, I have not felt that way yet about  mine, but I know the feeling , I was diving into G3  and then I did not feel it , I was not that excited of getting new G3's , Then I took a plunge into G2's and I like them and feel super happy with any new one I get , But I kinda feel a bit exhausted with the G4's   so many Funko's and so many releases in the past 2 months, and ton's of merch , I think I need a brake though.
totally opposite of you  LOL
brushables besides  Sunset Shimmer   ,we had Wysteria and Pinkie pie new hair combo ,Mrs Cake and Baby Twirls , we will have Minty and more fillies soon
the new ones from TRU as well ,although there were only 3 really new ones there :)

GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:43:56 PM »
What about just keeping the ones you like, enjoying them, and not worrying about the ones you can't get?

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 01:05:15 PM »
oh i love you guys :) i love everyone's comments :)  :grouphug:
i know its silly getting so confused over little plastic ponies but its my interest, hobby, stress relief, nostalgia and my social network .

i love the wait, leave it for a while, come back and if i do sell i will keep all the favorite ones :D 
i have been happily into zelfs at mo so that's a great idea taking interest in something else

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 01:49:52 PM »
Oh, you have such a nice collection, and an absolutely GORGEOUS display! It would be such a shame to downsize and then regret it. I know what it's like to become frustrated and stressed out by exclusivity, and to have that bleed over into the "why bother?" feeling about the rest of your collection. Perhaps you could just wait for a while and see if the feeling passes.

Or you could try little tests. Maybe choose one pony that you consider truly unnecessary and pass her on to a new home, then wait for a week or two and see if you miss her or regret the decision. Maybe swap out one old pony for every one new toy you pick up? (Zelfs are adorable and I have a feeling they will be a new addiction for many collectors! :biggrin: ) You could continue in small batches and swaps until you feel like all the toys you have are your favourites and it's comforting and enjoyable to look at them again.

brittney_rochelle

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 02:11:26 PM »
I've gotten a little bored too and having to come up with sudden funds for college really sealed the deal for me. I'm selling my collection out of need, but I still love the line. I feel sad with the G4 line sometimes. I love the looks and the "HasbrOCs" as some new fans like to call them, but too much is coming out too quick and doesn't have the variety that I am looking for.

When I get more funds I think I will just buy the ones I fall in love with and start back my G1 collection. I personally vote "wait." Hang on to them a bit more. See where you are in a few weeks.

Pony_Mama

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »
i know its silly getting so confused over little plastic ponies but its my interest, hobby, stress relief, nostalgia and my social network .

i love the wait, leave it for a while, come back and if i do sell i will keep all the favorite ones :D 
i have been happily into zelfs at mo so that's a great idea taking interest in something else

I do think it's the best thing for you to do  :)
I'm a Monster High collector first and foremost, and I've been feeling burnt out. Big time. That's why I'm spending my time here right now. No stress. Something new and exciting. I'm having fun and enjoying doing something different. I'm still collecting so those needs are met and I'm happy  :biggrin:

And I don't think it's silly at all to have real feelings about this! We're all here because we love those little plastic ponies!
We've got your back when times get rough!  :hug:

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 02:24:23 PM »
I agree, give it some time and thought and see how you feel in a bit. :) I had the same feeling (over the same doll, no less--strange!), but I gave it some thought and am just as happy now as I was before. Hopefully you'll be the same way!

(That said, I see several things I'd sell/trade for on those shelves ;D )

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 04:04:05 PM »
Something I try to do is only buy ponies at thirft stores or at the Fair, or get them in swaps. That way there's a more fun element of surprise thrown in to collecting. I see myself adding to my collection for a long time because not getting all the ponies I want at once helps the joy last :)

High Flutter

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 04:30:53 PM »

Someone else already said something similar about maybe taking up another outlet such as art.
The best thing about G4 is that there are SO MANY outlets.  Much more than any other generation.

Even though I don't collect any G4, I love the fan music side to G4 - some music is actually good, made by real musos trying to make a living in music, not just casual (and usually crappy) hobby stuff.

So don't get rid of them yet - remember that there is MUCH MORE to G4 than collecting.  Dare I say that collecting is only a small face of the whole "G4 thing".

I love G1 and G4, but only collect G1.

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 06:53:30 PM »
Oh wow, your display is beautiful! It looks so organised :D

I totally understand what you mean, though. I have considered throwing in the towel several times over frustration with the amount of US-exclusives and all, as importing so much is expensive and really takes the fun out of it for me =/ I love going to the shop and finding they have new pony stock, but that has happened....twice in the last year, I think? With Sunset Shimmer, and those bizarre half boxes of Wave 8 blind bags. Oh we got Pinkie Pie's Boutique but it is disgustingly over-priced here so that took all the excitement out of that :( I was hoping we might see Mrs. Cake by now but it seems not. Don't get me started on the Funkos ahaha. At least we get those here but so few shops actually stock them that I don't think anyone has ever found a chase variant...

The Celestia EgG doll is gorgeous. Celestia is one of my favourite characters and I love her colour scheme . I've been debating getting her even though I'm really not a fan of dolls, haha. Maybe you could look at other gens of ponies? I've been debating branching out into G1 recently myself. *hugs* I hope your collecting exhaustion goes away. I think maybe taking a break for a lil while might help, then you're not constantly being disappointed by the same old things in the pony aisle and hopefully they'll have new stock when you do feel like getting back into it :)
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal