collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why Dolls?  (Read 2453 times)

Offline RavenWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Why Dolls?
« on: August 26, 2013, 10:06:53 PM »
Is anyone else upset over the Equestria girls direction that Hasbro is taking? Well I guess its a neat idea, sort of. I just don't like the direction its taking MLPs! There are a zillion and one toy dolls out there, more then enough to choose from for children(adults) who like dolls. But MLP is the only pony toy line. (except for Breyer horses, but come on their generally so expensive that their not as accessible to the average kid) I guess I just don't understand. :( MLPs are already looking less and less like ponies as it is, why take a toy line that has always been for those who love horses/ponies and turn them into just another doll toy?  :huh:
 :cloud:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why Dolls?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 10:18:32 PM »
I think Hasbro believes that if they can take an extremely popular line and turn it into dolls, they will be able to compete with other doll lines and make even more money.
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 10:26:56 PM »
I think Hasbro believes that if they can take an extremely popular line and turn it into dolls, they will be able to compete with other doll lines and make even more money.

This can be the only answer - Hasbro wants money.  As much as they can get.  Any money they make is money that presumably Mattel (the LEADER in doll sales by far!) is NOT making.  Therefore, as Mattel has the market share, Hasbro will do anything to make some doll money - including making a slightly cheaper, slightly less expensive doll for all the parents who won't spend $25 on a MH doll but are fine with spending $12 on an EQ Girl.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Flanuora

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 10:33:53 PM »
I was kind of upset about them making the ponies cross over to people at first. I was worried how my son, a 6 year old major FiM pony fan, would take to it. He took it really well (better than me). It's like no big deal at all to him.  He is not really interested in playing with the dolls like he is with the ponies (even though we have them all). He is as excited to watch the movie as much as the show though.

I have heard more "buzz" so to speak in the toy isles about MLP in general after Equestria Girls. I hear a lot of 'oh those are the ones that can change from ponies to people.' (I haunt the toy isles a few times a week counting all my stops.) Just being devils advocate here maybe more kids will relate now (broader audience) and they will sell more dolls and ponies?

I bought all the Equestria Girl dolls with the intention of keeping them NIB. However, one was shipped in a damaged box (Sunset/Twilight) so we opened it yesterday. My son instead on watching the movie and only putting on the crown and wings when the story allowed! LOL Anyway, I was happy with the play quality for the intended age group. He could work all the accessories and make them stand on his own.

Just my thoughts... I understand why people have such mixed feelings about it. I didn't like the dolls much until I opened them and played with them a bit. Who knows, I might open more... :P

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 11:39:43 PM »
hummm i dont really like the direction of the movie, i don't like the idea though i might buy one doll either fluttershy or rarity to keep but i am not a fan. i might have been if it was done in the 80s, the same with transformer too, it would have looked totally awesome but not in this day and age, everything looks tarty, i have seen some young girls looking like there brats dolls and its so gross. keep kids as kids, that's what i love and miss about the 80s was that it was Innocent but really cool but now its so cheap, tacky and tarty.
i really like g4's and the toon but i was disappointed they did this

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 12:33:22 AM »
keep kids as kids, that's what i love and miss about the 80s was that it was Innocent but really cool but now its so cheap, tacky and tarty.

Totally agree. 

I know some doll lines have a huge fan base and I respect that, but I feel very similarly about most modern day dolls the same way I do about most cartoons on tv nowadays. Just badly made, yuck, violent, or too smart a*se. Sorry, just my opinion.

I personally shake my head at those equestria dolls. There's another thread doing the rounds at the mo, about what people anticipate the G5 line will be. I was tempted to respond something along the lines of what makes people think they will even be ponies!  :lol:

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 01:14:38 AM »
I feel again like I'm the only one that likes the dolls. I mean, jeez, didn't think they were THAT bad, I even liked the movie! No it's not perfect, but nothing is, It's just a silly story and a small sideline to the toys. They're not replacing the ponies at all. There will always be ponies, even after EQG.

Besides, G1s are still out there. Go on ebay, go buy some. I dunno. Honestly, I don't care about other doll lines, I don't like human dolls, Monster high is borderline, but more monster to me than human so they're cool, and nothing else out there interests me, I'm not a doll personl but EQG dolls are just perfect for me. If you don't like them, just ignore them, I don't think they'll be around forever. But who knows.

And if you somehow pick one up and hate it, contact me, I'll buy it off you? :P
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 02:12:35 AM »
Hasbro did not have anything to compete with Mattels runaway success line of MH. Why not take what was their runaway popular girls line and angle it to try and grab some of that same market? Unfortunately its as simple as that.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline WildBlue

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Possibly maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 03:10:43 AM »
I do not know why dolls for sure, but my best guess is competing with Mattel.
Personally, I just found out there are/going to be "deluxe" Equestria girls that are jointed like Monster High and Ever After High dolls.
I was not in the least bit interested in Equestria Girls until I saw that!!

pineapple

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 04:13:47 AM »
Deluxe ones are already out for select characters (Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy), they add joints at the knees and elbows and that's it. Not even close to Monster High in terms of design or quality.

Pepinoreno

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 04:45:53 AM »
Is anyone else upset over the Equestria girls direction that Hasbro is taking? Well I guess its a neat idea, sort of. I just don't like the direction its taking MLPs! There are a zillion and one toy dolls out there, more then enough to choose from for children(adults) who like dolls. But MLP is the only pony toy line. (except for Breyer horses, but come on their generally so expensive that their not as accessible to the average kid) I guess I just don't understand. :( MLPs are already looking less and less like ponies as it is, why take a toy line that has always been for those who love horses/ponies and turn them into just another doll toy?  :huh:
 :cloud:

I couldn't have said it better. Maybe I'm just too old, but I really don't get it!  :what:

Offline Jemofirongate

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 05:25:04 AM »
Hasbro did not have anything to compete with Mattels runaway success line of MH. Why not take what was their runaway popular girls line and angle it to try and grab some of that same market? Unfortunately its as simple as that.

THIS. Hasbro must have thought they had a good shot at competing in the doll market with EQG or they wouldn't have been able to sell the business case to their execs to go ahead with it.
If it turns out that sales can't hold or they can't grab acceptable market share from MH or the Bratzillaz then it wouldn't surprose me if this line disappears at some point. Time will tell. I think the ponies will continue regardless of what happens to EQG but we might see a dip in pony merchandise/toy releases if EQG really takes off.

I toyed (lol) with the idea of getting the dolls but I'm mostly decided against it. I think I'll wait to see one in the flesh and see if I'm persuaded to get a set, even if only for collecting posterity.

Jem :-)
Most Wanted! Megans Place Accessories, Please PM me if you want to sell :-)

girlyponce

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 05:38:32 AM »
As everyone has mentioned - it's all about the money. I only have a select few MH dolls, but I love the detail that goes into them and their accessories. I definitely don't see that with EqG.

I kinda, sorta want a Rainbow Dash for my RD army, but it's not a pony so... I may end up getting the deluxe one and the hair styling one and switching the heads.  :lookround: I don't really like the rat tail.

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 05:50:27 AM »
I was always wondering what comes next?

Turning Transformers into Ponies instead of cars?

Ponybots - transform ... sorry couldn't resist.

I don't like the idea turning ponies into dolls at all.

If they want to create dolls - they should get a great idea and make it but this is not my cup of tea.
I think they have no good idea that's why they use the pony characters for the dolls.
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Flanuora

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 06:52:41 AM »
I feel again like I'm the only one that likes the dolls. I mean, jeez, didn't think they were THAT bad, I even liked the movie! No it's not perfect, but nothing is, It's just a silly story and a small sideline to the toys. They're not replacing the ponies at all. There will always be ponies, even after EQG.

Besides, G1s are still out there. Go on ebay, go buy some. I dunno. Honestly, I don't care about other doll lines, I don't like human dolls, Monster high is borderline, but more monster to me than human so they're cool, and nothing else out there interests me, I'm not a doll personl but EQG dolls are just perfect for me. If you don't like them, just ignore them, I don't think they'll be around forever. But who knows.

And if you somehow pick one up and hate it, contact me, I'll buy it off you? :P

You are not alone! The more I look at them and touch them the more I love them.  I like the quality for the target market. They should *not* be jointed like MH because then they would not stand up so beautifully. They look like they will hold up to a 5 year old play unlike MH. They are clothed even with cloths off and did I mention they stand on their own!?!?

Don't get me wrong I adore the ponies as ponies and I love MH.  I am over run with both but I'm not drinking the hateorade for Equestria Girls ;-) they are cool.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal