collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I'm off to university this September, organisation is a nightmare!  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
Haha, genuinely, worked out all the finance side of things yesterday, and I'll have £3.96 to live on per day. That means food, drink, toiletries, everything, since my mum cannot afford to support me, and I have to live in halls! Getting organised is actually quite scary, I mean, I've been so excited to leave college for 2 years, and now I'm worried!

Eeek, anyone got any advice on making the transition smoother? Any items you'd forget to take until you're there sort of thing? Or just general input?

Thank you  :)

Offline Rosey-Posey

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
    • blog
Re: I'm off to university this September, organisation is a nightmare!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 06:39:50 AM »
Hey, I don't know how much of a help I can be, because i'm in my second year myself, but i'll try.

Well, it's going to be really hard living off of only that everyday. Try to make some good friends during the first few weeks, so that you have some places to go to. I'm a bit confused by how you wrote it, but you're living in the halls? as in you don;t have a room? if so, try to ask your friends if you can use their microwave, unless your college has a kitchen type room with those available.

I would also suggest looking online for cheap food solutions so that you can find some weekly meals to make. try not to buy fast food etc, cause it's way more expensive...bring what you need with you, but also bring some things you enjoy with you as well, like your 3ds, and maybe a pony. it's comforting to have something like that near you, because times might get rough...

Always let your profs know whats happening, if youre going through a rough time and think you can't finish something on time, let them know and ask for an extension, most profs are willing to help.

Let me know if you have any questions.. hope this helps  :)
follow me on instagram! bathbunny :bunny:

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 07:30:54 AM »
I just graduated so I'll impart some of my, er, wisdom.

If you like pasta and rice then I have good news for you! It's cheap as heck to live on this, with vegetables, and if you really miss meat then frozen minced beef/pork is very cheap and lasts forever. Tesco Value pasta sauce is gross, though, so avoid that, and see if you have Aldi or Lidl nearby as they're much cheaper than the regular supermarkets. When you buy bread, freeze it in packs of 2 or 4 slices and defrost as necessary. Pasta/curry/sweet and sour, etc, sauces are freezable. Basically, your freezer is going to be your best friend. See if you have any cheap take away places nearby - when I was at uni there was a pizza place where you could get a large pizza for £6. If you can, try to arrange to cook and food shop with a friend and split the costs. When I lived at uni (not in halls), food shops cost me between £5-£10 a week. Depending on your course, you might have enough free time to get a part time job that might help a bit, and depending on your financial situation (if your mum can't afford to support you does that mean you got a good loan/grant?), your university may have some bursaries available. Also, go to Tesco/etc, at 6-8pm on weekdays and 3:30 on Sundays. This is when they reduce food by 70-90%. You can grab some bargains and freeze them until needed. The first shop is going to be expensive. Make sure you get a decent tin opener (Wilkinsons have really good quality kitchen utensils that are very cheap!). Does the uni have a FB page? Ask if any leaving students are selling off their kitchen stuff.

Regarding communal areas, make sure you report anyone problematic and don't put up with people being messy and lazy. Don't put up. At. All. There is no excuse for people leaving food rubbish and dirty pans out for more then 24 hours (does it show that I lived in a house where no one else cleaned? :lol: ), and look early for private residences to move into. Don't take the first property you look at, and try to find somewhere that has the bills included in the rent. Google the landlord/lady, too. If they have a hundred houses in that area they might be very slow to fix problems, and try to talk to the current tenants themselves without the landlord present. Find out if the boilers have had any problems (because spending the winter with a broken boiler is the worst). Electric showers are amazing. Try to move in with people that are clean (and ask potential landlord/ladies how they deal with disagreements regarding the cleanliness and upkeep of the house).

Lastly, enjoy your course and have fun :D Which uni are you going to? Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other questions (and anyone else, though I dunno if I'll be at all helpful to anyone not in England) ^^
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 07:42:30 AM »
Toothbrush. Don't forget your toothbrush.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 08:24:58 AM »
I would try and get a part time job, like perhaps within the university. Maybe the Student's Union. There are University funds you can access if you are hard up as a student. I would just get there, make friends and figure the rest out later. Report to the Student's Union if you are having difficulties. I envy you! Have a great time.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Dawn

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 01:19:47 PM »
Like Artemisia said, getting a part time job is the best way to go if you can find time for it. Quite a lot of companies offer low paid part time positions on student job portals and if you're lucky and find something in your field this is a good way to add some work experience to your CV and earn some money on the side. You might even get a foot in the door with the company and be able to work there after graduating, or they'll at least give you good references. As for stuff to take with you, I'd just take some clothes, a laptop and anything comforting, I wouldn't worry about books as you'll definitely have enough to read when you get there!  Other than that just try to make friends, talk to anyone who's willing to tell you their story, have fun, work hard and don't be afraid to ask for help from anyone who can give it :)

Offline Ariana

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 05:56:12 AM »
Part time jobs at school can really help you out! I would even ask if they have work-study programs. I tutor a class that I did well in and get paid $10 an hour even if no one shows up  :blink: So I get like $40 a week for sitting there and helping people: plenty for grocery money and some fun money left over too!  ^.^
Follow my SFW pony tumblr: http://yodawgiheardyoulikeponies.tumblr.com/
Trade/sale list and wishlist:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,371182.0.html
My MLP Youtube Channel:

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 01:52:42 AM »
. I'm a bit confused by how you wrote it, but you're living in the halls?
I think she means dorms
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Rosey-Posey

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 02:30:05 AM »
I think she means dorms
Well that's a relief! I was really worried . :P
follow me on instagram! bathbunny :bunny:

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 03:17:43 AM »
I think she means dorms
Well that's a relief! I was really worried . :P

In the UK, halls mean 'halls of residence' , a building with individual rooms on campus you pay for a 41 week contract and get to live there, however my mum is now exploring the possibility of me living at home and travelling to and from uni each day, so I'm a little happier about that idea!
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! :)

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 09:27:53 AM »
Uni halls are often very expensive, and really, really crap (I went straight into a private rent because I didn't get into my first choice, but even £350 per month + £50 bills was CHEAPER than the halls at my first choice had been). Living at home in your first year might be good, but look into privately renting with classmates in second and third years. It can be very, VERY cheap - in my third year I was paying £75 a week including all my bills and internet. It was a pretty nice house, I had a huge room, and the area was nice.

Your student loan and grant should comfortably cover this, though :)
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal