collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 Head and Body Mismatch  (Read 361 times)

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
G4 Head and Body Mismatch
« on: April 03, 2022, 09:11:53 PM »
     Hello! I'm sure most people who collect G4 know about the severe head and body-color mismatch present in some ponies. I don't have the majority of my collection with me right now, but I do have my forelock Twilight which came with the hot air balloon. Ever since I got her NIB when she first came out all those years ago, she's always had AWFUL head and body mismatch. Other ponies, especially in the similar purple-ish color as Twilight, seem to have this bad color discrepancy too (an example I can think of off the top of my head is Feathermay).
     I've always found this phenomenon weird as to my knowledge (at least in my own experience) these ponies CAME with different colors. Most other generations will always have ponies who are more prone to mismatch than others, but they have never come with the differences? It's always developed over time whether it be from exposure to sunlight, improper packing, the materials in the plastic breaking down, or just age. The point is, for other generations it took TIME for their colors to be different as opposed to g4 ponies who would just come looking different...
     I know obviously, the answer would be different types of plastics used for the head and body, which makes sense as they feel like different materials but like...why? I don't see the point in using two different materials for the body and head. If they used the different material for the head for something maybe like rooting issues, why not use it for the body? And Vice Versa. If anyone has a theory for why this is the case, let me know. I think this is especially jarring as later releases of these ponies didn't have the massive color difference (at least if I remember correctly. I have two different versions of "Princess Twilight", one with the standard pegasus body and unicorn head and the other with the Luna/Cadence body, and neither have a mismatch and if they do ((which I don't recall either having)) it's not NEARLY as bad as my forelock Twilight).
      It does make buying ponies secondhand a little frustrating as ponies like Feathermay have such beautiful designs, but the mismatch is SO distracting. I'd take matters into my own hands and fix it myself if they weren't so sought after. After a while I get used to it, however, whenever I get back into my MLP G4 phase (like right now), it always surprises me with how bad it can get. qwq
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: G4 Head and Body Mismatch
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 06:35:00 AM »
Yeah, I asked about Feathermay a few years ago and was told that she was sold with the head/body mismatch :( I dunno what's up with it, it's a real shame, especially considering it hits unique characters like her the hardest. I expect to see these problems down the line esp. with older toys like G1s, but head/body mismatch fresh out of the package is just awful...

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 10:32:16 AM »
It is indeed because different types of plastic were used for the head versus the body.  Hasbro tried to color-match them but it's imperfect, especially for the first wave of G4s. 

I don't know the exact reason why . . . maybe easier or cheaper to manufacture the body like that?  Their process was definitely different compared to G1s and G3s, as you can see "seam lines" on the bodies of G4s around the chest area.  Whereas the G4 heads do seem like traditional vinyl heads.  You can feel the difference, their bodies are more rubbery compared to the heads.

I think this changed on the post-movie G4 ponies, to me they feel like both head + body are made of the same material, and also they don't seem to have any mismatch.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 10:38:44 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline WaterDraw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 03:05:29 PM »
Yeah, I asked about Feathermay a few years ago and was told that she was sold with the head/body mismatch :( I dunno what's up with it, it's a real shame, especially considering it hits unique characters like her the hardest. I expect to see these problems down the line esp. with older toys like G1s, but head/body mismatch fresh out of the package is just awful...

It does seem to hit the more original designs more which stinks because G4 doesn't have a ton of unique designs, especially compared to other gens (which is, unfortunately, a side effect of having such a strong main cast of characters). I honestly think it is the worst on Feathermay which is really sad because she's probably my second or third fav original design this gen.

It is indeed because different types of plastic were used for the head versus the body.  Hasbro tried to color-match them but it's imperfect, especially for the first wave of G4s. 

I don't know the exact reason why . . . maybe easier or cheaper to manufacture the body like that?  Their process was definitely different compared to G1s and G3s, as you can see "seam lines" on the bodies of G4s around the chest area.  Whereas the G4 heads do seem like traditional vinyl heads.  You can feel the difference, their bodies are more rubbery compared to the heads.

I think this changed on the post-movie G4 ponies, to me they feel like both head + body are made of the same material, and also they don't seem to have any mismatch.

I do agree with the massive change between G4 and other gen's production styles. I would've rather had rock hard pony bodies than a rubbery body that's a whole entirely different shade of purple than the head  :cry: It's just such an odd decision, especially since it's not like the discoloration happened a couple of years after they were released, it was immediate! My only guess is that maybe somehow it was cheaper??

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal