collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Undeclared re-pinks on Ebay...  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Undeclared re-pinks on Ebay...
« on: September 22, 2015, 09:13:31 AM »
I've just been browsing Ebay and came across several ponies listed by pony sellers that have re-pinked hair but the sellers have not declared it... I had a look and recent sales also include undeclared re-pinks! I wonder how long this has been going on for?  :huh:

I find it hard to believe professional pony sellers can't tell the difference between a re-pink and original pink... but newer collectors may be fooled... I feel annoyed and wish there was a way I could warn buyers! I would be devastated to discover a pony I'd believed to be original pink turned out to be a re-pink.  :(

[moving to Trader Support ~ Kiwi]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 12:05:18 PM by Kiwi »
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline The Little White Horse

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Undeclared re-pinks on Ebay...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 10:30:55 AM »
How can you recognise a repink? I've always wondered. :/

But that behaviour is dishonest especially if the sellers know.

I personally believe I could be fooled.  :(

Offline Whippycorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 11:33:38 AM »
The original colour is quite like Dollyhair's 'pussycat' nylon which some people use when re-hairing ponies with 'fading pink' hair. On partially faded ponies that I have seen, the colour goes a little peachy.

Check out Wind Whistler MOC versus faded here: http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/wind_whistler.htm

Generally, it is really difficult to match the original shade using dyes etc... so re-pinks often end up a more matt, powdery pink in comparison. But it is often hard to tell if you don't have the 'eye' for it... which is why people really should mark on their ponies that they have been re-pinked!  -_-

If in any doubt, ask, and check the inside on arrival! I have had buyers check this with me. I didn't mind them asking but thought 'of course I would have said if the pony was re-pinked' but clearly there are some sellers who do not state clearly! So buyers have to be understandably cautious!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:35:47 AM by Whippycorn »
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 11:53:12 AM »
Are there any pictures with re-pinked vs original?
I really wouldn't know either unless I could be shown visual examples
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 12:05:22 PM »
The seller may just not be aware that they were repinked?? I know I'd never be able to tell the difference.

Offline Whippycorn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 12:16:12 PM »
Perhaps the sellers don't know... but considering they have multiples of the same pony with really different pink hair...  :wonder:

I found this old thread, http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,291016.0.html ... some of the re-pinks are much more obvious than others.

Post Merge: September 22, 2015, 12:19:38 PM

Actually, some are disturbingly close! Some may see that as a good thing... but I wouldn't want a pony that had been coloured with highlighter or paint or KoolAid! :yikes:

Well...maybe I am more of a pony purist than I realised!  :blush:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 12:25:15 PM by Whippycorn »
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 01:00:20 PM »
I would not know the difference. And I don't repink. The only way I would be able to tell is if I had an original and a repinked right next to each other right in front of my eyes.

Some of those dye jobs are pretty good. That's why I hate that some people do that.

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 01:17:09 PM »
I would probably think it was the lighting of the pics before thinking the hair had been repinked; I don't think many collectors would be able to tell at a glance, really. :)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Babydoll

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ★ Instagram Babydoll84uk (Pics of my collection) ★
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 01:54:38 PM »
Yes I noticed this too particularly from a UK seller who has been selling undeclared repinks on eBay. I find the pink looks more like a purple/pink hue colour and on one of her auctions you can actually see the pink dye stained around the ponies neck. :huh:
I would never repink my ponies and dont agree with sellers who mislead buyers this way.

Eta: Wow The repinked wind whistler in that post was hard to spot!

Babydoll~
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:34:02 AM by Babydoll »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »
I hate to admit it but I would never have thought a pony I was buying had  "re-pinked" hair - and looking at the old thread linked above, I am afraid I would not know the difference even if a pony was re-pinked... :blink:

Offline Whippycorn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 02:38:12 PM »
Sometimes the lighting is definitely a problem in photos and as in the thread above, some re-pinks are a lot harder to spot than others. But it's much easier to spot a re-pink in person and people who sell ponies 'professionally' should make it their business to try to learn how to do it and disclose to their buyers if they are in any doubt about the originality of the pony IMHO.

I've had to go and check all my fading pink ponies again to reassure myself that they are legit!  :lol:
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 01:11:59 AM »
I hate to admit it but I would never have thought a pony I was buying had  "re-pinked" hair - and looking at the old thread linked above, I am afraid I would not know the difference even if a pony was re-pinked... :blink:

Me neither!! @_@ And I've even done a little repinking myself! I mean, seeing them all lined up together it becomes a little easier, but picking them out of a photo without a reference... I couldn't do it. @_@;;;
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 06:27:48 PM »
I am ardently against repinks, and it annoys me how much people don't declare them as such.

I honestly don't care how good of a dye job you think you've done on that pony, there is still the risk of possible and permanent staining to the pony's body.  The whole repinking thing has not gone on that long, so we don't really know how this is going to pan out in 5-10 years.  It just takes one pony, either stored or displayed with some others, to stain a whole bunch because someone didn't think it was important.  I think sometimes ponies should be marked, not with ink, obviously, but something done, either around the rim of the neck seal, or the bottom of the hoof. . .  Dunno, but it needs to be done so collectors can avoid 'good appearing' repinks because of stuff like this. 

Offline Mainsail

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 06:50:02 PM »
I've never even attempted to re-pink any of my ponies' hair. Also I don't think I've ever gotten a pony who has been re-pinked, from my knowledge, anyway.

I don't know, I personally don't mind if the pink has faded, and I'd prefer to have a pony with faded hair than re-pinked hair.

My MLP Tumblr

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 07:16:42 PM »
Repinking's been around a lot longer than five to ten years.  I've got ponies in my collection 20+ years post-pinking with RIT which I did myself, no idea why anyone would use something that's not intended as an actual dye for the job though - koolaid, really? Yikes.

Each to their own though, I don't see it as much different (or any different) than a rehair, it's a restoration technique.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal