collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Starshine Identification Help (3 Variations).  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
Re: Starshine Identification Help (3 Variations).
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 06:16:14 PM »
Here's another possibility-

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The Rainbow ponies (and the original Earth ponies) were reissued a while back.  Mine are still in the box, so I'm not sure about all the differences besides brighter colors, but I recall some of the members opening them when they were released and commenting on how much harder the plastic was.  Maybe someone with open ones would be able to say more.

Those don't look like the rereleases to me. Those really do look quite a bit different from the originals. It can be hard to see the differences in pics though when you can't compare them side by side. However, there is a way to rule out the rereleases for sure. Check the hooves. The rereleases say "2007" on their feet. Since the OP said they all say "1983", these aren't the rereleases.
Yup that is a dead giveaway.

Some of it could be due to environmental conditions.  Depending upon where and how a pony was stored can totally affect how fast it's plasticizers might have leached out.  Also like Cat said it depend on the factory, as well as batches of plastic used.  From my years in the sign industry and art, I know some colors are harder to produce and keep the color consistent as well as color fastness.  So that again is going to affect how the same pony can look different from year to year of it's production run.

Be glad they are not china, with that you have loss of detail and crazing to worry about along with color.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 08:30:43 PM »
Those don't look like the rereleases to me. Those really do look quite a bit different from the originals. It can be hard to see the differences in pics though when you can't compare them side by side. However, there is a way to rule out the rereleases for sure. Check the hooves. The rereleases say "2007" on their feet. Since the OP said they all say "1983", these aren't the rereleases.

Good to know that the date stamp is different and thanks for the info!  I haven't found any of these second hand yet, but that'll sure be a help in the coming 'sale-ing' season.  I do know about the difficulty in mixing materials, and strange things do happen. Although none of my ponies have ever gotten harder from ageing, (just super sticky and occasionally the reground materials show)--  my unopened Sweetberry pony Cherry Treats has been leeching/ forming/developing brown goo inside the bubble on her card and on her body for several years now.   >_<   

Being that she's an original, then that really is one killer of a white Starshine and grats on finding her! 

As for being glad they're not from China for quality-sake...  very true, but at the moment I think  I'm more glad they're not from North Korea.   ;) 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 09:07:50 PM »
Those aren't rerelases--way too much hair!  ;) 

Regarding hair colors, some Rainbow ponies did have two versions, one with the first color in their mane being a medium rose, others with it being more a dark pink.   I've seen it with Parasol and Starshine, can't remember which others have that variation.   

It might be related to the fact that some Year 2 Rainbow ponies were rereleased in Year 3?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 02:14:36 PM »
Good point LadyM. All the first set of Rainbow ponies were released in 2 different versions but "versions" is very loose because both versions were available everywhere the set was released, were all store issue and were available in the first year of release. This is probably just down to different batches orders over the course of the year - i.e. a second/later run on the set.

1) "hot pink" [heart-throb] streak with painted symbol covered in glitter - came on the UK/Euro portrait orientated cards
2) "hot pink" [heart-throb] streak with painted symbol covered in glitter - came on the US landscape orientated cards
3) "dark pink" [mummy apple delight] streak with glitter only symbol - came on the UK/Euro landscape orientated cards
4) "dark pink" [mummy apple delight] streak with glitter only symbol - came on the US landscape orientated cards

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal