collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Have you ever unboxed a MIB G1 pony.... :O  (Read 22217 times)

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever unboxed a MIB G1 pony.... :O
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 12:04:26 PM »
I don't think I could debox a G1. Sounds cheesy, but I appreciate the.. hmmm 'historical value' of them? (Perhaps not the best wording choice). I see them as a little snippet of my childhood preserved in all it's original glory :P . That said, I would probably only get a MOC/MIB if I already have or was planning on getting the same pony loose. I'm a bit of an oddity that way.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »
Well I ll hold my hand up and admit that I have de-boxed in the past....at the end of the day a pony belongs to the person who purchased her so its your individual call but I can completely see the side of people who are against de-boxing - everyone is entitled to their own thoughts lol!

My main defence on this comes from my accessory addiction...here is an example, over the years I have owned 3 of the Prom Queen SHS MIB - they cost me between £40 and £65 each. I sold them about a year ago - I got my money back on 2 and the other one bombed a little in price. However, I have over the same period of time managed to collect the 4 of them loose and complete....and I will tell you honestly and simply that buying these ponies individually [some with some accessories, some complete and some accessories just by themselves] has added together to cost more than what I paid for the MIB versions! Another good example of this is Sweet Clover or Good Weather - if recent ebay auctions are an indication, they are now "cheaper" MIB that you would have to pay if you were tracking down individual accessories.

So, yes, if I only wanted the pony and not the accessories, then selling a MIB and buying a much cheaper single pony makes sense but the theory that a loose and complete pony is always cheaper is not the case. I dont get it either but it seems to be the way! I am of course not claiming this is the case with every pony!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 12:21:47 PM »
I was a 90s kid, so I never experienced the joy of opening a G1  :<
If I had the chance to free a MOC, I would, but only if I loved the pony enough to keep her afterwards. :) 
Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
Well I ll hold my hand up and admit that I have de-boxed in the past....at the end of the day a pony belongs to the person who purchased her so its your individual call but I can completely see the side of people who are against de-boxing - everyone is entitled to their own thoughts lol!

My main defence on this comes from my accessory addiction...here is an example, over the years I have owned 3 of the Prom Queen SHS MIB - they cost me between £40 and £65 each. I sold them about a year ago - I got my money back on 2 and the other one bombed a little in price. However, I have over the same period of time managed to collect the 4 of them loose and complete....and I will tell you honestly and simply that buying these ponies individually [some with some accessories, some complete and some accessories just by themselves] has added together to cost more than what I paid for the MIB versions! Another good example of this is Sweet Clover or Good Weather - if recent ebay auctions are an indication, they are now "cheaper" MIB that you would have to pay if you were tracking down individual accessories.

So, yes, if I only wanted the pony and not the accessories, then selling a MIB and buying a much cheaper single pony makes sense but the theory that a loose and complete pony is always cheaper is not the case. I dont get it either but it seems to be the way! I am of course not claiming this is the case with every pony!

Yes, thats exactly why the two doubles I have (that I'm holding onto for now)  have me tempted. Hoping I'll find them loose and complete. But, Paid $40 for MIB Lucky leaf and leafy. Guessing I couldn't get them loose and complete for that. Another is the last watercolour seapony I'm missing loose and complete. Paid $12 for the MOC. I paid over double for my loose ones, and most were missing their ribbons. (Like I said earlier, no pony room, no reason to open them... yet.)

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 12:40:51 PM »
I have done so in the past, though none of them were expensive (at the time anyway), and I don't regret any of them.

Two were Greek ponies at a time when MOC Greeks were cheaper than loose ones, believe it or not! I still have both in my collection and love them to bits. One was actually damaged by the card the was on.

One was a baby Fancy Pants who's packaging was damaged and was already missing one accessory from where it was coming apart. The final one was  a Sundae Best pony whose card and bubble were severely sundamaged. At least, we though it was just the card and bubble. When we opened her, we found the pony herself was horrifically sundamaged as well! She's a two-tone pony, perfect on one side, majorly discoloured on the other! I keep her around because she amuses me :)

Although I have done it, I wouldn't do it willy nilly with just any packaged G1. I have plenty of MOCs/MIBs who are never being opened by me! :)

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline relcelestia

• Trade Count: (+107)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Argie Obsessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 12:42:15 PM »
YES!!!! but only argentinian ponies ^_^
totally do not regret it. but thats because argies are soooo hard to find in great condition!! and they also seem to cost the SAMe NM as MIB. so i dont loose any money and i enjoy a super minty pony too :)
If it were a super rare argie i would not decard them.... but i also would not buy them in the first place becayse i just do NOT like ponies in plasic!

also, this may seem contradictory, but i would NEVER decard a US pony! i think the nostagia i have from seeing them still in the package is just priceless. PLus its really easy to get MINT US ponies. but again, i would also never buy a MOC US pony...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:06:02 PM by relcelestia »
HEY [you]! Sell me your Argies! :dribble: Wishlist

Click HERE to see my 125 Argies!

Offline Buttersketch

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 12:45:27 PM »
I never have, but I sure would be tempted to, so I just don't buy MIB/MOC ponies.

comics |LJ|Tumblr|DA

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 12:59:16 PM »
MUWhahaha...

I opened Mimic!
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 01:03:40 PM »
I have opened G1s... when they were still sold in stores! XD Back then Id get like one new each christmas/birthday (both occur on the same date for me) but otherwise I had to get ponies from auctions or yard sales so it was a rare pleasure back then as well.

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 01:10:05 PM »

Never have... but the temptation is always there xD

Same here!  I am afraid I would regret it since MIP G1s seem to be getting harder to come by.  But I do miss the magical feeling of opening them for the very time as a kid.  And I will admit, I feel bad for the ponies that have never been opened or played with after all these years  :nerdy:
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 01:14:33 PM »

Yes, thats exactly why the two doubles I have (that I'm holding onto for now)  have me tempted. Hoping I'll find them loose and complete. But, Paid $40 for MIB Lucky leaf and leafy. Guessing I couldn't get them loose and complete for that. Another is the last watercolour seapony I'm missing loose and complete. Paid $12 for the MOC. I paid over double for my loose ones, and most were missing their ribbons. (Like I said earlier, no pony room, no reason to open them... yet.)

Lol! I am currently experiencing the same issue with another Pony Pals set - Baby Nectar and Baby Stripes - MIB they cost me £25...with their ribbons, bottle, all other items and in gorgeous condition I will never get them for the same price...so right now the boxed set tempts me!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 01:28:26 PM »
I've not opened any G1 ponies since I was a kid in the 80s BUT I have opened a Perfume Puff Palace and a Kitchen (I cannot for the life of me remember the proper name of the kitchen?)

I bought these with the express intent of de-boxing them, fitting them together, sticking the stickers on and knowing I had all the accessories. Never regretted it, thoroughly enjoyed putting them together and would do it again with a playset I didn't have :D (But there are only a few I don't have - Grooming Parlour, green Waterfall and Megans Palace and doubt I could afford the latter anyway!!!)

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 01:42:45 PM »
Yeah. I bought Happy Tails Squeezer to debox anyway as the box was battered, but when she arrived her head had popped off! So no brainer. :p

I did decard the accessories too but she wears them now.

I got my Perfume Puff Palace with box so that I could have the fun of opening it but no guilt, same with my UK Kitchen.

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 01:56:26 PM »
i personally would never take a G1 out of its package unless its at risk of harming the pony, but i don't have a problem with people who do open them. i have a huge temptation to open certain things, so i can understand the need/want to free the pony from its prison lol

Post Merge: January 19, 2012, 01:59:18 PM

MUWhahaha...

I opened Mimic!

my heart fluttered when i read this, but i think it was mostly out of sheer jealousy that you got to experience the rush from opening her XD and also the excitement at the thought of a fresh mimic being out there in the pony world. XD
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:59:18 PM by Varkolak »

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 02:03:28 PM »
I've never gotten a MIB G1 in my adult years.  I've been looking but they've been too pricey, which I understand why.  I've been sort of dreaming of getting a MIB G1 just to open it. :devious:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal