collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cutting Dolly Hair ~ Tips Please  (Read 525 times)

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
Cutting Dolly Hair ~ Tips Please
« on: July 03, 2012, 03:37:54 PM »
Hi folks,

I have a few dolls that I think would look better with shorter hair. I've only ever tried cutting a toy's hair once and I made a bit of a hash of it (I was trying to make my Fluttershy pony's mane look like it does on the show), so I'm a bit nervous about trying it on my dolls.

Luckily, I have a broken wave 2 Frankie I can use as a test subject. I think my wife would also be willing to let me use her extra sharp fabric scissors.

The main problem I encountered when cutting the pony's hair was simply keeping it straight. I remember that every time I snipped, the closing scissors would push the hair out and I'd end up cutting at a diagonal instead of straight.

I'm hoping some of you folks with more experience customizing dolls can give me some tips on how to cut dolly hair without making a mess of it.

I'm specifically thinking of trimming some of my MH dolls' hair, particularly my Rochelle and my Home Ick Frankie. I think they'd both look cuter with little bobs instead of the really long hair they came with. However, I don't want to just start hacking away at their hair because of course it won't grow back on its own, so if I mess it up, it'll be stuck that way, as I have no experience with rerooting doll hair and wouldn't know where to start.

So fire away with your tips please!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Jonathan
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:42:33 PM by pukunui »

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting Dolly Hair ~ Tips Please
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 04:10:06 PM »
I wonder if littler scissors would work?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 04:11:25 PM »
I wonder if littler scissors would work?
I don't think so. I think there's just some trick to it that I'm not aware of. Like, there's probably a good reason barbers/hairdressers make lots of little snips ... but I imagine it's easier to cut hair on a living person's head because they can hold their head still for you, whereas you have to hold a doll with one hand in order to cut their hair, so it's a little more difficult. Maybe?

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 04:19:40 PM »
I don't have any experience customizing dolls, and I've only cut down some CAM wigs, but I think I'm very good at it (if I do say so myself :P)  I cut down the majority with fabric scissors, but switch to cuticle scissors to do the clean up and finer points.  A tip I ALWAYS use is to never cut at the length you want it to be.  Always leave it longer and work your way shorter and shorter, because as you say, it won't grow back.

As for help with cutting in a straight line, I don't have any fool-proof tips, but cutting in short snips, and never cutting all the way to the tip of the scissors (near the tip is where you tend to lose control of the cutting.  More control = better/cleaner cut), is the best I can offer.  Stop cutting when that pinching/pushing you mention starts, and line up again.  Maybe cutting in layers would help too. 

Anyway, best advice I have is use really sharp cuticle scissors:)
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »
Thanks!

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 04:34:48 PM »
Don't just go by what I say, though!  As I said, I don't really have much experience.  I'm sure cutting a regular dolls hair is much different than just cutting down a wig.  I hope others respond to this thread to help too.  I'd feel terrible if it doesn't work out! 
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 04:39:51 PM »
Find some way to anchor the doll, whether by weights or straps or whatever. When humans have haircuts, gravity holds them into the chair so the barber can hold the hair with one hand and snip with the other :3

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 06:51:12 PM »
Don't just go by what I say, though!  As I said, I don't really have much experience.  I'm sure cutting a regular dolls hair is much different than just cutting down a wig.  I hope others respond to this thread to help too.  I'd feel terrible if it doesn't work out! 
LOL. No worries. I hope more people respond too. The more, the merrier!

Find some way to anchor the doll, whether by weights or straps or whatever. When humans have haircuts, gravity holds them into the chair so the barber can hold the hair with one hand and snip with the other :3
Right. Thanks. With my ponies, I would grip them between my knees, but it doesn't seem to work as well with the dolls. Not too sure why.

Offline LiquidCyanide

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 11:21:56 AM »
Right. Thanks. With my ponies, I would grip them between my knees, but it doesn't seem to work as well with the dolls. Not too sure why.

I do this, i find it sometimes works better if you put the doll on a stand, gives your knees more to grip, its still kind of awkward though  :huh:

Offline kerry483

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://kerry483.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 01:15:35 PM »
When you are cutting the hair, section it like you would cutting human hair. Take most of the hair up, and holding the bottom section (layer) cut cut it to around the length you want, holding the hair section between your index and middle finger. Then take the next layer, using the first cut as a guide line. Continue in this manner til all the hair is cut. This way, the hair will fall naturally, and you aren't trying to hack away at too much hair. Use a tail comb to section it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:19:20 PM by kerry483 »

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 02:52:19 PM »
Thanks. I had been using a toothpick to separate out strands of my ponies' hair. I'll have to see if I can find a tail comb in the shops.

Offline CasseminaPie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Cassemina's Corner
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 06:45:27 PM »
My tip is don't wet it like human hair >.< I did this to a wig I was cutting recently thinking it would help but it won't as the hair doesn't sit flat when it dries!
Come visit my blog!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 07:44:52 PM »
My tip is don't wet it like human hair >.< I did this to a wig I was cutting recently thinking it would help but it won't as the hair doesn't sit flat when it dries!
How odd! I'll keep that in mind.

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 04:36:01 PM »
I got barber scissors at CVS for $10... They're very nice, they cut plastic hair good. :P
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal