collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Photos of outdoors near you  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: Photos of outdoors near you
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2014, 04:40:36 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is my backyard.  My upyard?  This is overlooking my home and the hot springs/resort where me and my dogs work.  These pics were taken from horseback last August when my sister came to visit.  The long, tan thing you see in the second picture is the landing strip, not a road.

The Tanana Valley, as seen from right outside of Fairbanks, AK.

I am ridiculously spoiled by Mother Nature.

So pretty! Are they cedar trees?

Looks like lovely place for a days hacking  :)
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2014, 10:38:18 PM »
I don't like it where I live (cuz there's simple nothing) but it looked nice when we had that horrible winter two or three years ago.
So I took some pics =)
There are some fields starting straight behind our street & stream.
In the summertime there are always ponies and horses on the fields.

BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Offline amazonarabian

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2014, 08:49:04 AM »
Quote from: Artemesia Floc
[/quote

It is a very lovely place for a day hike!  I'd recommend it to anypony that wanted to come up and visit.  I'll even volunteer to be your tour guide! 

There may be cedars along the southwest coast of Alaska, but none in the interior- this is boreal forest country.  It is technically a subarctic desert due to our low rainfall, and we have a layer of permafrost about 2 feet beneath the ground that prevents taproots from forcing their way through.  (As a side note, because of the permafrost, rainfall and snowmelt have nowhere to go, so it all just sits on top until we also turn into wetlands- cala lilies grow so dense in the wild, people have asked me if we planted them there).  Our few tree species have to be very tough, so we do not have many of them.  Six in total, I believe- white spruce, black spruce, tamarack, Alaskan paper birch, quaking aspen, and cottonwood.  Lots of willow shrubs, too, but not trees. And the further north you travel, of course, the fewer you'll see until it's just the tiny, twisted little black spruces and then... nothing but tundra.  Sometimes heavy snowfall will topple our hardwoods- their root systems just rip and rise out of the ground as the tree falls over- it's pretty amazing!  Our little sickly-looking black shrubs are also BAMF and can withstand pretty much everything.  Their seeds are opened by fire, which is one of the many reasons we don't stop forest fires any more- our world depends on fire to replenish *everything*- and to stay cozy when it's chilly!

Sorry to babble!  I find everything about this place is just so amazing, I get over-enthusiastic about it.    :blush: 

Thanks for giving me an outlet, Artie!  What a great topic!  I'm loving everybody's pictures here.  Our world is so vast and unique everywhere we see.  I can't get enough of it!  Gorgeous cemetaries, Narnia-trees in winter, Studio Ghibli rose gardens, crazy pretty architecture.... What a fantastic world we have here. 

Keep the pictures coming!
Thank you, brightberry, for my lovely avi.

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2014, 06:07:46 AM »
I don't like it where I live (cuz there's simple nothing) but it looked nice when we had that horrible winter two or three years ago.
So I took some pics =)
There are some fields starting straight behind our street & stream.
In the summertime there are always ponies and horses on the fields.

Those photos are really stunning! The first one looks like it should be in a textbook  ^.^

It looks lovely where you live. I like 'nothing'  :)

Post Merge: April 27, 2014, 06:11:46 AM

Quote from: Artemesia Floc
[/quote

It is a very lovely place for a day hike!  I'd recommend it to anypony that wanted to come up and visit.  I'll even volunteer to be your tour guide! 

There may be cedars along the southwest coast of Alaska, but none in the interior- this is boreal forest country.  It is technically a subarctic desert due to our low rainfall, and we have a layer of permafrost about 2 feet beneath the ground that prevents taproots from forcing their way through.  (As a side note, because of the permafrost, rainfall and snowmelt have nowhere to go, so it all just sits on top until we also turn into wetlands- cala lilies grow so dense in the wild, people have asked me if we planted them there).  Our few tree species have to be very tough, so we do not have many of them.  Six in total, I believe- white spruce, black spruce, tamarack, Alaskan paper birch, quaking aspen, and cottonwood.  Lots of willow shrubs, too, but not trees. And the further north you travel, of course, the fewer you'll see until it's just the tiny, twisted little black spruces and then... nothing but tundra.  Sometimes heavy snowfall will topple our hardwoods- their root systems just rip and rise out of the ground as the tree falls over- it's pretty amazing!  Our little sickly-looking black shrubs are also BAMF and can withstand pretty much everything.  Their seeds are opened by fire, which is one of the many reasons we don't stop forest fires any more- our world depends on fire to replenish *everything*- and to stay cozy when it's chilly!

Sorry to babble!  I find everything about this place is just so amazing, I get over-enthusiastic about it.    :blush: 

Thanks for giving me an outlet, Artie!  What a great topic!  I'm loving everybody's pictures here.  Our world is so vast and unique everywhere we see.  I can't get enough of it!  Gorgeous cemetaries, Narnia-trees in winter, Studio Ghibli rose gardens, crazy pretty architecture.... What a fantastic world we have here. 

Keep the pictures coming!

This is great news! I have another friend to visit in Canada so I may have to drop by  ;) :goes off to look up flights:

You sound like a biologist, I appreciate your enthusiastic response! I love the idea of swathes of cala lillies in boreal forest. I have read about boreal forest and always wanted to visit.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 06:13:00 AM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2014, 06:55:25 AM »
Well this first one is literally out my front window

And these were taken about 30 mins from my house on four-wheeler trails in the mountains

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2014, 01:03:23 PM »
Lovely pictures everyone. Once I'm feeling better I'll get out and take pictures.
Unicorn_pops, are the pink flowers rhododendrons? My mom's family is from WV,OK, and KY. And those where her favorite flowers.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Online Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2014, 09:17:01 AM »
It's not mountains, but it's home, and I love it^^
1 by Shaiyeh, on Flickr

Especially this tree. :heart:
2 by Shaiyeh, on Flickr
3 by Shaiyeh, on Flickr

4 by Shaiyeh, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 09:28:16 AM by Shaiyeh »

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2014, 05:24:31 AM »
Such beautiful photos! It's lovely to look at all this wildness. Keep them coming  :)

Rainfeather

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2014, 06:19:50 AM »
My favourite place to walk, the place where I was born. My parents still live there, when I visit we allways take a long stroll there.

and in the winter

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2014, 11:12:02 AM »
 :dropjaw:  :freak: such lovely winter scenes!

I want to go somewhere with real snow next winter :)

Offline Rarityfan2011

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2014, 01:22:52 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal