collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fall of Cybertron due 29/8/12.... anyone else looking forward to this??  (Read 3308 times)

Xaniss

• Trade Count: (0)
Besides ponies, another passion of mine is Transformers and I love the games to boot too!

One of THE best Transformers game ever produced (in my humble opinion  ^.^) is the 2010 High Moon release of 'War for Cybertron'. I have it on PS3 (bought it for $20 in a clearance bin in Harvey Norman - best 20 bucks I've ever spent!) and I still play the game to this day! Loving Escalation mode - in my not-so-humble-opinion, I was absolutely stoked to have made it to wave 36 solo with Air Raid (I quit the game, it didn't beat me!  :P) Screencap:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

*Sorry for the dodgy photo - my flash doesn't like taking photos on the TV and I didn't have great light come late afternoon!  :blush:

But this game really is fantastic - G1 orientated (including dialogue with lines from the animated movie - 'spare me this mockery of justice!') with the 'bots designs tweaked enough in their Cybertronian modes to pay homage to their original cartoon designs.... I won't carry on about the game (even though I could!  :lol:) but put simply: if you like Transformers and gaming - then this game is a must!

Forget the Dark Moon based game (also done by High Moon - I had high expectations for this game because of who the developers were, but they were dashed. It just wasn't as good as WFC.. it seemed.. I don't know.. rushed..? And it didn't have the online features WFC has) with character appearances of Omega Supreme, Tripticon and working through levels that involve breaking out of Kaon Prison, escaping Omega, watching the bombers shell the streets of Iacon and racing across the speedways, it really is a fun ride to be on!

Sooo, in all this pandemonium I'm forging, I was just wondering if any other ponies peeps are into Transformers too? Do you collect figures/into the comics/read fanfiction?  :P  Are you just as excited as I am for this game release? Has anyone else played or do you still play WFC? Or you're simply scratching your head thinking you have no idea what I'm on about!  :lookround: Thoughts/questions/comments most welcome!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Hubby is ultra excited. He preordered it the second he heard about it. I'll have to tell him about this thread so he can stop in. I'm sure he has tons to say.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Xaniss

Thanks for that! Would be happy to type away to someone else about this! :D

Heheh, I've pre-ordered mine too! Certainly can't wait! :cheer:

Offline Echo_Shell

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • De Omnibus Dubitandem.
    • View Profile
Finally made it.  Kat's hubby.  Yes, I'm excited.  As an avid collector and fan of all things Transformer related (with the exception of Michael Bay, who I have a personal grudge against) I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see if Fall of Cybertron will be everything it's hyped to be.

As said, I'm an avid collector.  My collection spans all generations, fakes and Chinese knockoffs (or anything else I can get).  Though not at all happy with Bay or the movies he directed, my collection does still include every movie figure I can get my hands on, but generally I prefer the newer releases of old Generation One designs, with seekers being my preference in most cases.  Apart from them, Arcee is probably my favorite - cliche I know, but I make no apologies.  I've been following her from her origins in the eighties Movie to her newest (and my favorite) incarnation in Transformers Prime.  Gotta love it when a writer goes rogue, eh Bay?!

So, well...yes.  Looking forward to the game.  And the Prime game to be released at nearly the same time...and hopefully faction-specific games for the DS for either or both titles.

Xaniss

Heheh, glad you could come out of the Angry Dome and drop by! :P

I have serious issues with Bay too - it's not enough he shat all over the franchise (and enjoyed every darn moment!) but made a motza out of doing so too!

I would be no-where near as avid a collector as you (gotta wonder where you put all your collection what with BOTH Transformers and Ponies.. though I'm not one to talk :blush:) and while I don't agree with the content/continuum/simple logic that the Bay-verse movies entail (that really should be DON'T entail) .... they still allow us to view some of the greatest characters 'come to life' on the big screen - and I still collect the figures - sad I know. I don't have any from the Revenge line.. looking for Sideswipe though and only nabbed the Leader Class 'Hide and 'Bee - would like Shockwave too. Most of my figures are from the original movie (plus the figures that were never seen, like Big Daddy) with a *very* sparse smattering of G1s  :(  I would love the Alternators Nemisis Prime though!  >_<

I actually never heard of WFC when it came out in '10... I must have been living under some rock, but I'm so glad I saw and purchased the game.. sometime last year (clearance bin) I've never played the other platform versions - would you know how the DS version differs? I've been tempted to get the DS version, simply for a 'what the heck' I can play it when not on the PS3.

But what about this Prime show??? I heard about it a few months ago, but we don't get it over here.. Is it related to Animated? I seriously didn't want to youtube it, for both censorship and comfort factors (can't watch movies on my computer) there are a few Prime toys in the shops, but I have zero idea about it! The stores here have just released Prime Vol 1: Dark Rising (or Darkness Rising) and I've ordered my copy but since I haven't seen the end of Animated (as the TV stations cut the series) I didn't want to have any spoilers happen. Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter! Thanks! :D

As for Arcee - please don't apologise there.. she seems a staple amongst Transfans. Though personally, I really haven't seen her since the animated movie (I don't remember most of Revenge, let alone remember HER in Revenge  >_<) and since I never had a 'thang' for pink, I didn't follow her all that much and I was pretty 'meh' of her in the IDW series (both spotlight and movie-verse) so like her or leave her, I'm pretty neutral there.

There needs to be more rouge writers - especially when it comes to cleaning up the mess Bay left us with. Do you read any of the comic series by chance? I heard Dream Wave had them ages ago and it's been picked up by IDW - I've lost track of the actual series, but found the initial Infiltration series a reasonable re-boot... with the exception of the human characters... well the female character (Verity..?) anyway - she's *nearly* as annoying a Pepper is in the Iron Man: Armored Adventures show!!

I did enjoy the Stormbringer mini-series - just to see Jetfire! Yet another awesome character ballz up by Bay  :mad:  But hey! I'm digressing in my own thread... can I do that?  :lookround:

Okay, I better get off this soapbox of mine and yes, I really do hope FOC is all that's cracked up to be - the previews look awesomely (hard) fun! And they're bringing back Escalation too, I really like that you can play as a triple-changer now - wanting that more over Grimlock! And we get Jazz! I liked Jazz in multi-player/Escalation modes, so my hopes are high for this one!

Offline Echo_Shell

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • De Omnibus Dubitandem.
    • View Profile
To answer questions - the DS version of War for Cybertron is definitely worth a try.  It plays like a platform game with full three dimensional gameplay and combat similar to zelda type lock-on and smash mechanics.  Where it differs from the console versions is that it allows the player to chose his character (from those unlocked) prior to beginning a level.  Individual characters grow as they level up and a certain degree of customization occurs as you distribute skill points to buff out stats and unlock abilities.  The characters themselves are also far more G1 reminiscent.  Characters such as Cyclonus, Motor Master, Grimlock, Swoop and the conehead Seekers appear as unlockable characters, frequently unlocked through a boss battle ordeal that the player can opt to accept or skip.  A lot to like, but there is a downside.  First, there is little if any multi-player mode.  Pretty sure there's none at all, but can't recall exactly.  Second, there are two versions like so many DS games.  While there are Autobot and Decepticon components in both faction's version, in order to play the whole game, all characters, et cetera you must still get both versions.  That said, I probably got a lot more out of my single Autobot DS version than the PS3 game simply through the character growth and all of the unlockables.  There's simply more to do.

With regards to Prime.  It is Orci and Kurtzman's brainchild.  In case you are unaware, these are two of the three writers for the first two Bay films, who were notably disgusted with Bay and what happened during the production of Movie 2.  In Prime, these writers have been permitted to give full voice to their love of Transformers without Bay's meddling.  Arcee is a well developed character, possibly the strongest second only to Prime himself.  The humans are used in such a way as to benefit the plot.  Partnered with particular transformers, they seldom appear alone and their scenes seldom pass without developing both characters.  That is to say, when we hear from Jack, it is usually in conjunction with his partner Arcee and although the situation at hand may focus on Jack's problem, Arcee shows a bit more of herself in how she helps him to deal with it.  Bay failed to do this - ever.  When we see Sam it is usually in conjunction with other humans.  The humans will converse while Bumblebee beeps and the twins spazz.  Eventually something explodes.  That's about it. 

That's not to say the series doesn't have its weaknesses.  I wasn't happy with the conclusion of season 2 or their handling of Unicron.  We still have no Dinobots.  The seekers never materialized beyond a single teaser episode.  The Decepticons, while far more fleshed out character-wise than they ever were in the movie, their ranks are still dominated with nameless drones.  But all in all, Orci and Kurtzman are doing the series justice in ways I haven't seen since the eighties.  Try Prime.  For the love of everything holy, try Prime as soon as you can.

The comics.  I don't really read them because they're too expensive to keep up with, but I do follow synopses on Transformer wiki sites and Seibertron.com.  From what I can tell, most of the movie-verse comics spend most of their time cleaning up Bay's mess.  That is, they attempt to clear up the continuity errors Bay creates between movies, explain inconsistencies and more or less force order upon chaos in ways that have never fully succeeded.  Characters that are dead prior to a movie are revived and/or altered.  Grudges are created.  Redundant characters are killed off.  As far as the non-movie comics, they have become an endless series of reboots.  I don't bother.  Occasionally a plot line will intrigue me, but that doesn't typically go very far.  Seibertron.com's good for keeping up, if I ever care to.

That about sums it up.  Oh, and you...you brat.  In addition to the Preorder bonuses we get in the states, don't you Australians get that awesome black Swoop?!  Evilness!!

Offline EStRanger

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
I love me some Transformers Prime, Echo_Shell! As for actual Transformers, I only have Flame Convoy/Scourge, because he had such a unique design with the dragon body and the multiple heads. XD
Don't look for me!

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
XD My hubby  wants you to send me your username so he can ad you as a friend!

Xaniss

Interesting about the DS game - will have to grab a copy and have a go, thanks! :D

I did know Orci and Kurtzman were writers on the movies and moved aside for the third installment, but if you're hog-tied by the Director, then there is very little they could do. Haven't had a moment to even google Prime (slack I know! :blush:) but I definitely will give it a go - it's Transformers, how could I not!?  :P

Oh and I hear you about the Bay-verse - I'm with you there. The trouble with Bay is that he is a shallow, egotistical individual and that's why the movies are the product they are: there is no substance to them because there is no substance with the Director. I will say that the first movie was a *reasonable* starting point - but way, way too much human focus. Okay, the first movie was meant to be about a boy and his first car - and granted that naturally progresses to a more 'human' perspective... but for subsequent films? That is just utter crap - the movie title is 'Transformers' not watching annoying humans with robotic aliens in the background bowing to their every whim - it just made me feel sick and I couldn't believe the yarn they were spinning! And continue to do so!  :mad: .... I'm seriously waiting for the re-boot by someone with talent! Heck even High Moon proved they could do a better take on Transformers than Bay could ever hope to dream of!

Oh, and you...you brat.  In addition to the Preorder bonuses we get in the states, don't you Australians get that awesome black Swoop?!  Evilness!!

Well in my 'OMG-I-gotta-have-this-game-no-matter-what-comes-with-it' conniption fit when I was pre-ordering FOC, I really didn't know what the DLC pack included - I saw EB Games included a bonus pack so I thought 'cool, extra goodies' and did the order without questioning... but on closer examination is does seem we DO get the black Swoop! Plus I pre-ordered in store, so I get the Grimlock poster too!  ^.^

Yes, I am a brat and a spoilt one at that :lol:

XD My hubby wants you to send me your username so he can ad you as a friend!

heheh, your hubby can totally do what I did too! It's not that hard with Air Raid, seriously... just gotta watch your back and snipe away from a vantage point! I actually just posted on an Escalation Strategy page, if your hubby wants to read what I do:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-video-game-discussion/315816-escalation-strategization-25.html

I haven't played multi-player in months and I wasn't *that* great a player then... I don't think I'm being modest either, but if you want to add me on the PSN I'm Xaniss77 (original I know, but I tend to be Xaniss everywhere! :P)

---

Oh and brag update: Made wave 44 in Escalation:

:drunk:

Offline Echo_Shell

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • De Omnibus Dubitandem.
    • View Profile
Release date has been changed to August 21.  Link to article follows:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-fall-of-cybertron-through-the-matrix-trailer-release-date-changed-host-migration-more/25242/

And you can have your black Swoop as long as I get my G1 Optimus with his Megatron pistol.  Otherwise I'd be waiting for a price drop or two.  Almost never buy games full retail anymore, but these are extenuating circumstances and such.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
I dont mind watching thne movies and such, and I have a bit of a sentimental thing growing up with them, but thats the extent of things with me^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Totally out of my consciousness, but I'm glad for y'all. :)

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Xaniss

Release date has been changed to August 21....

Almost never buy games full retail anymore, but these are extenuating circumstances and such.

>_< My pre-order status date hasn't changed at all... so you probably can gloat how good it is a week earlier before I can even get it!!  :P

And no, I don't buy games/pre-order them either.. I tend to wait a couple of weeks for the price to drop and then buy it at the cheapest place I can find (which is usually Big W... a chain store like Target, but usually cheaper than them... but it still would be classed as uber expensive to US locals - if that makes any sense... I didn't think so  :satisfied:) but like you said: this IS extenuating circumstances and I'm only making an exception for FOC  ^.^

I dont mind watching thne movies and such, and I have a bit of a sentimental thing growing up with them, but thats the extent of things with me^^

Sooo, if you have a sentimental thing for the cartoon, how can you bear watching what Bay did to them?  :P  I joke, I joke (not really...   :hmm:) the movies could have been heaps better in my opinion. I like the visual side of the movie, whereby we actually are seeing giant robots transforming into gleaming smokin' hot machines (and then some  ;)) and mashing about... but the humans/focus on the humans/Sam  :enraged:/Government owning them/actual storyline, blah, blah could of and should of been much, much better. Like I said, I'm waiting for someone with talent to re-make this!  :ohyeah:

Totally out of my consciousness, but I'm glad for y'all. :)

Heheh, thanks for stopping by all the same!  :)

Midnight_Echo

I'm looking forward to the new game. I am so excited to have the dinobots in there. I think they've done a good job with the trailers I've seen and I have some of the dinobot concept art hanging around. Of course I'm just now waiting for them to announce dinobot toys... which they better!

I would highly recommend the Transformers Prime series. You don't need to see Animated to know what's going on. In fact, I think Hasbro has been having some troubles with releasing Season 3, unfortunately. My SO is a huge TF fan and collects all of them. The Prime figures are built quite well and have excellent articulation and really match up with the show.

Xaniss

I'm looking forward to the new game. I am so excited to have the dinobots in there. I think they've done a good job with the trailers I've seen and I have some of the dinobot concept art hanging around. Of course I'm just now waiting for them to announce dinobot toys... which they better!

I would highly recommend the Transformers Prime series. You don't need to see Animated to know what's going on. In fact, I think Hasbro has been having some troubles with releasing Season 3, unfortunately. My SO is a huge TF fan and collects all of them. The Prime figures are built quite well and have excellent articulation and really match up with the show.

Well there definitely is more coming out - Bruticus is on pre-order and classed as 'wave 2' seems only Jazz, Optimus (What the..? We got Optimus the first time round! :huh:) and Shockwave for the moment... Brawl looks good, but his pre-order has already been sold out!  :shocked:

And thanks for the info about not needing to see Animated to know what Prime is all about  ^^; I'm so behind with my shows :lol:

Seems Bumblebee is going to be mute in the FOC too!  :blink:  I don't get that at all, especially since he came up with some classics like 'Leave him alone Brawl, or you'll have to deal with ME!' heheh - that can't be translated into beeps and squeaks! And just for the dang of it:  :throw: 

Forgot to add bit about your OH's collection - I take the Prime toys are made of sturdy stuff then the Revenge toyline..? That was a range designed to stay in boxes and not be played with - only bought one (Sideways..?) and mid-transforming him part of his window clip came off in my hand! Imagine what the ones ended up like in the hands of kids..!? :yikes:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 05:20:49 AM by Xaniss »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal