collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High returns again!  (Read 41714 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High returns again!
« Reply #390 on: February 14, 2024, 03:37:37 AM »
I think the Lizzo thing was just speculation since original Catty's name and pink theme was speculated to be inspired by Nicki Minaj. Casta Fierce's name was also inspired by Beyonce's "Sasha Fierce". These things seem to be only skin deep, it's probably just the singer's image appearing on the vision board of the character designer.

I saw some people on social media saying "don't buy this doll until the trial outcome" and I just laughed irl.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 14, 2024, 06:19:54 AM »
Ooohh, I getcha. Yeah, I could see that being a vague inspiration thing maybe, but like... IIRC Garrett said Catty was partially inspired by Jem as well as some other singers... aha, I found it! Don't think I can link to it since it's on his Instagram stories (I'm rushing right now) but he said she was "an amalgamation of singers - Carly Rae Jepson, Ariana Grande, Lady Gaga and some Jem"
so I could see G3 Catty having a similar mix of inspirations, just generally drawing from current popular artists and such? But I don't think it'd be anything particularly deep.

As I said, I don't hate the design. I just don't really feel why Catty, as opposed to anyone else. I'd have been fine with a plus sized Ghoulia if she'd still spoken zombie...but this is a bit..."tick box."

Took the words out of my mouth.

Like I said, I'm open to the idea though! I'm neutral...ish on her outfit... it's not the worst G3 outfit but it's not really the best either, and yeah, they really are obsessed with belts and chains, aren't they? x) I am interested to see what kind of redressing options she'll have. That's my other nitpick with making such a unique body mould, it limits the redressing ^^; Not a problem if you like her original outfit, I guess, but these *are* fashion dolls... it's nice to at least have the option of redressing.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #392 on: February 15, 2024, 03:36:41 AM »
Yeah, the redressing is a big one; it's one of the main reasons the Jem line failed. Mattel are proper doll people, though, with regards to that stuff, I'm wondering whether clothes from other dolls in other lines they've made might fit her, and thus overcome the immediate problem with that. Selling Catty with a wardrobe of outfits (for her stage show) would also help that, but if they're going to go there with one doll, they need to do it with more (or have multiple of the same character) to enable dress up play.

...Again, this brings it back to 'why Catty'. If you make it Lala or one of the other main cast, then you are going to release that character often. That will mean multiple outfit options by default. Are there going to be multiple release options for Catty in G3? I admit, I haven't been really keeping up with the cats in G1, but I think I only have two Catty dolls. One is from the set with Toralei and the other, wherever she is, has a union jack dress I think? I know there are a couple of others at least, but compared to how many Lagoonas, Rochelles, etc...

I suppose we'll see.

It may also be possible for her to wear some of the tops from the others, depending on if they have sleeves.

Can I just say that I think the thing that bugs me most about this doll is whatever is going on around her wrists. I'm assuming it's meant to be 'fur', but it just looks weird.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 15, 2024, 08:10:45 AM »
And here are even better pics of Catty:

https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/3173-monster-high-catty-noir-g3-doll-2024.html

You know what, seeing her in detail she looks very cute. That face is so adorable! But upon a closer look I just hate the boots and the backpack even more. The boots actually have a mirror shard detailing and heel. But they are solid magenta. How much would it have taken to just cast the boots in silver or at the very least the heels. I still don't get the broken heart, it makes me wonder if they'll give her a storyline about being unlucky in love or whatever.

I just think it's lazy to give another pink and black doll a heart motif. I'm also just being a hater, but G3 and its weird Goofy/Pluto rules also annoy me more and more. So Clawdeen always had a cat, but G3 Clawdeen has a wolf. Now Catty has a cat. But Draculaura could no longer have a bat and Venus could no longer have a plant. They both have a dog and a cat now. What weird executive decides on what species the pets can be?  :lol:

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 15, 2024, 11:04:57 AM »
I actually kind of like that Catty.  But, I can definitely see everyone's point.

The pink boots do need the silver detailing.  But, I think if they made the boots all silver, they would steal all of the focus and make the doll look unbalanced.  So, I don't know.  Maybe the boots could have been silver and smaller. 

This conversation also makes me wonder if Goofy is a werewolf.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 15, 2024, 12:29:00 PM »
I was never big on the pets, but honestly, as someone who hates dogs and loves plants, that seems unfair xD.

Maybe it's morally wrong now to tell kids that plants can have feelings. :p

If they had made the lines on the boots silver I don't think it would've been too much.

Is it ok for a cat to have a pet cat?

I do like her braids though.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 15, 2024, 01:55:48 PM »
Well now I don't know.

I missed some spots and the silver should be shinier but I wanted to see the differences.

I do think painted details would have made a big difference.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 15, 2024, 04:16:33 PM »
Very nice, Brightberry! Either option would look much better than the big lump of pink she has going on.

This conversation also makes me wonder if Goofy is a werewolf.

Oh, he absolutely is. Just stuck end-transformation so the front teeth are still human and his face is flesh colored. Hyuk!

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 16, 2024, 01:54:02 PM »
Oooh, she's definitely growing on me. I just don't like how skinny her arms are ^^; They look so weird and out of proportion.

It may also be possible for her to wear some of the tops from the others, depending on if they have sleeves.

unless this is why they didn't give her thicker arms? to try and help with the redressing problem? if that's the case then I guess I can understand that, it still looks kinda weird though.
(I'm not a huge fan of the furry wrists either. It looks okay on the wolves, I suppose, but Catty's so dark that it's harder to tell it's fur on her unless you've seen the other anthro dolls. Mostly it bugs me since that's the only place they seem to give the anthro characters fur! Although I guess Catty's tail is nice and fuzzy too.)

I was thinking of Jem too. IDK, maybe some of the Curvy Barbie clothes will fit her?

Selling Catty with a wardrobe of outfits (for her stage show) would also help that, but if they're going to go there with one doll, they need to do it with more (or have multiple of the same character) to enable dress up play.

...Again, this brings it back to 'why Catty'. If you make it Lala or one of the other main cast, then you are going to release that character often. That will mean multiple outfit options by default. Are there going to be multiple release options for Catty in G3?

Well said!!
Catty had 7 G1 dolls and so far the werecats seem to be doing pretty well in G3 too? there's... three Toraleis so far, sig, locker and the one in the 3-pack with the twins, and YouLoveIt has a fourth one listed too:

https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/3433-monster-high-fearbook-dolls-2024.html
No photos yet but there's descriptions; it says Draculaura and Twyla will also be in the line.

So maybe they'll end up doing several Catty dolls too? But it still seems a bit short-sighted not to give her any other clothing options from the get-go.

The cat-with-a-pet-cat thing doesn't bug me, I just don't like how the G3 pets are all generically cute and kind of samefaced :P I do LIKE most of the G3 pets (except Chewlian, that... abomination is the worst thing to come out of G3) but I just wish they weren't almost all cat/dog things, you know? They don't really have as much personality as the G1 pets did.

I still don't get the broken heart, it makes me wonder if they'll give her a storyline about being unlucky in love or whatever.

I just think it's lazy to give another pink and black doll a heart motif.

Oh man I hadn't even noticed the broken heart motif before?? I do think it's clever how the broken heart on her belt kinda-sorta makes a "13" shape with the cracks. But otherwise I agree, it overlaps too much with Draculaura's theme/motifs.
I'm not a huge fan of the backpack either but mostly I just think it looks out of place with the rest of her outfit, I don't dislike it in general. It just looks too casual considering the rest of the doll seems to be an on-stage look.

OMG Brightberry, those edits look soooo much better!! The first one is my favourite, but both look great. The boots are a good mould but there's just too much pink going on, and I LIKE pink xD Just highlighting some of the details would help a lot.

Going off Catty a min, I'm not sure if these have been posted yet?
https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/3583-monster-high-cleo-de-nile-g3-doll-vanity-playset.html
Pretty nice, but not a patch on the G1 vanity. Not sure why they made the turban bright blue, it blends in with her hair too much and also unrelatedly it gives me Norma Desmond vibes, but that's neither here nor there.

https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/3481-monster-high-monster-fest-dolls.html
So far G3 Cleo hasn't interested me, but I really like this one! Frankie's not my style and neither is Lagoona BUT I do think this is about the best G3 Lagoona so far. (But I don't understand why her purse seems to depict G1 Neptuna instead of the G3 design?? Although I don't remember either version being so bug eyed... xD)

but omg Clawdeen is so pretty! not a huge fan of the fur on her boots, that's a bit too much, but everything else is so lovely <3 And I love the Hissfits/Catty posters. (not a huge fan of the art for Catty, but I like the idea) Still weird for me to think of Toralei/the twins as musicians, though.

The playset's pretty boring, but I actually really like the Draculaura that comes with it. I like how understated/simple her design is, compared to the others. I think a lot of the G3 dolls are way too cluttered and overdetailed. I also like how different she is compared to the other G3 Lauras, so far her dolls have been too samey IMO. The little touches of green look nice too. and omg those BOOTS!!! I'm not usually one to go crazy over doll shoes but omg :lovey:

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 16, 2024, 04:36:03 PM »
Carrehz, I think I can explain that Neptuna :cool:
It's a toy Lagoona uses in the cartoon to calm her nerves. It has the super creative name of Señor Squeaky. It's obviously based on G1 Neptuna but the eyes bug out since this is a feature of the toy when Lagoona squeezes it.

Btw, I kept watching the cartoon because the animation is really cute. I kinda like how different they look to the dolls, especially the feet. But oh man, is it for young kids. No issue here but I was actually able to enjoy and get invested in the G1 and G2 cartoons and movies but G3 is just so unfunny to me. I really tried to like it but it feels like MLP G3 writing and I'm old :lol:

I dislike Lagoona's character for being so aggro all the time and Clawdeen is just boring and joyless. Draculaura is overpowered. Frankie and Cleo are legitimately entertaining characters but I don't buy their relationship. Twyla's autism had me screaming/laughing because everyone told me she was such great representation but the moment she appears she just says: "Ok, so I am autistic". Don't get me wrong, it's great they show her being sensitive to noise and it goes well with her being into books because the library is a place of silence. But that dialogue...

It's not like I hate the show. Just like the dolls, there are some decisions I just can't relate to or understand. As long as kids like it it's fine and it's better than the live action stuff for sure.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 17, 2024, 01:05:01 PM »
Twyla's autism had me screaming/laughing because everyone told me she was such great representation but the moment she appears she just says: "Ok, so I am autistic". Don't get me wrong, it's great they show her being sensitive to noise and it goes well with her being into books because the library is a place of silence. But that dialogue...

Wait a minute, what? Twyla is autistic now? Is this how they're solving the Ghoulia issue? I am so confused.

I am guessing the reason she says it up front is for the kids' sake, so that they can 'get it' more easily, rather than just nuancing it in.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 17, 2024, 07:30:40 PM »
Taffeta, yes Twyla is the chosen one :lol:
One of her dolls actually comes with noise cancelling earbuds which is cute. They pretty much chopped up G1 Ghoulia's personality and spread it out to Frankie and Twyla. Twyla also inherited the interest in board games.

About the speech being for kids... I don't doubt that. It was just cringe. At that point I had also watched the Abbey centric episode and Draculaura says "we have to support and uplift the yetis" or whatever, and I cringed pretty hard at that, too, because it's word choice that you would expect from adults talking on Twitter/X. MH was always talking about inclusivity and "freaky flaws" but it was put in monsteriffic terms and made kinda fun for kids. It wasn't so dry.

Offline freezestime

• Forever and Always the Prom Queen
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 18, 2024, 02:05:30 AM »
Taffeta, yes Twyla is the chosen one :lol:
One of her dolls actually comes with noise cancelling earbuds which is cute. They pretty much chopped up G1 Ghoulia's personality and spread it out to Frankie and Twyla. Twyla also inherited the interest in board games.

About the speech being for kids... I don't doubt that. It was just cringe. At that point I had also watched the Abbey centric episode and Draculaura says "we have to support and uplift the yetis" or whatever, and I cringed pretty hard at that, too, because it's word choice that you would expect from adults talking on Twitter/X. MH was always talking about inclusivity and "freaky flaws" but it was put in monsteriffic terms and made kinda fun for kids. It wasn't so dry.

Yeah I agree, they don't have the same charm and nuance or character traits as G1.
Freezestime's Masterlist! https://bit.ly/3x1te5n
Dedicated G2 thread! https://bit.ly/3vIIJhL
Dedicated G2 V2.0 thread! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,403447.msg1880080/topicseen.html#new
Forgotten Toy lines! [urlhttps://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=395090.150[/url]

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 18, 2024, 07:29:31 AM »
It is interesting. I'll have to make time to go google Twyla clips and see what they've done with it. I'm prepared to overlook awkward disclosure (because of the target audience) so long as they haven't gone down the tick box stereotype route.

I am not a fan of the monsterised language used even in G1 (creepy cool is fine, but turning every other word into something monsterish is a bit annoying. Though I'm not a kid so it's not really for me to judge, lol :)

All that said, I still don't really understand why Ghoulia couldn't have continued to be Ghoulia.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 18, 2024, 07:53:35 AM »
Carrehz, I think I can explain that Neptuna :cool:
It's a toy Lagoona uses in the cartoon to calm her nerves. It has the super creative name of Señor Squeaky. It's obviously based on G1 Neptuna but the eyes bug out since this is a feature of the toy when Lagoona squeezes it.

Oh! Thanks for letting me know. With how inconsistent the art for G3 has been (and with them initially changing Cleo's pet and then going back on it and adding Hissette back in anyway, etc) I really didn't know if it was just weird off model art or what :lmao:

I didn't know they'd done that with Twyla, that's interesting. I agree they should've kept Ghoulia as-is though :/ It just feels weird to me to change up a character so drastically if you're going to turn around and give OTHER characters those traits anyway, you know? Like what difference does it make.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal