collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: TRU collectors series - box or not to  (Read 658 times)

ponygirl74

• Trade Count: (0)
TRU collectors series - box or not to
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »
That is the question. I was looking for the TRU Nightmare Moon that is sold separate from the collectors set but it was I was in the express store and they didn't have her  :( But they did have RD as Shadowbolt. So I so I picked her up. I was wondering as dfar as exclusives is it better to keep in box to to set them free? That has been a debate with collectors of dolls model horses and other collectables.  ( I do gave a hutch if I was to unbox her) 

Offline MANIMAL!

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: TRU collectors series - box or not to
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 08:57:55 PM »
It's more collectible than other releases, but not a sin to open. What do you want it for? An investment to resell or part of your collection to enjoy? Would you enjoy the set more in the box or out? If you resell it someday, will you be really sad if it goes for less because you enjoyed it out of the box?

For me, I opened it. Collecting for me is a hobby, not a career. If I enjoyed them more in the box, I would keep them MOC. However, I prefer to hold my ponies and pose them around the house, so I debox them all.

Offline silverdragon54

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 09:21:43 PM »
I thought about opening Shadowbolt Dash to wash the "gel" out of her hair, but I just couldn't do it. I love the allure of a MIB collector's item. ^.^ Talking Nightmare Moon on the other hand, I didn't hesitate to debox her. Same deal with talking Cadance. (I passed on talking Whitelestia.) The box already has a hole in it to accommodate the "try me" button, and I had to take her out anyway to remove the batteries. I've had batteries corrode in other toys. It's not pretty and it's NOT happening to my ponies. :P

Even though I deboxed Cadance and Nightmare Moon, I did it very carefully and kept the boxes.
Will make custom plushie for MIB Fashion Style Applejack. PM for details!

See my pony art here!
My items for trade
My wanted list
My plushies!, Handmade plushies for sale!

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 09:45:46 PM »
I deboxed Zecora, but I always save the box and the plastic pieces so if I wanted to I could put her back in. Then again if I were to sell I would obviously tell the person she has been deboxed but, it's certainly better to have all the parts than not have them.

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:40:11 PM »
I thought about opening Shadowbolt Dash to wash the "gel" out of her hair, but I just couldn't do it. I love the allure of a MIB collector's item. ^.^ Talking Nightmare Moon on the other hand, I didn't hesitate to debox her. Same deal with talking Cadance. (I passed on talking Whitelestia.) The box already has a hole in it to accommodate the "try me" button, and I had to take her out anyway to remove the batteries. I've had batteries corrode in other toys. It's not pretty and it's NOT happening to my ponies. :P

Even though I deboxed Cadance and Nightmare Moon, I did it very carefully and kept the boxes.
Ew ew ew! I know that feel. I do NOT want icky smelly corroded batteries in my ponies!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 01:49:12 AM »
Remember, a common toy's never worth anything if no one opens 'em.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 02:48:07 AM »
Many already know my stance with boxes. it's not a sin to open any box or card. It's a choice.  :biggrin:

With a G1 exclusive I would avoid buying in a box because I know I'd open it so I always go for loose unless I spy a good deal.  ;)

With a G4 exclusive I wouldn't see the point in keeping it in the box unless you only bought it to sell at a later date. Like Maninmal I like to hold my ponies and move them around a bit and I have no space for boxed ponies unless i put them in a cupboard. Then I can't see them. I kept the box for my CP 25th Anniversary set mostly because I like the artwork but it also makes a good stand to put cp ponies on  :biggrin:

If you bought it for keeps and want to open it go ahead  :biggrin:
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 03:53:36 AM »
It is totally up to you. Its your pony and you can do what you want with it. I wondered what was I her hair. I looked at them the other day and did not like how the hair looked! 

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 04:01:08 AM »
It's more collectible than other releases, but not a sin to open. What do you want it for? An investment to resell or part of your collection to enjoy? Would you enjoy the set more in the box or out? If you resell it someday, will you be really sad if it goes for less because you enjoyed it out of the box?

This! ^

This is all that matters. As a community its not really up to us to say if its better to open her or not. All that is important and relevant is what matters to you. If you are buying it for future value then yes its better to leave it MIB - however due to the sheer volume of them in existence and likely to remain MIB, think of "investment" on Beanie Baby level you are not talking about them increasing in fortunes over the years. However if you would never consider parting with her or if/when you do if you would not be fussed about making a significant profit then and, most important, if you prefer her loose then let her out the box.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Aquarel

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Forever busy with stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 04:28:13 AM »
I keep them MIB untill I have a difficult moment. Mine are all ment to be unboxed, but unboxing them makes me happy. (whooo new fresh pony) So I save up that part for when I need it the most.

When the G3s started to come out, I also kept all of the boxes and other stuff, but that causes a lot of clutter and a lot of extra banana boxes stored in the attic. I recently got rid of them all.
Selling some ponies to pay for the vet bills of abandoned rabbits I adopted!
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385086.msg1626364.html#msg1626364:frog:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal