collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ever Customize one of these?  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Ever Customize one of these?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 11:03:59 PM »
I used acetone on the seam to dissolve the glue, and then I used a table knife to slowly pry it apart from where the main was inserted and around.

The acetone didn't damage the plastic? I accidentally spilt acetone on a similar plastic, and it was eaten away. I've been too scared to try it for real on any hard plastics since.
nope didn't give me any problems at all, the glue was really brittle anyway and not holding it together well anymore, so the acetone was only on for a few seconds, I just rubbed it with a qtip. Probably depends on the sort of plastic though too
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 11:16:04 PM »
I'm going to sub to this thread so I remember to check if any of my old horses are suitable to send to you. I would love to see them all fixed up and put in someone's collection. I don't particularly like them but I don't want to throw them away!

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 11:25:47 PM »
Beautiful job! :bigups: She looks fantastic!
I customized a Dream Beauty once but didn't go so far as to pry her apart and replace the hair so that's original.

Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 07:20:47 AM »
I'm going to sub to this thread so I remember to check if any of my old horses are suitable to send to you. I would love to see them all fixed up and put in someone's collection. I don't particularly like them but I don't want to throw them away!
awesome! thanks :3

Post Merge: May 09, 2012, 07:21:45 AM

Beautiful job! :bigups: She looks fantastic!
I customized a Dream Beauty once but didn't go so far as to pry her apart and replace the hair so that's original.

wow she's gorgeous :3 and the hair is still in great shape! I had no choice on mine, the hair was a hopeless horrible snarled mess from years of abuse from my childhood, my poor horses went through a lot  :cry:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »
maybe I can help out? Show me pictures of it, maybe I can figure something out :3
I'll have to post tomorrow, almost bed time for me now XD
okay sounds great :3 have a good night :3
Here is some of the photos of her (them)
Click here for the photos
[img2]http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l562/sd_dreamcrystal/Pony%20Photos/DSCN1698-edited-.jpg[/img2]
[img2]http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l562/sd_dreamcrystal/Pony%20Photos/DSCN1702-edited-.jpg[/img2]
[img2]http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l562/sd_dreamcrystal/Pony%20Photos/DSCN1699-edited-.jpg[/img2]

The one without hair had/has broken seams but not  all the way through, they are uneven and when I got her as a kid fro ma flea market someone had seemed to have taken a hot rod or something to her because the middle of her back has a melted hole which I already sanded down. I did manage to get all the hair out but with how she is now she won't come apart x.x Oh and she still has a gap below where her tail is supposed to go XD I tried to fix that but it didn't work. The other one with hair is nice but she needs some fixing up still and her seam was broken when I got her in the mail (the seller thinks that it broke during transit *shrugs*)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »
maybe I can help out? Show me pictures of it, maybe I can figure something out :3
I'll have to post tomorrow, almost bed time for me now XD
okay sounds great :3 have a good night :3
Here is some of the photos of her (them)
Click here for the photos
[img2]http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l562/sd_dreamcrystal/Pony%20Photos/DSCN1698-edited-.jpg[/img2]
[img2]http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l562/sd_dreamcrystal/Pony%20Photos/DSCN1702-edited-.jpg[/img2]
[img2]http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l562/sd_dreamcrystal/Pony%20Photos/DSCN1699-edited-.jpg[/img2]

The one without hair had/has broken seams but not  all the way through, they are uneven and when I got her as a kid fro ma flea market someone had seemed to have taken a hot rod or something to her because the middle of her back has a melted hole which I already sanded down. I did manage to get all the hair out but with how she is now she won't come apart x.x Oh and she still has a gap below where her tail is supposed to go XD I tried to fix that but it didn't work. The other one with hair is nice but she needs some fixing up still and her seam was broken when I got her in the mail (the seller thinks that it broke during transit *shrugs*)
ooo that could be a fun project hmm.... Now since I've only done this whole thing once I might give bad advice, but I'm sorta wondering if it's glued pretty good... One way to try and loosen the glue up and expand the plastic is get some really hot water and pour it inside the horse, like give it a hot water bath. Try it on the one without hair, and just let it soak in hot water for a while until the water cools down just enough so that it won't burn your hands, then use a table knife and start at where the mane goes and slowly try to pry it apart.

other than that, I'm not really sure without actually messing with the horse... if you're really stuck, maybe you could send one to me and I could see if I can figure out how to get it apart? If you do though just be prepared that it could break, because you never know with those things sometimes, I don't want you being upset with me if you send it to me and I break it while trying to get it apart XD ^^;

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »
I'm in process of fixing up a Breyer Dapple horse (similar to Grand Champions and Barbie horses). Its so beat up. I'm using acetone to get its paint off and it hasn't eaten the plastic. I think it would definately eat the plastic of a regular Breyer model though.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 10:56:09 AM »
ooo that could be a fun project hmm.... Now since I've only done this whole thing once I might give bad advice, but I'm sorta wondering if it's glued pretty good... One way to try and loosen the glue up and expand the plastic is get some really hot water and pour it inside the horse, like give it a hot water bath. Try it on the one without hair, and just let it soak in hot water for a while until the water cools down just enough so that it won't burn your hands, then use a table knife and start at where the mane goes and slowly try to pry it apart.

other than that, I'm not really sure without actually messing with the horse... if you're really stuck, maybe you could send one to me and I could see if I can figure out how to get it apart? If you do though just be prepared that it could break, because you never know with those things sometimes, I don't want you being upset with me if you send it to me and I break it while trying to get it apart XD ^^;
I want to say I had to dunk her in hot water because she needed to be cleaned on the inside XD I did try to glue her back so I don't know if the hot water trick will work with her (the glue I used was that quick hold stuff that comes with the E6000 in that small glue tube pack in walmart) I might try the acetone on her again, though I used it last time to try and smooth some scuffing on her ^^;
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 10:56:30 AM »
yeah it's quite possible it might, I'm not sure, I just know the one I played around with it on was just fine and she looks gorgeous now :3

Post Merge: May 09, 2012, 10:57:53 AM

I want to say I had to dunk her in hot water because she needed to be cleaned on the inside XD I did try to glue her back so I don't know if the hot water trick will work with her (the glue I used was that quick hold stuff that comes with the E6000 in that small glue tube pack in walmart) I might try the acetone on her again, though I used it last time to try and smooth some scuffing on her ^^;
hmm,.. you could try cutting through the glue that you put on there with an x-acto knife maybe? I'm not really sure how hard the glue is, but in general if you heat it up enough, the glue should soften i would think, you could try a hair dryer right on the glue spot too

Offline Ambar

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 07:42:09 AM »
woww i never did it, but looks like something i want to do ;)

Offline EmberBright

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Disregard the Prologue - my blog about... um... everything
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 11:05:50 AM »
Gorgeous!

I have two smaller ones in the same kind of plastic that I'd love to do something with, but their heads move- I don't know how much that would affect taking them apart. They're really neat that way, though. I'll keep an eye out for your tutorial if you ever do one!

Disregard the Prologue

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 11:51:37 AM »
So cool! How much hair did it take to rehair her?

I have a discoloured Sindy horse I've been meaning to do something with but haven't got round to yet (read as - it's been sunfading forever and I'm too scared to try and split it apart! :lmao: )

Here is one that I've done though -

Bubbles!

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal