collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Remember When...? G3 History  (Read 1589 times)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Remember When...? G3 History
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:30:24 AM »
So I had been looking for an old link to an old website on the old Arena :P *starts to feel old* and its made me remember how excited we all would get over new ponies being spotted, new brochures with pictures or even over names being trademarked during G3. Sound familiar? :P

In many ways what we see with G4 now is, as we know, what we all went through with G3. So I wondered when G3 was at its peak or just started, which ponies did you hear about and were most excited to track down.

For me the best part was when the Breezies were first mentioned! I was so excited to track their sets down!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Remember When...? G3 History
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:44:06 AM »
G3 was my first real exposure to MLP, since I was a little kid when they came out.  I remember being beyond excited when I heard that they were coming out with Pegasus Ponies, and drooling over the Butterfly Island play set (which I got for my birthday one year!).  The introduction of the Pegasus ponies was probably the most excited I was for any G3 product.  :biggrin:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline TheGreatSpid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:49:26 AM »
I was most excited with the G3 line when, it was first released! I remember going to toysrus and seeing the double packs, Kimono, Autumn sky, sparkle works, ect. (so many new ponies!!) I was so excited to see mlp back on the shelves!  I don't recall how I found out they were being released, but I do remember going specifically to the store to get these new ponies. I was also very excited when they came out with Pegasus ponies!!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 07:21:01 AM »
I joined after lurking for a year or two - I didn't even know there were pony websites on the internet! My main internet hangouts were the Ty website and Neopets, for goodness' sake! XD So for me, my biggest moment of excitement was looking for new exclusives that I saw pictures of online - like the Halloween ponies! One of the biggest events, for me, was seeing the announcement of the MLP Fair - and it was in my state! Oh, that was so super exciting, I still remember eagerly wanting to go! And I even got super-lucky and won a MIB Bay Breeze for my pony art work! It was great. :heart: I hadn't ever heard of 'exclusive ponies' before, since I bought all my ponies new in the store, so to me, Bay Breeze was like - SUPER cool!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline jupiterlily

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
  • 80’s baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 07:55:12 AM »
I remember waiting for Rarity to be released and how exciting it was to have a G3 unicorn after all that time of waiting.

The wave of releases that came with Brights Brightly and Starflower were my favorite I think, and what I remember as my highest point of G3 excitement. Pretty much any G3 unicorn was a "must have" for me.

The holiday ponies were always fun to anticipate as well.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 08:22:36 AM »
I was always so excited to see new ponies! My local stores always had new ponies coming in. They seems to sell them pretty good to! Now the G4 ponies are total different story, they are very slow at selling. :(  I do miss them G3 days!!!!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 09:11:39 AM »
I remember when I first heard MLP's had come back. I was completely excited. It brought to mind all the fun I had as a little kid. My baby ponies were always getting kidnapped and trapped in nets, and my big ponies would fly in or wink in to rescue them! :D I had to go look for these new ponies right away.

I remember stopping at Reny's (a small chain store here in Maine) and spotting Starbeam. I scooped her up and went home to try typing MLP into Google--that's how I found the Arena for the first time! :) No one was even talking about the Glitter ponies yet, so I was super excited that I had found something released early.

After that, the next time I got REALLY excited was when Star Catcher was released. A pegasus pony finally! And she was so beautiful too... After that, Coconut Grove and Thistle Whistle were my faves for quite a while thanks to them being in the animated special Friends Are Never Far Away. I just end up liking the toys more when I can put them together with an animated character with personality. :)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 09:26:04 AM »
I remember the first wave being released in 2003! And how disappointed everyone was with the symbol being only on one side. 

Then walking into toys r us and the display was so small. I loved wysteria, and I grabbed one of each. They came out right around my high school graduation. 

Now the one sided Cutie mark doesn't really bother me anymore.

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »
The Winter ponies with Velvet Bow! I remember when I finally found them in Walmart, and I carried them home so happily!!

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 11:53:55 AM »
I remember holding Kimono and Rainbow Dash in TRU and struggling to choose just ONE. I went with RD, BTW... dahlings!

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 12:26:27 PM »
I never really got into the G3 ponies... but I remember that it was around the time I started customizing ponies, and I happened to go to a store and spotted them for $5... I was like "OOoo baits" and I bought a few of them, baited them out and customized them.

I honestly didn't even know they'd released my little pony again until then, and I only saw a couple episodes... hated it and refused to ever watch it again because I felt they destroyed MLP. I remembered the good old days of G1 mlp, and in my mind nothing could compare to it. I still hate G3 and G3.5 cartoons and refuse to watch them, and when I heard about g4 coming out, I was terrified they were going to destroy it even more, but I was surprised when I finally worked up the nerve to watch an episode, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the ponies actually had enemies and had crazy personalities, it was refreshing :3

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 03:00:19 PM »
I started collecting in 2006 and I remember being most excited for the cutie Cascade/Crystal Design ponies (so pretty) and the release of unicorns.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 05:44:42 PM »
Does anyone still check that trademark website? I've always been curious about that. There used to be a link! I think we should star checking that again! Silverfall? Do you have the link? *pokes silverfall who probably won't see this ;)*

There were such cool names on that they didn't use! Remember picnicity? Cabana rain?! Ohhh I wish!

Eta found the list! Looks like they've resubmitted for some old names like star swirl, amber locks, and daisy Jo. Also looks like they are trying to trademark the acronym mlp!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 05:51:36 PM by Mermaid »
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 10:53:13 PM »
When I started recollecting MLP, after having some G1's as a child that I gave away, it was G3's I started recollecting.  It was awesome seeing MLP in store shelves and in most places MLP took up an entire aisle or one side of it.  Lots of times Toys R Us would have sales--buy one get one free or half off.  There was so much variety when G3's first came out, before they did the core 7.  Also, we had holiday and seasonal ponies to look forward to, it was great.

It was cool that Hasbro did a points program on their website.  Sadly I had just started collecting points and I really wanted the Frilly Frocks plush but didn't have enough points.  I got Love Wishes which was labeled as limited but after the points program was over they came out with Frisco and another pony which was basically Love wishes with a different symbol.  They had tons of those so Love Wishes wasn't so limited./color]
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 10:55:20 PM by Majesty »

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 02:57:58 AM »
When I first heard they were coming I was upset...I ranted about how I hated them and they were nothing like the original G1 line that I grew up with and loved....I kept eyeing them everytime I went to the store...and I didn't want to admit it but I was falling for them. My mom let me get one pony and bam....that was it. It was Blue Jeans. I heard about Holiday ponies and went nuts...granted it was towards the end so I only got a few holiday ponies....sigh.
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal