collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Which would you buy?

I'd buy the full set of Mountain Boys.
40 (87%)
I'd buy Rapunzel.
4 (8.7%)
I'd sit and cry on the floor in a little heap because life isn't fair, and miss both.
0 (0%)
I just clicked this because I wanted cookies. Are there cookies?
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Just for fun, a what would you do scenario featuring the Mountain Boys!  (Read 2878 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Sadly, my choice would revolve around whichever I could turn around and sell for more money. I have a hefty credit card bill (from buying ponies!) that needs to be paid off before I can remotely justify owning anything as expensive as Rapunzel or Mountain Boys. Not sure what MBs go for these days, but I saw Rapunzel on Ebay a couple months ago that bid upwards of $1000...that would pay off my debts and then some, leaving some cash to splurge on a few on my want list that aren't so out of my price range!

But if it came down to which I'd rather actually own...Mountain Boys 100%.

1,000 bucks?! That is insane!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline StillandSilent

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Mountain boys.   I don't personally find Rapunzel attractive or interesting.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Sadly, my choice would revolve around whichever I could turn around and sell for more money. I have a hefty credit card bill (from buying ponies!) that needs to be paid off before I can remotely justify owning anything as expensive as Rapunzel or Mountain Boys. Not sure what MBs go for these days, but I saw Rapunzel on Ebay a couple months ago that bid upwards of $1000...that would pay off my debts and then some, leaving some cash to splurge on a few on my want list that aren't so out of my price range!

But if it came down to which I'd rather actually own...Mountain Boys 100%.

1,000 bucks?! That is insane!

Yeah it was! I don't remember what the auction closed at, but it was at $1000 when I started watching it. The seller had a ton of other ponies up for auction starting at $5, and I wondered if that's what the Rapunzel started at. All the others seemed to be bidding really high too, and I wondered if there was some shill bidding going on there, or all their auctions were just getting a lot of attention because they also had a Rapunzel listed, not sure. Anyways, it was interesting to watch!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
boys hands down ;) i don't  get repunzel, how is she so sought after?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
Some people like her colors and long hair. Plus of course there's completionism. That combined with her rarity - she was a mail-order pony from the tail end of the line when she came out, and seems to have been the least-ordered of the bunch - is what drives the price up. People getting competitive tunnel-vision at auctions doesn't help
should be perma-moderated

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
Some people like her colors and long hair. Plus of course there's completionism. That combined with her rarity - she was a mail-order pony from the tail end of the line when she came out, and seems to have been the least-ordered of the bunch - is what drives the price up. People getting competitive tunnel-vision at auctions doesn't help

right i see thanks for that,  :ohyeah:  competitive tunnle-vision LOL,

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
I'm another person who doesn't really get the Rapunzel hype. Sorry, Punzie!
But Mountain Boys :lovey: One of my favourite sets! I have three (my gf's childhood Sunburst, plus Tornado and Thundercloud) and I'd love to have the rest. Plus stickers and ribbons :inlove: both things I adore!
I'd be sorely tempted to keep the doubles too :blush:. I just love Mountain Boys. I think it was their descriptions in the UK Fact File that won me over.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
The six boys, & their stickers & ribbons & backcards!!!
The combs would be a prezzie for a friend who wanted them or could sell them on... Though the combs are rare as hens' teeth I'm not a major comb fan & only have a few on my Wantlist...

Simply because I live in the UK & had two MBs from new as a child.

Tell me about it. THe ONLY stickers I don't have from my childhood are the three MB stickers. I have all the others. THey were all stuck on my DC, but they must've fallen off. We moved twice because of Dad's job between 1987 and 1988, and that was when they were out, so...bye bye stickers. And I've never been able to afford to replace them.

I also never kept the cards either. As a five year old I didn't think of it :'( I only have one MB Backcard which is Tornado's. He's not one of my childhood ponies but at least I have that one, you know?

At least I still have the brush/combs of my childhood three. Even though 2 of them we've never seen MOC, I always know which ones are theirs (Sunburst, Fireball, Thundercloud).

I probably have the ribbons somewhere too but will never be able to identify which they are in the mess of ribbons I have.

I don't try to collect all the brush/combs but with this set I did, just because they're special. I actually have a double of Fireball's which I got in a lot at a toy fair thinking it was Trucker's (xD). Turns out it wasn't. I have Trucker's now too and two Fireball brushes ><. That can't be right.

(which ones did you have from new?)
Tornado (so a scan of that backcard would ROCK) & Lightning
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Lightning! You lucky person. I wanted him so bad as a kid, but I never saw him in the stores. Which means I've never seen him MOC because right now not a single one is known to exist. Sigh...

It's not quite a scan (and I can't scan the front anyway as the card still has the bubble attached, lol) but how is this??
Spoiler

Good enough for the time being?? Feel free to save but not share/reupload please. xD

I am biased but IMO the cards from the UK in 1987 are the nicest G1 cards of all of them.

The factfile stories for this set are also the backcard stories if Tornado is anything to go by. I am looking for the other cards too *hint* but this one came in a lot of old packages and I'm sure that it was this package that pushed the price up. But it is in such nice condition because the bubble is there and you can see all of the art, so I guess I'll settle xD.

Re Rapunzel - her price has been regularly around $1000 for quite a while now. The rationale behind it eludes me. Mine cost me 50p essentially, as I traded for her - but as you can probably tell, she's damaged xd. Still, I'm happy with my 50p Rapunzel and don't feel the need to bankrupt myself for her.

If I won the lottery and could buy one $1000 pony, it'd be MOC Sunburst. I had him when my sister was born so he was special to both of us and since the other two I had as a kid also don't seem to exist MOC any more...LOL xD.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 09:32:37 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Lightning! You lucky person. I wanted him so bad as a kid, but I never saw him in the stores. Which means I've never seen him MOC because right now not a single one is known to exist. Sigh...

It's not quite a scan (and I can't scan the front anyway as the card still has the bubble attached, lol) but how is this??
Spoiler

Good enough for the time being?? Feel free to save but not share/reupload please. xD

I am biased but IMO the cards from the UK in 1987 are the nicest G1 cards of all of them.

The factfile stories for this set are also the backcard stories if Tornado is anything to go by. I am looking for the other cards too *hint* but this one came in a lot of old packages and I'm sure that it was this package that pushed the price up. But it is in such nice condition because the bubble is there and you can see all of the art, so I guess I'll settle xD.

Re Rapunzel - her price has been regularly around $1000 for quite a while now. The rationale behind it eludes me. Mine cost me 50p essentially, as I traded for her - but as you can probably tell, she's damaged xd. Still, I'm happy with my 50p Rapunzel and don't feel the need to bankrupt myself for her.

If I won the lottery and could buy one $1000 pony, it'd be MOC Sunburst. I had him when my sister was born so he was special to both of us and since the other two I had as a kid also don't seem to exist MOC any more...LOL xD.

They look so handsome in the drawings.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
It's just the time and intricacy of bothering to give them a scene to be standing in. I really like that, and it's true of a lot of the 1987 cards. But that's way off topic even if it my thread. :) It just happens to be the case.

Sadly also the 1987 UK cards are not that easy to obtain. Seems to have been a quick switchover between 1987 and 1988 in some cases, and even ones where the 1987 sets continued with the same package (like the Princesses) are like gold dust. I still only have 2 UK princess pony boxes, even though they were out for 2 years :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
Definitely would go for the Mountain Boys. More for the money and I'd have Lightning (the other MB I'd like to get to go with the Tornado I already have as part of my storm chasing team).

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile

Spoiler

Ooh this is amazing cheers!!! Saved the piccies in their huge size & they rock socks!!! Cheers so much for the nostalgia!!!

Yep, Rapunzel's nice but no backcard so no backcard art... Backcard art is always awesome!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Welcome! It's an awesome card and deserves to be shared!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal