collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Little Pony Media Over reaction????  (Read 3820 times)

BigHicks1977

• Trade Count: (0)
My Little Pony Media Over reaction????
« on: July 20, 2013, 06:03:24 PM »
I saw this story pop up on AOL check it out and give your opinion of what you think

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/19/evolution-of-my-little-pony_n_3617896.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony Media Over reaction????
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 06:57:17 PM »
I  really do not know what to say about it all. I have never been a doll collector. I do not hope these dolls get more attention then the ponies do. :( That is all that I have to say.

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 07:14:31 PM »
They do have a point...ponies didn't have to change into creepy "sexy" dolls to keep kids (and collectors) interested. I fully believe that marketing guy needs to do some better research.

Side note: I acknowledge that there's people on here that like the EQ dolls and that's totally fine. It just bugs me that they are trying to turn ponies into dolls...if I wanted to collect dolls I'd start buying up Monster High or Bratz. Just my opinion.
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »
I think that parents should be concerned about exposing their children to toys (and other media) that might cause them to have unhealthy views on what a normal body looks like.  However, I think it might be a little unfair to pick on MLP (regardless of the fact that I am totally disinterested in EG and just want my ponies to be ponies.)  Hasbro is only following the trend.  They are not setting the trend.  If you have to blame a toy for that, look no farther than Barbie or even Monster High or Disney.  Though, in the end, it comes down to the consumer.  If parents didn't buy those kind of fashion dolls, toy manufacturers wouldn't make them.  Hasbro is just trying to make money on what they see the consumer buying.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 07:23:32 PM »
I was actually thinking about the turning them into humans things.  They claim it's to attract teens to MLP.  The problem is this doesn't attract them to the core of the brand which is ponies.  A better strategy would be to do what they did with G1 and have some humans somehow get dropped into the ponies' world and take part in their adventures.  A few teens interacting with the ponies would build a better bridge than turning the ponies into teens.  Though Friendship is Magic isn't really the kind of show that can take advantage of this.

And the dolls are creepy looking.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 07:28:50 PM »
I was actually thinking about the turning them into humans things.  They claim it's to attract teens to MLP.  The problem is this doesn't attract them to the core of the brand which is ponies.  A better strategy would be to do what they did with G1 and have some humans somehow get dropped into the ponies' world and take part in their adventures.  A few teens interacting with the ponies would build a better bridge than turning the ponies into teens.  Though Friendship is Magic isn't really the kind of show that can take advantage of this.

And the dolls are creepy looking.

They wouldn't even necessarily have to do that.  They could simply make a show that has more adventure and longer story arcs and more complex story telling.  Just because you are a teenager doesn't mean that you have to actually see teenagers (in high school, no less) to identify with the characters.  Or maybe that was just me.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 07:29:20 PM »
HuffPo does articles like this from time to time. It's an interesting look at the evolution of the brand. But I don't understand how Hasbro can say these dolls attract teens to ponies..don't you have to know who Rainbow Dash is to get her character and personality?
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
You know, I'm really tired of reading all the negative backlash surround girl's toys.  I have 3 daughters, ages 8, 7 and 2, so I have lots of experience with girls and what they want and this ain't it:

Every time something new comes out aimed at girls, we have the conservative groups who believe it will turn our daughters into promiscuous women.  Children are molded by their parents, not Clawdeen Wolf or Rainbow Dash.  My daughters see these dolls as pretty girls with cool clothes, not as what they aspire to be when they grow up.  My job as their mother is to keep them on the straight and narrow; to grow up with dreams and ambitions.  If they turn out poorly, that's on me not Hasbro. 

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline TwoMore

• Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 08:03:22 PM »
These new dolls freak me out.

Post Merge: July 20, 2013, 08:03:24 PM

Fransponies

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 08:03:43 PM »
Bratz and Barbie have made ponies before, so I guess Hasbro answered back by making a doll in their line.  :lol: I am not a doll collector either, but I still like the EG ones. I am only going to buy one or two though. I like ponies much better. The only way I would have a problem with it, is if they stopped making ponies and only made dolls. Now that would really upset me. I like the diversity though.

I didn't think those dolls were sexualized at all. You always see people dressing up like ponies for like cosplay. Now they have a doll that looks like them when they do.  :) It would be nice to have some more natural looking dolls for a change though. I wouldn't mind seeing more realistic body types on a doll that represent real women.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 08:07:36 PM »
The article made me roll my eyes. I'm pretty liberal, so in my opinion these people are freaking out a little too much.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »
I'm not too big on freaking out over thin dolls either. i mean, all these dolls are way too unrealistic so I don't think it's such a big issue personally.

But i do agree that the direction Hasbro took sucks :( I'm really unhappy about Equestria Girls as the point of MLP was that THEY WERE NOT HUMAN! I understand that they are a side thing but it's a bit of a slap in the face, at least that's how i feel about it.

Then again, i never warmed up to G4 either because i just really don't like their look. The body and the eyes, I just don't find them cute and I don't find them ponylike :( so i just realised that the new toy fashion is not my thing.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

thekozmicpig

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 08:30:34 PM »
You know, I'm really tired of reading all the negative backlash surround girl's toys.  I have 3 daughters, ages 8, 7 and 2, so I have lots of experience with girls and what they want and this ain't it:

I love how all of them seem to be looking at something off screen with a mixture of curiosity and disgust. It's as if someone one brought Bratz into the room and they are all "Kids today. Oy."

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 08:35:03 PM »
They've done a couple of articles on MH lately, so I wasn't surprised to see this.... the toy brands are just being hounded right now. :(

Offline CrystalMist

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Colorado is sooooo pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 08:38:46 PM »
Well, first off, they most definitely over-reacted. I mean, yeah, sometimes it's ridiculous, but you have to keep up with times. I mean, do kids really want toys that aren't so high quality? I mean, not everybody was a fan of FiM at first, but the animation grew on you, right?? And yeah, they shouldn't have made EG dolls. But everybody knows that Barbie has always been the perfect girl. And kids are NOT as creative as they used to be. And a while ago, toys were supposed to be realistic. now they are supposed to be cartoony and cutesie, and they do have a reason to define the girls from the boys. You know, I completely agree with this:

Every time something new comes out aimed at girls, we have the conservative groups who believe it will turn our daughters into promiscuous women.  Children are molded by their parents, not Clawdeen Wolf or Rainbow Dash.  My daughters see these dolls as pretty girls with cool clothes, not as what they aspire to be when they grow up.  My job as their mother is to keep them on the straight and narrow; to grow up with dreams and ambitions.  If they turn out poorly, that's on me not Hasbro. 

And it's basically true. And the EG doll line goes after Monster High shoppers. It was a good idea, but you don't have to like them. You can't tell me that every single young girl in the world who plays with dolls is self-centered. I mean, I played with dolls, I still play with dolls, and I turned out fine. Mostly lol. OK, I'll stop complaining, I just think that that was ridiculous.  :stressed:
I'm always looking for a Blythe accessories. PM me for any info!cloud_weaver is the best sister ever!!! :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal