collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: COSMIC COUTURE - A Rainbow High Fan-Project  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
COSMIC COUTURE - A Rainbow High Fan-Project
« on: April 04, 2023, 06:21:44 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

To everyone, I present… COSMIC COUTURE! 🪐

💫 Rainbow High’s prestigious elective program, known for accepting only the best of the best and responsible for the creation of some truly out of this world style! All entrants are double majors, with at least of these being fashion design but there are no limitations on the other major, as we find it allows for some truly out of the box thinking! Please welcome the cohort of 2023
💫

Please enjoy everyone! If you've been wondering why my pony art has slowed down somewhat, this is why! Cosmic Couture is my BIGGEST project to date, it took a whole SEVEN MONTHS from beginning to end and I’m very pleased with it, even though it nearly killed me haha.
I hope you guys can enjoy these cosmic characters as much as I had fun designing them!
Click on the spoilers to see their full art + details (I didn't want to make the page too difficult to load as there are a LOT of images haha) 💕

TERRA GALILEI 🌏
My very first design, the start of it all and one of my personal favourites!
Terra wound up with a sort of a recycled-grunge style, which I leaned into as I figured out her design. All of the designer pieces she wears are well over a decade old (some more like two decades lol), as it’s meant to be like she’s thrifted them over the years, but she also sports upcycled and handmade pieces, my favourite is probably her pull tab choker 😅
Spoiler

MARCHITA ARES 🐺
Marchita’s design came to me very easily – and I hope you guys can under my reasoning behind giving her a wolf cut 😅
My other favourite design aspect is her leg – it’s designed after Roman leg armour and whilst it wound up being mostly covered in her main outfit, you can check it out in whole on the details page below :)
Spoiler

DANICA VALENTINE 💕
Another character whose design fell into place super easily, the hardest part was actually figuring out the multiple layers of transparency on her pants 😅
It’s not super visible but she has a median sternotomy (open heart surgery) scar – which is kind of hinted at in her bio and ties into something I wasn’t able to fit in said bio – she and Marchita are childhood friends, having met whilst they were both in the same children’s hospital 💕
Spoiler

ARIANA SWIFT 👟
Ariana’s design actually took quite a bit of effort! She kept turning out too monochromatic and I couldn’t get her silhouette down for AGES!
Those shoes, her quote and her pose are both a reference to a certain blue blur – and in fact all of the poses for this series are references 😅
Spoiler

JUNIPER BRONTE ⚡️
I always knew I wanted Juniper to be a performing arts focus, which in turn influenced her outfit choice – I wanted something a little dramatic!
Her feather top required me to make a custom brush, as did the jacket on her second outfit, and her feathery boots 😅
Much like the god her planet is named for, Juniper is the ‘leader’ of the Cosmic Couture group (there’s not really an official’ leader but the other girls tend to look to her for guidance lol).
Spoiler

CYNTHIA ARMSTRONG 🌙
Another character I struggled with, I knew I wanted Cynthia to have a sort of cyber Y2K look but it took a while to figure out haha, the answer ended up being ‘layering’ 😅
I am WAYY too proud of the holographic look of her second pair of shoes, I did that myself! And it looks decent?!
She’s the younger sister of another of my RH OCs, Selene Armstrong, and if you can guess her inspiration you might also be able to ascertain her future romantic interest 💕
Spoiler

SOLEIL ALBA 🌞
So Soleil was actually the character I struggled with THE MOST, I seriously went through 5-6ish designs for her before I figured out what I wanted her character to be!
I would up taking influence from Helios/Apollo with their chariot = horses, so Soleil wound up being a horse girl haha, or at the very least Western influenced!
Her fringed jumpsuit also took like 3 attempts to draw…! 😅
Spoiler

SHABANA SHANI 🪐
Shabana’s design story is interesting as whilst I had an idea in mind, ‘Saturn’ is a bit hard to distill into a character, as for most people the most recognisable bit is just the rings 😅
She definitely has those down, but I also looked to astrology to influence her personality – not sure how it comes across in my attempt to convey characterisation with as many puns as possible but she’s meant to be a chill ‘older sister’-type character 😅
(Also point to anyone who knows why I included those glasses!)
Spoiler

NARELLE GALATEA 🌊
I was probably looking forward to designing Narelle the most, as I love working with ocean motifs! She also has one of my favourite makeup looks out of the girls 😅
Her personality wasn’t something I thought of straight away, but I eventually went with the sort of beach-bum chill type persona. I also took inspiration from Sailor Moon’s DiC dub, and made her and Cordelia cousins – not ‘cousins’ but actually related (their mothers’ are sisters) as a fun reference 😅
Spoiler

CORDELIA HERSCHEL
Right from the get-go, Cordelia had the most obvious motif/s, what with Uranus being a sky god, so I quickly filled up a mood board for her 😅
She’s one of the most monochromatic characters in the lineup, but I think it suits her personality, she’s eccentric like that 😅
Also despite her hair style looking deceptively simple, it took like FIVE attempts to get it right…!
Spoiler

VENETIA CHARON 💀
Lucky last, Venetia! Ironically, I actually somehow FORGOT to do Pluto when I was at the concept art stage, it was only when I was drawing their FINAL art that I realised she was missing! 🤦‍♀️
I didn’t forget her at the moodboard stage though, so I went and designed Venetia super late into production 😅
Nonetheless she turned out as one of my favourites, which might be due to all of the sparkle on her but also other elements I thought would be pretty cool references like her three-headed dog bag and pomegranate aril (seed) earrings 💕
Spoiler

🪐 I hope you enjoy this series! 🪐

I finally found my grail! :heart:

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: COSMIC COUTURE - A Rainbow High Fan-Project
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 09:37:59 PM »
Wow, these are amazing, great job! I would definitely buy some of these if they were real dolls!

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 10:43:08 AM »
I cannnot overstate how much I wish these were actual dolls. I love the planet theme, and everybody is very on theme indeed! I especially like Cordelia and her vest and beret. So cute!! Same with Arinana's glasses/goggles and blue shoes!
Are we sure you don't secretly work for MGA Entertainment?
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 03:12:32 PM »
So good! I love all of them.  You would make a very talented fashion designer.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 06:16:53 PM »
Wow, these are amazing, great job! I would definitely buy some of these if they were real dolls!

Aww haha thankyou so much! :heart:

I cannnot overstate how much I wish these were actual dolls. I love the planet theme, and everybody is very on theme indeed! I especially like Cordelia and her vest and beret. So cute!! Same with Arinana's glasses/goggles and blue shoes!
Are we sure you don't secretly work for MGA Entertainment?

Ahh thankyou so much! I'm so glad you enjoy my work! :blush:
Considering MGA seems to have it out for me (they have had my Instagram account banned before) sadly I'd say no but I would love to work as a toy designer one day!

So good! I love all of them.  You would make a very talented fashion designer.

Aww thankyou so much! :heart: Ahh that truly :blush: means a lot to me 

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 07:54:47 AM »
These are so cool! I think Jupiter is my fave. Would def buy if I saw that doll on the shell. I also really like Shabana.

I love how Rainbow high pulls fashion aesthetics from real looks. They're like hidden Easter eggs. I couldn't believe there were even some 90's references like from Clueless or Brittany Spears.

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2023, 07:14:43 PM »
These are so cool! I think Jupiter is my fave. Would def buy if I saw that doll on the shell. I also really like Shabana.

I love how Rainbow high pulls fashion aesthetics from real looks. They're like hidden Easter eggs. I couldn't believe there were even some 90's references like from Clueless or Brittany Spears.

Aww haha thankyou so much aaa :heart:
Yes, that's one of my favourite parts about RH too, and it's something I really enjoyed doing with these design too!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal