collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where to find list of rare Ponies?  (Read 450 times)

Katai

• Trade Count: (0)
Where to find list of rare Ponies?
« on: June 22, 2014, 09:23:05 AM »
I've been trying for the life of me to find a list online to reference of rare/HTF/Sought after ponies from all gens.

G1 more specifically than others but all gens would be nice too. WITH FREAKIN PICTURES. XD

Anyone know of such a place?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Where to find list of rare Ponies?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 10:03:45 AM »
StrawberryReef.com has a list for G3. Although some of the ponies on it while perhaps harder to find are not as sought after or anywhere near as valuable as they used to be.

G2 is pretty much anything after year 2 :P The later in the line the harder to find each and every pony becomes.

G1; I dont know of any online list. There is normally always a thread on this floating around the Corral on the subject somewhere and I remember one recently.

G1s especially can be hard to class. What some people consider rare others may not. On threads like the one mentioned you always have someone who can pop up and have had a half dozen in their collection of a pony which others claim is rare. It can also depend where in the world you are as well as how sought after a pony is. Snowflake and Gypsy are in the same set however very few people will tell you Snowflake is a rare pony but Gypsy may be offered up. They tend to pop up for sale in similar numbers; its just that Gypsy is more sought after. The same with Mimic and Quackers; people will say the former is rare but seldom suggest Quackers - again even though they exist for sale in similar quantities. US members will say that some of the Euro sets or Euro exclusives are rare; but in Europe some of these ponies pop up for sale more often than US ponies which we did not get over here in the 80s. Even some Nirvanas are easier to track down than their US counterparts.

All in I think the best option is to say the majority of US Mail Orders, popular Euro sets like the Mountain Boys, Jewellery Babies, Seaside Babies, Sweetie Babies, Newborn Surprise Babies, sought after country specific sets such as Regenbogen and Baby Sets [Baby Buttons, etc] and year 3 Sea Ponies then occasional ponies such as Mimic, Bright Eyes, Red Roses, Diamond Dreams, Lemon Treats, Mint Dreams, Princess Taffeta, Munchy, TAF Buttons, Crumpet, Angel and SS Twilight cover most things.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Katai

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 03:01:49 PM »
I found some G1 gals recently, a whole fleet of them at goodwill. Some are in very good condition and just need a light bath, good hair too! I even found some wonderful ones at the flea market recently. Thing is I sometimes have to pick and choose and I'd kick myself for leaving a good one behind if I didn't have a list or pics to reference quickly T_T

Post Merge: June 22, 2014, 03:21:42 PM

Wow and in my searching I realized I had a mail order baby and so soft crumpet and my mother got rid of them without my permission!!! grrr!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 03:21:42 PM by Katai »

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 03:31:54 PM »
I make reference sheets for my phone, by copying website info that I want into a word document, then creating a PDF file, which I can have open on my phone when I pony hunt. It's only for my own personal use, so I'm not breaking any rules or distributing anyone else's pictures, but I can quickly see what I'm looking at. I categorize it by colour, and then by alphabetical order, so if I don't know it's name, I can ID it, and if I do, I can still find it pretty easily. I know G1 and G4 pretty comprehensively (excluding nirvanas, but I know one if I see one, which is rare here in the wild), so I don't have one for them, but I do have them for G2, G3 and G4 Blind Bags. Any HTF/rare ponies are bolded, and I have a price guide for those ponies on my phone as well, so I can make fair offers on things. It works for me, anyway!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 02:52:40 PM »
I found some G1 gals recently, a whole fleet of them at goodwill. Some are in very good condition and just need a light bath, good hair too! I even found some wonderful ones at the flea market recently. Thing is I sometimes have to pick and choose and I'd kick myself for leaving a good one behind if I didn't have a list or pics to reference quickly T_T

Wow and in my searching I realized I had a mail order baby and so soft crumpet and my mother got rid of them without my permission!!! grrr!!

You can always just post a picture or a list of the ponies you find here and people will be quick to help you out with value or spotting out some rarities :)
Loa is my love god!

Katai

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 06:51:33 PM »

You can always just post a picture or a list of the ponies you find here and people will be quick to help you out with value or spotting out some rarities :)

I meant something that I can have while out and hunting thats a quick reference :3

brittney_rochelle

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 08:34:01 PM »
Strawberryreef has some G1s posted. Of course, there is the my little wiki too.

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 08:46:09 PM »
All in I think the best option is to say the majority of US Mail Orders, popular Euro sets like the Mountain Boys, Jewellery Babies, Seaside Babies, Sweetie Babies, Newborn Surprise Babies, sought after country specific sets such as Regenbogen and Baby Sets [Baby Buttons, etc] and year 3 Sea Ponies then occasional ponies such as Mimic, Bright Eyes, Red Roses, Diamond Dreams, Lemon Treats, Mint Dreams, Princess Taffeta, Munchy, TAF Buttons, Crumpet, Angel and SS Twilight cover most things.

This looks good to me! Yes, I would second that "rare" and "sought after" are different things, but which is which for any pony is a matter of debate. I would say everyone would agree that a set like the Year 3 Sea Ponies is truly RARE--they very seldom come up, especially with their shells. They are also highly sought after, which adds to their rarity.

I would say that some of the MO ponies which are in reality very very rare--like pink Sprinkles and non-BBE Half Note--have, at least through much of my collecting experience, not been especially sought after.
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »

I meant something that I can have while out and hunting thats a quick reference :3

That should make it a little easier then. Although its not unheard of for ponies to turn up out of release country of course, most sought after ponies unfortunately tend to have been released outside the US. If you familiarise yourself with the mail order releases which pretty much only the US got, then you have a head start on the rarest you may come across when hunting. Other than that the individual ponies previously listed in addition to the Big Brothers [although not rare they are always popular] are who you should keep a look out for.
Loa is my love god!

Offline MoondancerMilkyWay

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • you've got to pony while the pony is pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 12:16:40 PM »
I am the lucky owner recently of a pamphlet that advertised the 6 TAF babies....only $5.25 each or $22 for all 6 - without horse shoe points!
can I *please* go back in time and get a few hundred sets of TAF babies?
~I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies! I gotta have more ponies!~
"I'm not going to buy every Malibu Stacy with a hat"  - ponyqueen

Katai

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »
Thanks all!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal