collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Opinion: De-flocking a so soft pony  (Read 238 times)

Offline Nienor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
Opinion: De-flocking a so soft pony
« on: March 24, 2023, 08:50:50 AM »
Trying to de-flock a so soft pony (Ribbon), and I managed to remove all the fluff with acetone, but there is still glue residue left. Any suggestions on how to remove it? I've seen other using sugar soap, vinegar, and baking soda to remove glue, so I was wondering if any of you had any experience with those? I was also thinking oxiclean, but not sure if it is safe either. Any feedback would be much appreciated.  :help:

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion: De-flocking a so soft pony
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 12:26:18 PM »
I think I used acetone-free nail polish remover when deflocking my wind whistler, and that seemed to turn out pretty well. It leaves kind of a slimy feeling behind, but with a bit of soap and water that comes off too.

I follow a blog that recommends using something called LA's Totally Awesome, but I'm not sure what the exact product is. It can apparently leave the hair pretty dry, but it can be fixed with conditioner.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 07:45:36 AM »
I know Goo Gone is good for residue like glue. The deflockings I've done were with 100% acetone and a lot of scrubbing.

Oxi clean makes the hair funky but it can washed and conditioned afterwards. I don't know how well it works on glue though.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 08:59:41 AM »
I use 91% alcohol around symbols and eyes, but still be careful.  I have had some with no problems, but then some like Taffy and Twist I did damage the eyes and symbols a wee bit.

Offline Nienor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 06:10:40 AM »
Thanks for your feedback! I am glad to say that I managed to deflock her completely, residue and all 🙂 I used nail polish remover without acetone for the eyes, blush, and cutie mark areas, which did not damage the paint at all, and acetone for the rest of the body, as it is more efficient than the non acetone and made my life easier. Of course I washed the pony thoroughly after to remove the acetone.

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 06:31:26 AM »
I deflock with a hot Oxiclean solution first. This does nothing else than loosening the glue, which can be scrubbed of manually. Then for the glue residues pure Acetone for the body and nail polish without acetone for the markings.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal