collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Family and Dolls  (Read 717 times)

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
Family and Dolls
« on: November 15, 2012, 07:18:06 PM »
So I would never in a million years tell my dad or sister how much my dolls cost (especially now that I am looking at BJDs).  But my mom has always loved dolls and she really likes my anthro BJD, Lutra.  When I got my newest girl, I had to show her!  Tonight, we had dinner and some wine and afterwards I showed her pictures of different dolls that I liked.  She is totally fascinated (and didn't even flinch when I showed her Beyla and mentioned her price tag) and was even talking to me about which one she would want if she got one!  She fell in love with the little PukiFees, so I might start setting a little bit of money aside every paycheck and try to get her one for her birthday or something.  Just so I can play dollies with someone!

So not only does my mom not disapprove of my dolls, I think she might eventually want to have a BJD or two of her own!  Bahaha!  It is contagious.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Family and Dolls
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:19:51 PM »
My mom likes to talk about the Dawn Dolls she collected when she was little. :D
And she's facinated a bit by my dolls.

Though my dad seemed super interested in my Monster High dolls actually. I was surprised. I think he was just amused that they were based off of monsters.

My sister, I think she wants one.

And my fiancee is weirded out by it.

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »
Aww that is so awesome!! My hubby supports my dolly habit. Even my in laws are supportive. My father in law even bought me two dolls recently.

My mom gives me a hard time about price so I try not ro mention price around her. Exspecially my MSD BJD or my pullips. The Monster High girls aren't to bad on price so they are ok to talk about.

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 07:29:06 PM »
My mom really liked Ghouls Rule Draculaura when we were shopping in K-mart one time. I bought it just on that.. lol

I like when my parents take interest in my collecting. It doesn't happen very often though.  >_<

My sister however really liked the BJD that I showed her. And didn't think the price was too scary. She generally is very supportive of my collecting and even buys me things. Don't know what I'd do without her.

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline crazykimochi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Destination: Beautiful
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 07:38:22 PM »
I got my little sister into dolls! Started from Pullips and now that we're both uninterested in Pullips, BJDs!

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 08:05:09 PM »
Yeah, my husband thinks my dolls are creepy.  But he tolerates them.  He also doesn't know how much they cost and I think I'll keep it that way TBH.

I got my little sister into dolls! Started from Pullips and now that we're both uninterested in Pullips, BJDs!

Yeah, I find now that I have a couple BJDs, my Pullips just don't really pull me like they used to.  It makes me feel so guilty!  I think I'll take some new pics of them again and see if that helps me rebond.  Because I'm not ready to rehome them yet, but the thought did cross my mind.  *feels like a horrible person*

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »
My mom justbsees it as a healthy collection and doesn't mind. She didn't even get mad when I spent four hundred bucks on a porcelain doll when I thought she would freak. The rest of my family, however, thinks I'm too old for dolls and ponies. Even though I think my brother got me a doll for christmas, haha!

Offline Akemi-chan

• Matcha-flavored Teeny Tiny
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+147)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Baby Pony Addict
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 08:32:35 PM »
Yeah, my husband thinks my dolls are creepy.  But he tolerates them.  He also doesn't know how much they cost and I think I'll keep it that way TBH.

Yeah, I find now that I have a couple BJDs, my Pullips just don't really pull me like they used to.  It makes me feel so guilty!  I think I'll take some new pics of them again and see if that helps me rebond.  Because I'm not ready to rehome them yet, but the thought did cross my mind.  *feels like a horrible person*

That's how I got started too!  It actually started with MH, then to Pullips, then BJDs.  I realize I love BJD's because of the range of motion they have, but I also love the stock on some Pullips, so I mainly collect Pullips to keep in as is, and BJD's are my "play" dolls (dressing them up, taking pics, etc.)

Zenna, that is sooooo cool about your mom getting into BJDs!  My mom would completely flip if I ever told her the price of one, which is ironic because my mother-in-law totally supports them! 

Have you fan-girled today, [you]?
*For Sale or Trade*
*Wishlist*

Offline ZennaBug

• View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 09:26:20 PM »
Yeah, my mom totally wants a Puki Puki now!  Of all the dolls I showed her, she thought that the Volks SD16 Kira was prettiest (go figure, she has expensive taste lol).  But when she saw Pukis, she fell in love.  I think she likes them best because they're so small, so she figures that it could live on her nightstand.  XD

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 10:23:17 PM »
My mom has always loved dolls and has collected them her whole life, so I think for me it's genetic! :D I feel really lucky to have a doll-loving mom because I can still go dolly shopping with her like I did when I was little and we still squee together over things :heart: Or I can show her pics of new MH stuff and she gets excited too. She used to think MH was creepy but now she loves them and has a Ghoulia of her own :heart:

Only a couple of my friends know about/have seen my MH and Disney doll collections. They both think they're cute and love the little details, but they both go  :blink: when they realize just how many I have... Ah well, they still love me (I think) XD
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 05:42:13 AM »
I collected Himstedt dolls for a while and they are soooo expensive trust me.  Mom has two and I have like 6 of them. I have never kept the price of things from my family, we collect together...now things are a little tougher though money wise.  I haven't bought a doll in a while.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 11:25:38 AM »
My family has always thought I'm crazy concerning my collections so my collecting dolls is no different than ponies in their eyes! XD I don't hollar too much about the prices either, though. hee hee

Zenzen, your Mom is cool! :cool:

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 02:16:11 PM »
your mom has amazing taste! PukiFees are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bloody cute!! there are several that I want

Offline Private_Bubbles

• Scribbles Pony
  • I'm Bubbles, Private Bubbles.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 06:23:05 PM »
My mum got me my Elfkin for my birthday and now she's in love with her. She's ok with my collections, she says that some people collect stamps but I collect ponies and dolls.

Offline Flaileigh

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 09:08:34 PM »
My Mom enjoys being there when I have a box opening. She almost gets as excited as I do, especially if I get a vampire doll. (She collects vampire movies 'n stuff) She has a favorite BJD, and that's my little Dollzone petdoll fox. We pretty much have a deal that we don't talk about prices, because then I'd have to bring up how much she spends on jewelry and purses. (We both keep the prices a secret from Dad)  :biggrin:

My Dad doesn't like any of my hobbies, but tolerates it because he really doesn't have a choice. He was mildly interested when my Atari 2600 arrived the other week. I guess he had flashbacks to the 70's.  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal