collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does anyone care about G2 ?  (Read 9544 times)

Offline StarZetRaven

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Your average G2 collector
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone care about G2 ?
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2018, 04:00:38 AM »
I love g2, they're my fav generation :) I have about 200 g2s I think.
ladywaterfall.tumblr.com

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2018, 12:32:13 PM »
They only re-released Clever Clover once? Not counting Prince Fauna.
I believe one of the Slide twins is a boy too (the pink one I think) :)

Baby Sunshine, yep! Too cute <3 Gahh all the G2 boys are adorable!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2018, 12:36:52 PM »

I was counting the Prince...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2018, 02:54:20 AM »

I was counting the Prince...

Fair enough :P

Copper Glow and Junior are males in my herd as well ^^

Offline Moonstar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Prancing On Air
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2018, 09:03:04 AM »
I really like G2, sadly my love was cut short by only the first couple sets being put out in the US and then..nothing ;.; That is the reason why many G2s are still brand new to me after all these years. G2s from around the world I've found have been marked up a lot on ebay, at least the ones I've been hunting for years now. They're not even that rare from what I can tell...

"The Rainbow of Light belongs here, with the Little Ponies."

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2018, 01:45:48 AM »
The lack of new characters really killed the line, from my admittedly narrow and consumer based view.
I remember going to Toys R' Us repeatedly looking for new ponies, only to be greeted with the same rack after rack of Sundance and Ivy Magic Motions, for months and months and months.  Also tons of the early playsets - the bed with Lightheart and the terribly designed Garden Case.

Never even saw the 98' singles (Cupcake, Sugar Belle, Secret Tale, Wingsong). No idea if they even made it to Canadian stores - I can't imagine that the retailers were all too keen on ordering the second offering when the first bombed so badly. We did get some of year 2 - the Sunny Garden Friends two packs (with recycled characters, bleh) and the Pretty Parlour were also shelf-warmers.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2018, 02:51:09 AM »
I think Hasbro's mistake with G2 in the US and perhaps Canada was probably to take that approach...to be repetitive at the start. G3 got repetitive at the end, albeit there were some ponies that had multiple releases throughout. Most of the variety in G2 came about later. I remember how excited people got online over Silverswirl coming out, the first unicorn pony. I don't know if Silverswirl got to the US or Canada, but I kind of have this feeling she didn't? I just remember it being a big deal thing.

Because I got so many from France my memory of G2 is warped in terms of what was here and what wasn't. But I've seen on ebay and found here some of the G2 I didn't think we had, so apparently we either did have them or people took advantage of travelling to Europe and did what I did.

But although there are some characters that you see over and over, they still sort of change. Light Heart for example, she changes her name as well I think halfway through? Albeit some of the name changes seem to be because of releases in Europe (like Sky Skimmer becoming Butterfly, maybe because she's Papillon in French?)

I do remember Princesses coming out here (Silver Swirl's set I guess? Trixiebelle and Crystal and Twinkle Star and so on?) I have this strong feeling that they were the first ones not sold in the US/Canada? But I also remmeber that Wing Song was hard to find here for some reason. Cupcake and Sugarbelle were pretty easy and I think so was Secret Tale, but for some reason Wing Song was more obscure O.o.

And I genuinely don't think we had the set with Junior in. Not sure about Flash, either - my sister's came from France and I had forgotten she even had her, but the notes with her accessories say 'Miss Roller' so that means she must have come from Paris. I feel like there was a sporadic availability of ponies from the 2000 and 2001 line in the UK. I don't know how true that is, but it was the impression I had.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Moonstar

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Prancing On Air
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2018, 08:01:15 AM »
The lack of new characters really killed the line, from my admittedly narrow and consumer based view.
I remember going to Toys R' Us repeatedly looking for new ponies, only to be greeted with the same rack after rack of Sundance and Ivy Magic Motions, for months and months and months.  Also tons of the early playsets - the bed with Lightheart and the terribly designed Garden Case.

Never even saw the 98' singles (Cupcake, Sugar Belle, Secret Tale, Wingsong). No idea if they even made it to Canadian stores - I can't imagine that the retailers were all too keen on ordering the second offering when the first bombed so badly. We did get some of year 2 - the Sunny Garden Friends two packs (with recycled characters, bleh) and the Pretty Parlour were also shelf-warmers.
Yup we never got the singles, let alone any unicorns or the like, it was just the first set, the Magic Motions, the McD's ponies and then poof! they were all gone from the US after 1998. My tiny town actually gave up on them after  less than a month after Magic Motions were out, the only shop that had them was my drug store and they pulled them to make room for something else

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2018, 08:06:32 AM »
Oof :( I didn't know it was that bad. I think the Netherlands had it covered fairly well. We had at least the Magicians and all. I think we missed out on the Castle, the sailboat and the Mansion (not sure about the carriage). The last ones in the stores were the Fantasy Hair ponies from 2002 (as far as I recall). But then again... I wasn't collecting yet at that time.

BUT we didn't have the Mail Order offer >.>

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2018, 08:16:12 AM »
Yeah, I think it might have been successful in the US if the G2 princesses were sold in the first year.

Also the Garden Case was truly a lazy, lackluster 'playset'.  They could have at least included a pony with it for the cost, and had more accessories.  The accessories it did come with were weird.  "And here are . . . some hooks! And a GATE."   Hasbro my dude, you are selling My Little Ponies, not real estate.  Put in hair accessories, hats, or wearable items.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2018, 04:30:49 PM »
*laughs* Yes indeed, 'Here have a random giant butterfly and some other stuff in one boring colour'.  The carry case was incredibly awful - it didn't latch well, and the rainbows (from other pony/sets) didn't even fit on the gates!  It was huge and not even very interesting to play with - you'd get better mileage out of most cardboard boxes.

Distribution up here was absolutely lack-luster.  There was one initial wave of the first singles (Berry Bright, Clever Clover, etc.) and then ... Magic Motion Ivy/Sundance, and nothing else, for a long time.  The Magic Motions are fine, but nobody is going to buy more than one each?  What were they thinking?  :throw:
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2018, 04:36:54 PM »
Thinking back I think we had the Glow sisters. Copper/Silver/Golden. Because mine are not in French packaging and I didn't buy any G2 online. I only had a friend send for Sea Breeze for me.

And maybe we had the wedding couple type ones. Also maybe the ones that...did they have music or something? Golden Light and...? I had them but sold them, I am pretty sure about that, but still have Morning Glory and whatsit set.

We had three sets of twins from France. Actually I think that was a gift from a Dutch friend so I don't remember if we had twins in the UK at all.

We had the mother and baby sets as I have one in French packing with a UK price label on it.

So I guess we were roughly the same as the Netherlands except that distribution got spotty and not all areas/stores had everything. I picked up Jazzy and Rocky second hand but don't remember seeing them in stores in my locale.

I feel like I should have kept better records of this :( I do have a couple of inserts but *shrug*.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2018, 04:41:25 PM »
I'm from Europe, growing in Belgium and living in France now... and G2 are the ponies I has as a child!
I SO love them! Also, I'm chocked to read you all about their repetitive characters, as they are many, many different G2. I wouldn't be surprised there's more different G2 than G4! (in toys of course)
I've got only a few of them, but they aren't rare at all, every time I found fleamarket/thrift shop ponies, it's G2.
So I bet it's only a difference of country, it's seems to be a gap between Europe and USA about them.

Also, I'm sad about the fact Hasbro decided to ban them form it's history.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 04:43:07 PM by ColdRuru »

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Moonstar

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Prancing On Air
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2018, 06:12:12 PM »
I'm sure if we had gotten some of the more jazzy ponies like the Glows and Hip Holly it might have helped, it's weird that they went right to an even smaller than core seven idea. I mean since G1 had only been gone a handful of years at the time and sold well having lots of different G2s to pick from should have been a good idea I think...(Then again we didn't get the G1 Tales ponies in the US even when the cartoon did well so who knows, maybe they thought we were brunt out? :\)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal