collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Riddle me this?  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Riddle me this?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 10:09:27 PM »
I have no explanation for the difference, but I'd definitely keep the one on the right. :) But then again, I can't stand yellowing.

Lol - I'm not a fan, either!

How lucky are you with two beautiful Satin n Lace ponies!  They both look lovely and I can cast no further advice about their differences than those above me already have - so I will just say, if you have to keep only one, let it be the girl on the right :lovey:

:biggrin: :biggrin:  Yeah... I'm leaning towards keeping the pinker girl. It's still so hard!! If they weren't so different I think I'd be much sharper in my decision  :P

Didn't Satin n' Lace actually come in two colors? Or am I thinking of someone else  :blink:

Hmmmm... well, she did come in three versions, all Mail Order. The first was the lavender, then the SS and the Magenta girl :) I don't think there was any other deliberate colour variation of each individual release.

I would say that maybe they were the results of two separate batches, resulting in pigment differences. You know how sometimes ponies have heads and bodies with two different colors? I would say this may be the same kind of scenario.

I'm glad you think so because I really do think this must be the case too (with the exception that my original girl does have a little yellowing to her glue). The vinyls are definitely different. Could be the way they've aged, but that could be to do with the batches, too?

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 10:47:41 PM »
Perhaps one is made in China and one Hong Kong?  Some of the MO ponies from the same time frame came from both. You could try getting their feet wet and seeing if you can make out if there are 2 lines of text or 3 (i doubt youll be able to read the location)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 12:34:45 PM »
That's an interesting thought, lunar_scythe! Out of curiosity I put it to the test when I finally got around to giving pinker girl a little clean yesterday. Unfortunately you can see nought through that flocking!  :lol:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 09:09:28 PM »
Didn't Satin n' Lace actually come in two colors? Or am I thinking of someone else  :blink:

She did, but in the unflocked regular version.

I think it's batch. I am pretty sure there were more than one batch of this pony.

If you can afford to, I would keep both. But if you are pushed, I'd make a list of the flaws and positives of each and see how that comes up. It will help you decide what is more important for your collection pony to be like :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 10:28:22 PM »
I'm new but I can think of no explanation for aging of any sort to explain the difference.  In my opinion, it is an original difference.

I always keep any variation unless someone is pointing a gun at me, in which case the choice is which one to hide behind cuz they're still not getting one without shooting first.

So I'd keep both.

You might be able to read the feet better by backlighting them....maybe try curling your finger around a hoof to block light coming to your eye except through the pony, and holding it up to a strong light...like "candling" an egg.  Should be able to get one angle or another that gives the writing some contrast that shows through.  Maybe.  I haven't tried it and have no so-soft handy to try.

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 12:11:52 PM »
If you can afford to, I would keep both. But if you are pushed, I'd make a list of the flaws and positives of each and see how that comes up. It will help you decide what is more important for your collection pony to be like :)

So I'd keep both.

Yesterday I photographed my original girl for for sales pic.... I had decided to keep the pinker one. I don't need two, I told myself....

But her little face was looking up at me... I remember how excited I was when I got her... I mean, c'mon!! It's So Soft Satin n Lace!!! And she is SO different to pinky girl (the photos just don't do the contrast justice)...

So yeah... SHE'S STAYING!!  :lol: :lol:  They both owe me a fraction of their worth, both are so interesting in their own right, and I can afford to keep both. So decision made!  ;)

Thanks everyone  :grouphug:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 03:16:10 PM »
Satin 'n Lace was initially offered as a So-Soft (before Tux 'n Tails / Coat 'n Tails existed).  Was she ever sold as a So-Soft again?  Or were all the later versions NSS?

If she was offered twice as a So-Soft, it could be a difference of timing.  Otherwise I'd say it's a batch variation.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 03:34:17 PM »
Darn it, I meant to say sell one to me.

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 08:19:44 PM »
If she was offered twice as a So-Soft, it could be a difference of timing.

That's an interesting thought! I'm not sure of the when and how of the releases, but that could also be linked to the batch variation?

Darn it, I meant to say sell one to me.

Lol!! :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal