collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Generic vs name brand weigh in!  (Read 5494 times)

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Generic vs name brand weigh in!
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
Oooh, just remembered another one. I only eat Kraft mac'n'cheese.

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
Root Beer must be brandname.  Off brand root beer is terrible :P

Which brand do you drink, or does it not matter?

I drink IBC and I can tell the difference between it and other root beers. Now I can't drink the others.

The only soda (besides IBC) I'll drink is Pepsi. Not Pepsi products, just Pepsi. No off-brand, no name brand, just Pepsi.

It all depends on the product. I buy name brand health products as well. I only buy name brand pizza (Digiorno, the mini ones), ice cream, any and all pet products, macaroni and cheese, string cheese and cereal. I won't let my childhood be ruined by off-brand cereal!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 11:32:40 PM »
I only buy Pert shampoo.  It's the only one I've found that makes my hair look clean, soft, and shiney.  I also love that it has a clean scent, not perfumy.  Name brand hamburger helper, and I have have to have name brand root beer, Barq's.  Off brand tastes nasty.  Peanut butter I'm not particular about, but then, I don't eat a lot of it. 

I also quit buying a lot of the walmart off brands since they switched over to the all white labels.  Just about everything is horrible now.  The canned veggies was more stalks than actual veggies.
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 12:26:13 AM »
I also quit buying a lot of the walmart off brands since they switched over to the all white labels.  Just about everything is horrible now.  The canned veggies was more stalks than actual veggies.

Isn't it terrible? I bought a couple cans of Wal-Mart black eyed peas, and there was nothing in them but water.

I only buy Del Monte now.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Yuitsu

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 01:16:05 AM »
If I can buy it in Poundland, I'll use it or eat it. I don't wear makeup enough to be picky about it, and now my eyeliners tattooed on I don't need to worry about that bit, which was the only brand loyalty I had.

I don't like Sainsbury Basic meals though. Even my cats will turn their noses up at those, which is probably a good indicator.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »
I dont post often on off topic so I shall give it a go? :) I have tried non brand names before I think it really has to deal with the product. I also go with whatever tastes better. Lately I did switch to a no name toliet paper.. I shall never go that route again.. its like sandpaper! Also the same with trashbags they are way too thin and they don't hold very well. So some things with no brand name aren't always better. :/

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 04:58:07 PM »
I dont post often on off topic so I shall give it a go? :) I have tried non brand names before I think it really has to deal with the product. I also go with whatever tastes better. Lately I did switch to a no name toliet paper.. I shall never go that route again.. its like sandpaper! Also the same with trashbags they are way too thin and they don't hold very well. So some things with no brand name aren't always better. :/

^ This is soo true.  I don't know if it's just the generics we have in our area but both are unbearable to use.  lol

I don't like Sainsbury Basic meals though. Even my cats will turn their noses up at those, which is probably a good indicator.

The banquet meals we have here are that way.  They cost a dollar... but they taste like they cost a dollar.   :yucky:
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

kaninchen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »
offbrand toilet paper.... eek! here in chez kaninchen we have a fairly strict rule about products and the, um, navel-to-knee district!

Bee-chan

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »
For my vitamins and minerals in pill form, I have no problem with generics.

For migraine meds, CVS's brand of Excedrin migraine. Since Excedrin STILL hasn't been brought back to the public, I had to hunt around for over the counter migraine meds that had the same ingredients, and CVS is the ONLY one I've ben able to find in stores in my area.

Peanut butter? Must must MUST be ShopRite store brand creamy style. All other peanut butters either taste too dry or too sweet, and I don't like chunks of peanuts in my peanut butter. They get stuck in my teeth.

Blended seasonings? Morton Salts Natures Seasonings.

Aside from those, I'm good with jumping from one companies products to another.

With the exception of Walmart brands. BLECH! Will NOT eat food under the Walmart label, it just never tastes right.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2012, 12:15:01 PM »
I found a flake that looked like wood in my walmart brand corn flakes once. Didn't sue but maybe should have. Never again will I buy walmart brand for any food. I'm not really all that cheap with food but I didn't think plain corn flakes would make much difference.

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2012, 12:36:19 PM »

Isn't it terrible? I bought a couple cans of Wal-Mart black eyed peas, and there was nothing in them but water.

I only buy Del Monte now.

Yep, we stick with name brand canned veggies, just watch for sales and coupons. Iused to like the WM brand spaghettios more than the named brand, but now the wm brand is watery and bland.  I sent them an email complaining about the way the qualitys gone down, but all I got was a form letter back.

Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline Ponytails

• Shenanigans Pony
  • Trade Count: (+134)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I love Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2012, 02:47:45 PM »
Name Brand musts: Oreos, Cheez-its, COCA-COLA, herbal essences shampoo, heniz ketchup, TP, garbage bags, laundry detergent (must be chemical-free), ritz crackers, POP-TARTS, Quaker granola bars

Off-brand: most sauces, dressings, tomato products, frozen veggies, cleaning supplies, plastic bags, only CVS genearic meds (ibuprofin, tylenol, naproxin s0odium, etc)

I like the Kirkland generic products from Costco a lot.  Some WM products are OK.  Target generics are generally better then most other genarics.
My G3 grail is LS Pinkie Pie MIB.  If you have her for sale or trade, I WILL pay.

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2012, 02:50:37 PM »

I like the Kirkland generic products from Costco a lot.  Some WM products are OK.  Target generics are generally better then most other genarics.

We buy a lot of the generics from Costco. The Kirkland shampoo is one of the better shampoos I know and it's vegan! I also buy Kirkland dog food.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2012, 04:52:47 PM »
Ewwww to Kellog's Pop Tarts. On the opposite scale of brands I'm loyal to is brand names I will not buy and pop tarts are one of them. I prefer toast'em brand. I also do not like Hostess cakes at all but do love Little Debbie.

Offline MsTwilight

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 09:40:33 AM »
I am a Jif peanut butter fan. (Reduced Fat is my fave!) I won't buy a generic pb but will try Skippy, Peter Pan, or Planter's if I have a coupon.

Since I've been couponing I haven't picked up many generics. I do prefer Walmart brand tuna to anything name brand. If I see just one tiny bone I am freaking out and giving it to the cats! Star Kist always has a bone in it, Great Value maybe 1 in 25.

As for health and beauty products, since I started couponing I haven't paid for much of it. I use thekrazycouponlady blog to match up sales with my coupons and most of the time I can get the store to pay me to take an item (or 20)! You can't do that with generics.  :lookround:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal