collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: getting international packages safely through US Customs  (Read 3356 times)

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
getting international packages safely through US Customs
« on: April 12, 2012, 08:50:37 PM »
Yum-yum has been nice enough to consolidate a whole lotta ponies that I've bought from various Dutch collectors over the last several months.  I'm definitely getting tracking for the package, and it's going to be expensive enough that I think it's worth insuring.  Will that mean that I'll be hit with a big ol' duty fee?  Does anyone know how this works from experience?

I actually called US Customs with my questions.  They weren't sure if there would be a duty fee for toys like this, but they seemed to think that, even if there was one, it wouldn't be insanely expensive.  Even a $50 fee wouldn't upset me tooooooo much, but I really hope it won't be more than that.

What's in this awesome package, you're wondering?  Some pretty good stuff:  MOC G2 Copper Glow, MOC G2 Prince Firefly, MOC G2 Lady Elegant, lavender Woosie, Dad Berrytown, 4 Dutch ponies, and numerous other ponies and items.  So, yeah, I definitely don't want this package to get lost or damaged.

I also asked Customs if there was anything I could do to prevent the ponies from being damaged in case the box was opened for inspection (remembering past horror stories I've heard, including the recent ones about Venezuelans).  They didn't seem to have any advice other than to file a claim against damages if they were ripped apart.  But I also asked if it would help if I wrote a note explaining that they were vintage toys and asking them not to damage the items; they said it might help.

Does anyone else have any other advice about getting international package safely though Customs?  And preferably without spending more than necessary?

And should I declare the full value of the items in case I do need to file a claim?

Thanks everyone!  And a big thanks to yum-yum for consolidating this package for me!
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
Re: getting international packages safely through US Customs
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:20:27 PM »
I usually ask that the seller declare full value just in case. I've never had to pay customs fees, but I've never bought anything overseas for more than $100. I'm sure someone else will have better advice on this. XD I did send FS :muffin: Pony declared at her full ~$200 to Sarah-Bee in the UK and she did not have to pay any customs fees, so maybe it varies sometimes?

Also listing them as "Vintage collectable horses/ponies" will probably help with the whole damaging them thing. I believe the reason the Venezuelans are so violently inspected is due to the fact that Venezuela (along with several other South American countries) has a lot of drug trafficking issues. They can smuggle drugs in just about anything so a toy that appears to still be in a box will appear like the perfect disguise for a drug dealer to someone working customs for that country.  Considering how high it's declared you may have to sign for it, not sure. I know if you are shipping within the US anything over $200 requires a signature, but maybe not for international packages?
 I honestly don't think you have too much to worry about, though. :heart:
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:23:10 PM »

Moving this to Trader Support for you :)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 03:02:35 AM »
I honestly think you have covered all your bases. :)

And I would most definitely declare full value if you already have concerns about it being damaged.  It will be the only way you can file a claim and recoup all of your money.

But I am sure it will arrive safely, it will just be the wait inbetween that stinks. 
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 05:50:21 AM »
I have never had to pay customs fees. i have bought things up to a hundred dollars from overseas before. i think you have to import ALOT before the fees kick in.
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 09:10:11 AM »
I've bought a few hundred dollars worth of ponies at a time from kmlahti before, with insurance, and have never had to pay any sort of customs fees :) So I think you're in the clear!

And should I declare the full value of the items in case I do need to file a claim?
Yes, definitely declare the full value! You're getting it "just in case" so I say prepare for the worst possible outcome. It most likely won't happen, but at least you'll have the money to replace them if something does damage them.

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 10:09:06 AM »
I'd also agree with declaring full value & mark the package as "gift". I've bought a lot of high value ponies over the last 15 years and never had any customs fees. I don't think the US has the problems that a lot of other countries have with fees on incoming packages.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 10:31:15 AM »
Yum-yum has been nice enough to consolidate a whole lotta ponies that I've bought from various Dutch collectors over the last several months.  I'm definitely getting tracking for the package, and it's going to be expensive enough that I think it's worth insuring.  Will that mean that I'll be hit with a big ol' duty fee?  Does anyone know how this works from experience?

I actually called US Customs with my questions.  They weren't sure if there would be a duty fee for toys like this, but they seemed to think that, even if there was one, it wouldn't be insanely expensive.  Even a $50 fee wouldn't upset me tooooooo much, but I really hope it won't be more than that.

What's in this awesome package, you're wondering?  Some pretty good stuff:  MOC G2 Copper Glow, MOC G2 Prince Firefly, MOC G2 Lady Elegant, lavender Woosie, Dad Berrytown, 4 Dutch ponies, and numerous other ponies and items.  So, yeah, I definitely don't want this package to get lost or damaged.

I also asked Customs if there was anything I could do to prevent the ponies from being damaged in case the box was opened for inspection (remembering past horror stories I've heard, including the recent ones about Venezuelans).  They didn't seem to have any advice other than to file a claim against damages if they were ripped apart.  But I also asked if it would help if I wrote a note explaining that they were vintage toys and asking them not to damage the items; they said it might help.

Does anyone else have any other advice about getting international package safely though Customs?  And preferably without spending more than necessary?

Thanks everyone!  And a big thanks to yum-yum for consolidating this package for me!

it is venuzelan customs that opened and damaged the packets and ponies not US customs ;)

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 06:21:10 PM »
You should be fine :)   The US does not normally charge customs fees  :good: Definitely have the full value declared though, have it tracked, and make sure Yum -yum packs it really securely as well - plenty extra tape  all around the box to seal it up and protect it from water damage/getting accidently ripped open due to rough handling and to deter people from opening it   :relaxed: 
sounds like an awesome package BTW!! :happy:   :cheer:

I did send FS :muffin: Pony declared at her full ~$200 to Sarah-Bee in the UK and she did not have to pay any customs fees, so maybe it varies sometimes?

Really?  wow :faint:  normally anything over £40 marked as a gift (and anything over £15 not marked as a gift) should get a very hefty customs fee  (plus £8 handling fee) here in the UK  :whoa:  looks like they had a biiiig fail when they let that package get through huh? :P  thats great news for you and Sarah-bee  though :)   :happy:  just be aware that you might not always be so fortunate with getting past UK customs or other European customs without your buyer paying fees (so it might help to make sure they are aware of that when they purchase high value items  ;)   ) 

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 08:11:20 PM »
Here is a link with lots of info: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/internet_purchases.xml

I think it's a possibility anywhere, if customs believes that an item might contain something dangerous, that they will inspect it-- and possibly damage it. For instance, if they believed something was stored in a MIB pony.. and they couldn't tell from x-rays.. they will open the item. Safety first. But that's very rare.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 11:00:35 PM »
Thanks for the good advice everyone!  I've been buying ponies for this package over the last 4 or 5 months, and all together they're worth about $600!!!  So, yeah, I don't want anything to go wrong.

I'll declare the full value, then.  But should I mark it as a "gift" or a "purchase"?  Does anyone know if that makes a difference?
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 04:11:22 PM »
I would definitely mark as a gift. A "purchase" may indicate that it's good bought from a business or something similar & customs may be more likely to consider opening or taxing it. A "gift" sounds like its just a package sent from one person to another... which is exactly what it is. ;)

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 06:30:41 PM »
I would say its a gift as well :)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal