Pony Talk > Off Topic

Mattel Wants You To Send Them Your Toys

<< < (3/3)

Taffeta:

--- Quote from: Wardah on May 11, 2021, 09:16:03 AM ---
--- Quote from: Taffeta on May 11, 2021, 02:13:55 AM ---So yeah. Since there's no financial incentive to this, the only ones that will be sent back are likely to be from more recent purchases that have no resale value on the second hand market.

--- End quote ---

At least no resale value currently. I can see it being a problem when the current generation grows up and realizes they want their old toys. But then again maybe they will just have new stuff aimed at them like the Basic Fun ponies and how MGA is doing Bratz and Lalaloopsy reissues later this year.

--- End quote ---

This is true, although with the speed of turnover of some modern toys from store to child to second hand market, I'm not sure they'll even remember most of these. Sad but I used to see G4s at the carboot sale which were still in stores. Regularly.

Leave a Whisper:

--- Quote from: Taffeta on May 11, 2021, 02:13:55 AM ---I guess we'll see how it pans out. If it is successful, I imagine it will have an impact on the collector market some time down the line, but probably not imminently...the stuff that would be sent back will probably be fairly recent stuff as we also live in a society where people are massively misinformed that that 5 year old toy rotting in their dog's bed is worth a fortune if they put it on ebay.

So yeah. Since there's no financial incentive to this, the only ones that will be sent back are likely to be from more recent purchases that have no resale value on the second hand market.

Sorry if that's cynical.

--- End quote ---

But the dog slobber adds to its authenticity and is worth jacking up the price!

:silly:

Twizel:
I feel like this a money-saving attempt by the company, making things from recycled plastic is probably cheaper than using new stuff. Plus, as others have said, destroying the old toys creates scarcity. My opinion may be cynical, but corporations have never proven my cynicism wrong.

I hope not a lot of people participate in this, because it won't make new toys any safer chemically, and it won't help the environment that much because - if you dig into research about recycling - only about 5-10% of plastics can be recycled anyway, and thirdly because the toys made in the 80s and 90s were such higher quality. They're never going to be made that well again, because corporations are more invested in profit than making a quality product. It doesn't matter the toy line, compare the old toys to the new - Puppy Surprise, Polly Pocket, MLP, beanies, plushes, whatever you collect. Across the board, prices have gone way up, and quality has gone way down. It breaks my heart. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version