collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New G4 pony toy designs  (Read 29788 times)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: New G4 pony toy designs
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2019, 06:56:32 AM »
I have a theory that G3.5 was a transition meant to get everyone used to less snout on the ponies because at that point, they would have already had FiM in production and knew the direction the line was going.
That's my horse theory.

? I thought G3.5 was in full swing before FiM started production. I could've sworn I saw some G3.5-style concepts for what eventually became FiM (from before Faust became involved)...
I don’t know anything about those concepts you mentioned, but FiM was in development in 2008. I believe G3.5 started in 2009.

I'm probably misremembering/getting things mixed up. I recall seeing some G3.5-styled concept art/storyboards/somesuch on a Blogspot somewhere, years ago... anyone know what I'm talking about? I did some searching but I can't for the life of me find them :s

The impression I was under is that they wanted to redesign MLP and then hit upon Faust when she came to Hasbro to pitch a Milky Way and the Galaxy Girls show; I can buy G3.5 being a filler line but I'm not sure if I believe it being a transition into G4 like some people were describing. I'll concede that y'all probably know way more about the ins and outs of how FiM came to be than I do, though ;)
This? http://kathycarrtoons.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-little-pony-character-drawings.html?m=1

Yes, that's it! These are the boards I was thinking of:
http://kathycarrtoons.blogspot.com/2010/06/blog-post_14.html

Looks like I misremembered them having any connection to G4, but it's nice to see them again anyway ^^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2019, 07:20:49 AM »
There is no way what we call G3.5 was in development after or alongside G4. Think about it... why would they make an extra reboot just to "ease" kids into the G4 style. It was simply a decision to chibify the G3s because that look was already in back then.
Hasbro experienced success with their LPS reboot so why not make ponies look that way. G3 had been on shelves for a while, the Core 7 thing was taking off... all of that was planned years before G4 was being planned.

G4 would have probably gotten replaced by G5 way sooner if it hadn't become some sort of viral sensation. And these redesigns must have been in development for longer as well.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 07:22:55 AM by Zapper »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2019, 08:47:34 AM »
There is no way what we call G3.5 was in development after or alongside G4. Think about it... why would they make an extra reboot just to "ease" kids into the G4 style. It was simply a decision to chibify the G3s because that look was already in back then.
Hasbro experienced success with their LPS reboot so why not make ponies look that way. G3 had been on shelves for a while, the Core 7 thing was taking off... all of that was planned years before G4 was being planned.

G4 would have probably gotten replaced by G5 way sooner if it hadn't become some sort of viral sensation. And these redesigns must have been in development for longer as well.

Or it might not have. Big sparkly eyed balloon head things are unfortunately popular and refuse to go away. And I do concede to your earlier point btw, I'm just tired and cranky and Faust irks me for chucking girls toons under the bus to curry favor with a trolly fanbase, for her impo awful style, and because I'm petty and am blaming her for much of the ills of modern mlp.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline PrincessKittyDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • All Ponies are Best Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2019, 09:21:52 AM »
They look so,,, cat-like which is a big oof
They also look like they have the same hard plastic that G4.5 had which I'm not a fan off
I hope G5 looks more pony like :<

:heart: Instagram is princesskittyowo! :heart:

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2019, 04:30:13 PM »
I’ve come to realize I don’t really care what animal MLPs look like so long as they look cute. G4s were very deer-like, but they were cute deer, so I like them. These things? They’re like cats, but they’re so incredibly grotesque and deformed that they look more like gremlins. If these were marketed as toy cats, they’d still be atrociously ugly.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2019, 04:37:54 PM »
I’ve come to realize I don’t really care what animal MLPs look like so long as they look cute. G4s were very deer-like, but they were cute deer, so I like them. These things? They’re like cats, but they’re so incredibly grotesque and deformed that they look more like gremlins. If these were marketed as toy cats, they’d still be atrociously ugly.
That's a good way of looking at it.   :lovey:
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2019, 05:06:02 PM »

No not really. You called a brand my little pony for 30+ years, it had better be a bloody horse.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 07, 2019, 05:46:38 AM »

No not really. You called a brand my little pony for 30+ years, it had better be a bloody horse.

I’m not saying everyone should feel this way. I’m just saying I personally don’t care. If I want realistic horse, I go to Breyer  :silly:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:55:14 AM by otocolobus_manul »
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 07, 2019, 07:48:00 AM »
I want something between super deformed cat/goat chimera and anatomically correct horse lol but more towards the horse end of things 😂😂

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2019, 10:26:31 AM »
I want something between super deformed cat/goat chimera and anatomically correct horse lol but more towards the horse end of things 😂😂

My Little Chimera is the girl toyline we never knew we needed till now.  :lol:

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 07, 2019, 10:49:58 AM »
Who ever approved these designs needs to be put in the corner of shame.

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 08, 2019, 01:50:51 AM »
If I want realistic horse, I go to Breyer  :silly:

Breyer makes these color changing bath toys that remind me so much of MLP but they still keep the horsey proportions and look super cute. They even have cutie marks.

This one is also called Luna :biggrin:

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 08, 2019, 02:35:07 AM »

Or it might not have. Big sparkly eyed balloon head things are unfortunately popular and refuse to go away. And I do concede to your earlier point btw, I'm just tired and cranky and Faust irks me for chucking girls toons under the bus to curry favor with a trolly fanbase, for her impo awful style, and because I'm petty and am blaming her for much of the ills of modern mlp.
Actually, it's Meghan McCarthy and Josh Haber you can blame for the brony pandering in FiM.  Fasut was long gone by the time the show started to really twist it to appeal more to them specifically.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #178 on: November 08, 2019, 05:35:41 AM »
I knew it! I blame Haber for a lot of stuff.
The movie has a September 24 2021 release date, so take that as you will for the relationship to the toys.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2019, 06:03:13 AM »
I have no words other than I feel really old right now to think I may be in the minority to expect My Little Pony to have toys that yeah - resemble horses

I'm voting to make that breyer line of toys what my nieces get as new .  I was so bummed they didn't do more a G3 style run of so many more different types of G4 brushables and not all the blind bag / mini-fig stuff

yeah chalk me up to cranky side today... just

those

are

not

ponies

My Little Chimera is the girl toyline we never knew we needed till now.  :lol:

:lmao:  ^^^this^^^

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal