collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Little Pony Outdid The Transformers?  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
My Little Pony Outdid The Transformers?
« on: January 16, 2016, 01:37:55 PM »
I was on Box Office Mojo looking at random figures.  I ran across this.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=hasbro.htm

My Little Pony the Movie made $100,000+ more than The Transformers Movie in 1986 dollars.  The narrative always seemed to be the MLP movie was the worse performer.   The more you know.

Ironically, this makes My Little Pony the Movie the highest grossing animated film backed by Hasbro.  And the movie likely to overtake is another My Little Pony movie.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Pony Outdid The Transformers?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 01:57:15 PM »
Interesting! I hope the new movie is awesome! I love the old movie no matter how many animation errors! Love those witches!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 06:56:04 PM »
I was on Box Office Mojo looking at random figures.  I ran across this.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=hasbro.htm

My Little Pony the Movie made $100,000+ more than The Transformers Movie in 1986 dollars.  The narrative always seemed to be the MLP movie was the worse performer.   The more you know.

Ironically, this makes My Little Pony the Movie the highest grossing animated film backed by Hasbro.  And the movie likely to overtake is another My Little Pony movie.

Wow. :cool:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 07:02:49 PM »
Interesting! I hope the new movie is awesome! I love the old movie no matter how many animation errors! Love those witches!

Love all those early MLP cartoons and the movie, haha we used to sing the songs all the time as kids!  We'd do the voices, love the Reeka and Draggle song :)  Yeah the animation errors sort of made it special in a way... it was all done by hand back in those days :)

Offline buttonso

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 07:28:32 PM »
I can believe it.. the TF animated movie was not well received by some people, kinda traumatized some of its audience what with the mass kill-off of so many beloved characters.... I like it though. And I loved the MLP movie, re-enacting it was our favorite thing to do with our ponies when my sisters and I were small.  :lol:

Offline Lore-Lei

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 11:48:50 PM »
Funniest of it all is the opening budget not even reaching half a million, while others pass way above it.

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 12:44:01 AM »
Are we just talking animated films here? Because I'm pretty sure all of the live action Transformers movies have made more than any MLP movie.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 01:43:12 AM »
We probably are.
Just leaves me to wonder how the 2017 film will turn out. I hope the script has been severely revised or rewritten completely after those atrocious original concepts were leaked.

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Offline frizzycat

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Plastic Candy
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 01:51:46 AM »
I actually thought that you were going to talk about this:

It looks like the value of pony items sold was higher than TF in 2014.

The article this is from is more about Mattel and Hasbro's acquisition of the Disney line, but it's very interesting: http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-disney-princess-hasbro/

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 07:28:36 AM »
Didn't saw the MLP movie yet, but for the tf movie it's understandable: the marketing was made around optimus's death.That's right, they advertised the movie from a tv show by showing the death of the main character of the same show...I can't understand hasbro's decisions that we made back then, and i still can't understand their decisions now.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 09:03:43 AM »
Apparently, it started with Buzz Dixon.  He was a major writer for G.I. Joe and he wanted to show the horrors of war and have a character die.  However, being a weekend afternoon cartoon meant no humans dying.  When they greenlit the G.I. Joe movie, he did get permission to kill off Duke since they were discontinuing the Duke toys.

That got the people working on Transformers thinking.  They were discontinuing Optimus Prime, so they decided they would kill Prime off.  However, Transformers targeted a younger age demographic than G.I. Joe, so they ended up traumatizing the audience with Optimus Prime's brutal demise.

Ironically, after they delayed and demoted the G.I. Joe movie to a direct to video release in 1987, Duke would be gravely injured but end up surviving.

Btw, Dixon was also brought in to consult George Arthur Bloom on the My Little Pony movie and one of his more infmaous suggestions was for Wind Whistler and North Star to be seen by a drunken Shipwreck.

I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 09:10:26 AM »
Well I do remember seeing the TF movie and crying a lot. Not at theaters mind you, I would have only been three.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 09:13:38 AM »
Well hasbro thought that killing characters because their toys weren't on the shelves anymore was a good idea...It was not.The funny thing with optimus is that in g1 he resurrected to die again, and in the japanese continuity he resurrected a second time just to die again in the same episode.It's almost a personnality trait for him to die and resurrect.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 10:07:05 AM »
I think Transformers did worse because it had a PG rating, which may have caused the parents of younger TF fans to steer clear.  Transformers: The Movie is still a much better film IMO.  It may not have done well financially, but at least it was ambitious and had great animation.

Jorgito, I just watched that Japanese Headmasters episode last night!  It was the bad English dub where Spike is "Sparkle" and Rodimus is "Roadimus".
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 11:56:58 AM »
The Transformers Movie was where they spent the money, probably expecting it to be their big hit of the year.

The My Little Pony movie suffered from a poor budget, rushed production schedule, terrible villains, refusal to concentrate an any ponies as protagonists, vanilla script, and worst of all Baby Lickety-Split.  Tell me why Sarah Partridge had more speaking lines than Tony Randal and Danny DeVito combined and yet had a lower billing than the man who made constipation groans for the smooze.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal