collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Color changing star catcher...help  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
Color changing star catcher...help
« on: May 13, 2016, 03:56:38 PM »
So I finally got my color changing star catcher. She was my simple Grail. I know she is prone to holding the pink coloration...Mine has that. I am a simple collector that just enjoys ponies so she is an awesome find for me. She needs some cleaning.

Can I use the Mr Clean magic eraser stuff on her?
Any suggestions to clean her?

Pure random question...if I stick her. In the freezer will she change color....hahahaha. I knew there might be a lost cause to her changing, but I will try what I can.

Any and all suggestions are welcome:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Color changing star catcher...help
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 04:00:59 PM »
I think that one changes pink when she's cold, so maybe try a warm bath to see if that reverses her color change.  I found one at a thrift shop that was pink and when I went to wash it, it turned white again.  At the time I didn't realize that it was supposed to do that.  You can imagine my surprise.   :lol:

As far as using a magic eraser goes, I don't know that I would until you know for sure that all the color change stuff is really off of it.

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 06:34:26 PM »
Hmmm warm bath...there is an idea. I would,love to keep her ability to color change but not sure if that is even possible.

Thanks so far for the help.
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 07:27:28 PM »
I think I remember someone saying that if you use Magic eraser on color changing Star Catcher that it takes off the coating that causes her to change and she'll be stuck in one color.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 07:31:46 PM »
Checked out some back posts. Baby wipes were the main focus. Anyone use them and can confirm? I did see her instructions on sight and they said you could put her inside the freeze for a short time. I did like 2 min and saw some color change. She has a lot of coating gone or not working. I saw no blue on her. I will be gentle as even damaged having a piece of operable color change is great to me.

Any tips are still welcomed.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 01:10:41 AM »
I just fell in love with the soft-winged regular size Star Catcher and went shopping on eBay and found my FS which arrived today.  Its pink (and blue on the legs) is all scarred up and she (someone told me star catcher is a boy? time for a dress then....) has a lot of other marks too etc.  I bought him/her thinking that it was a child-applied paint job (for some reason I am a real sucker for the well-loved things that have been done to these toys; I don't really know why but that's how it is for me) and when I got the padded mailer with a huge pony inside today I knew which one it had to be!  When I opened it I was dismayed to find it was not pink so I took a few pictures and because she (sorry him?)was stinky filthy I threw some laundry detergent into a bucket and filled it up with water from the hose and dropped the big pony in.  When I got back from Walmart I found her to be pink on the half sticking out of the water and thought it was some sort of color-change paint and assumed it was due to the light....having been in a package and all, and the side facing up took on color....I took pics then turned her over to soak the other side and found later that she's pink all over again, in fact darker than the eBay pictures showed.  Then I read my response from my friend WingsofMasquerade who told me about this particular pony and suggested I freeze it which apparently sometimes resets the color, and gave me the link to this thread.

Knowing the pink isn't child-applied (and it's all scratched up anyway) means I don't particularly care if the color change ability survives so if there is something that could risk its function that you want me to try on it instead of risking yours I'd be willing to give it a shot.  Also I think I will pull it out of the soap and scrub it up (with some cleanser and a toothbrush and conditioner on the hair) tonight and throw it in the freezer overnight as suggested and see what happens in the morning.  If I learn anything that I think might be of use I'll post it here.

Meanwhile is Star Catcher really a boy?  How can you tell on G3s anyway?  I just bought a glass diamond bracelet at Walmart for him/her to wear as a collar....if it turns out he's a boy he's going to get a custom dress as close to Big Mac's Brotherhooves Social outfit as I can manage to make, haha.  Oh....boy ponies in dresses...maybe that's why the face is red, tee hee.  I put my Fire Chief in a regular purple dress with white polka dots and eyelet trim....am thinking about making a nice girly sunhat for him to wear (I'm thinking straw) because I may never find a fire helmet without spending enough to ship it on the space shuttle.  Sorry about the off-topic rant on your thread but I just can't resist since I am posting something on topic anyway...

But feel free to ask me to experiment with something that might damage the pink and I'll let you know how it turns out.  Is yours blue on the legs?

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 06:44:00 AM »
Yeah kinder spirit on played with ponies....there is just something about a pony that shows the wear of child who loved the toy:)

Hmm I have not read that star catcher is a boy....I assume Ed a girl but I could be way off....most of the time my ponies took on genders that I thought was correct for them. So I have a lot of boys who I think are girls and girls I think our buoys in my heard.

No worries on testing. I am going to lightly give her a bath and put conditionar in her hair. I will see what happens from there. I hope to keep the color change, but I will still love her if it's not there. As for legs I get a splotchy patch of blue...it's very faint. I might time her in the freezer again. They said 5min..so I am going to go for 4 and see if I get some blue.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 08:14:33 AM »
Star Catcher was a girl in the G3 cartoons and most of the G3 books.

But there is one G3 book where Star Catcher is a boy.  Not a one page typo or anything, either--he's a major character in the book and has he / his pronouns the entire time.  I think the book was "Belle of the Ball".  The belle being Twinkle Twirl.  Star Catcher uses his pegasus magic to help create a beautiful outfit for her, etc.

One oddity is that in almost every book Star Catcher is in, either Skywishes or Twinkle Twirl are meeting Star Catcher for the first time.  So Skywishes meets Star Catcher "for the first time" about three or four times.  Maybe G3 is like Groundhog's Day and they repeat the same events over and over.

I'm torn, because I really like Star Catcher's (female) voice in the cartoon.  ON THE OTHER HAND, if Star Catcher were a boy then at least G3 would have ONE boy pony.   As far as I know there are absolutely no other G3 ponies who have even been suggested to be boys in any kind of canon.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 08:19:25 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 10:32:22 AM »
I see i'm not the only one who likes pony with play marks.It shows that someone loved them before they went with us.
For me Star Catcher is a girl, her wonderful voice in Dancing in the clouds can't be a male voice.For the book, it could be an error, the writer had the wrong informations on her.

Offline Big_Brother_Bufftusk

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 12:01:32 PM »
This topic reminds me of the time where I found a care bear cousins book where they were ALL written as girls...very odd.

I always liked the big star-catcher too, even in stores her body would be doing all sorts of wacky color changes, usually pink in splotches all over the place. I've yet to get one, honestly I was always a bit put off by the malfunctioning color changes, it just looked...off, especially when she's supposed to be all white. I'd probably be the opposite in wanting to find a way to remove whatever wacky thing she has on her that makes her do that. It would be a lot of fun though if that color changing feature wasn't all wonky.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 12:48:36 PM »
Wow, even the lion?

I saw a Care Bears episode where Good Luck Bear had a crush on a female character, a panda bear cousin.  But they used a female VA for Good Luck Bear.  Not a "boyish" sounding female VA (like G4 Spike) either, just a straight out "girl voice."  Unintentionally progressive for its time. :lol:
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 02:40:17 PM »
I've always thought of Star Catcher as a girl.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 03:20:38 PM »
I used to have the G3 book Lady Moondancer mentioned, and thus have always thought of Star Catcher as male. I apologize if my occasional slip-up of referring to her as such has caused any confusion. :blush:

That aside, I wish I had known I could possibly remove the color-changing layer - I sold mine because I didn't like that feature. Otherwise, she would still be in my collection.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 03:23:10 PM by Sundown »
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Big_Brother_Bufftusk

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 03:47:51 PM »
Wow, even the lion?

I saw a Care Bears episode where Good Luck Bear had a crush on a female character, a panda bear cousin.  But they used a female VA for Good Luck Bear.  Not a "boyish" sounding female VA (like G4 Spike) either, just a straight out "girl voice."  Unintentionally progressive for its time. :lol:

yea-huh, cooky right? it was one of those 'book on tape' sets, and was a simple thing that introduced all the cousins...as girls. *lol*

I know I've seen the episode you're talking about but I can't for the life of me remember what goodluck bear sounded like, but they did do that a lot on those cartoons :p

But anyways, for me Starcatcher is definitely a girl...I mean, no fuzzy hooves? I have a hard time considering any pony a boy without those fuzzy hooves. I realize there's ones they've done without them that're boys but I'm just too set in my ways.

lostpony

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 06:12:09 PM »
Hey mine seems to be working now!  At least on a warm day here....some 78 degrees...here is how she looks right now:

I'm really liking him/her/(only-sometimes-male-pony-in-G3)!  Answers the question of how to know if it's a male in G3....there aren't any, tee hee OK maybe with the temperature color change Star Catcher is like the Anime character that is a boy in hot/cold and a girl in the other...was that Ranma something?  Anyways so pony evolution may have depended on Star Catcher's temperature on certain days!  Problem solved....maybe....anyway though her paint job isn't child-applied she is still plenty scuffed up from play and has a few little pink spots that seem like child-applied ink, so I am very happy with her!

Here are the rest of the before/during/after pics all jumbled up:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzP8lAXs8KOWWS1HeEp5V1RzUVk

Here is the ebay listing:
ebay link http://www.ebay.com/itm/182104362264?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

For the record, I put her in a bucket of strong Tide Free with cold water for an hour or two on each side after swishing her around in it a little, then scrubbed her with a toothbrush and Ajax with-bleach cleanser and used conditioner and a comb and a little bit of flat iron on the hair and she began turning white where I was holding her while scrubbing and after drying overnight I put her in front of a little electric heater for a few minutes to de-pink the last few spots (the ear insides and the corner of the mouth especially) and I then touched her with some frozen meat confirming she can still turn pink.

I wonder what mine will look like over the next days and nights! a little exciting no?  Unpredictable!

This was a great off-topic opportunity to learn a little bit about G3 boy ponies (or lack thereof) so thanks everypony!

Good luck to the OP, I hope yours turns out well too!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal