Pony Talk > Pony Corral

Deflocking damaged so softs with goo gone?

<< < (2/4) > >>

lovesbabysquirmy:
Hmmmm I don't think it would hurt
--- Quote from: BlushingBlue on June 19, 2018, 12:11:48 PM ---I don't know about Goo Gone, but you can use plain old isopropyl alcohol to remove flocking glue around symbols/eyes without damage. It will only start budging the paint if you scrub super hard with it, and as a bonus, it's cheaper and less toxic than using a name-brand petroleum distillate. :)

--- End quote ---

A LOT of products in everyday life come from petroleum distillate.  :)

I don't think it'll hurt the paint... but I also don't think it will remove the glue. 

Try the isopropyl in an eyedropper and maybe use a popsicle stick to scrub at the glue bit by bit?  I do recall I had to use a LOT of acetone on stuff like wings when I was deflocking.

SparkleSkye:
The acetone is the only thing I've had sucess with, I just cant use it on or around symbols
 I already accidentally removed most of wind whistler's cutie marks that way   :yikes: :yikes: she was in more or less bait condition anyway so its not like I ruined a good pony at least

The rubbing alchohol hasnt worked well for me, beingabout as effective as hot water and only removing the flocking but not the glue. Maybe I'm not using enough or scrubbing hard enough?

lovesbabysquirmy:

--- Quote from: SparkleSkye on June 19, 2018, 01:20:08 PM ---The acetone is the only thing I've had sucess with, I just cant use it on or around symbols
 I already accidentally removed most of wind whistler's cutie marks that way   :yikes: :yikes: she was in more or less bait condition anyway so its not like I ruined a good pony at least

The rubbing alchohol hasnt worked well for me, beingabout as effective as hot water and only removing the flocking but not the glue. Maybe I'm not using enough or scrubbing hard enough?

--- End quote ---

No, it's not a compatible solvent for the glue.  The only other solvents that I can think of, probably are NOT good for pony plastic! 

BlushingBlue:

--- Quote from: lovesbabysquirmy ---A LOT of products in everyday life come from petroleum distillate.  :)

--- End quote ---

Haha, yeah, that wasn't meant to be a dig at petroleum distillates, no worries. ;) I just meant that on the scale of Things I'm Cool With Using A Lot Of, generic isopropyl alcohol falls higher than something like Goo Gone. (I'm assuming it's petroleum distillate, but I honestly don't know! ^^;)

--- Quote from: SparkleSkye on June 19, 2018, 01:20:08 PM ---The rubbing alchohol hasnt worked well for me, beingabout as effective as hot water and only removing the flocking but not the glue. Maybe I'm not using enough or scrubbing hard enough?

--- End quote ---

Aw, that's a shame, it's always worked for me. :huh: After removing most of the flocking with hot water, I soak cotton wool pads/q-tips in alcohol and go to town on the leftover glue. It takes some elbow grease, but it hasn't failed me so far. (Although some ponies are easier than others!) Are you using 91% strength? 70% might not have enough oomph.

SparkleSkye:
...I've been using 50%
That's likely my problem

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version