collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Some cleaning questions...  (Read 465 times)

Offline QueenNatalie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • /insert edgy song lyric here/
    • View Profile
Some cleaning questions...
« on: July 22, 2013, 02:00:32 PM »
So, I've been super lucky with my ponies up until recently - some of them were a little dirty or had frizzy hair, but nothing a good bath wouldn't fix. Now, I've got three ponies with varying levels of pindot mold, and it just won't go away!!!  :cry: And obviously, I am a total newbie at pony diseases and stuff. I tried the tutorial on the Preservation Project for pindot removal, and it helped quite a bit, but not entirely. Oh, and I also have a Majesty with a very stubborn case of brown mold (I suppose it could just be cancer, but it really looks like mold to me). I'm just getting extremely frustrated that nothing I try fixes these poor ponies!

So I was just wondering a couple of things. First of all, what are your personal methods for curing moldy ponies? I've heard of boiling them, how does one do this and how does it work? And can they really be "cured," or is it just a temporary fix? Where do you store/display/hide the ponies so the mold won't spread to your other ponies? Or will it really spread?

I will appreciate any advice you seasoned pony cleaners can give me!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
Re: Some cleaning questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:06:55 PM »
If it is mold most times it will have a ring
or look like a bulls eye, if it is mold it can only grow in moisture.

Its been proven that caner can't spread to other ponies but mold will.

Don't use bleach as it will fade and lighten the pony over time.

Try a white vinegar and baking soda soak and scrub.

with out a picture its hard to tell what it is exactly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
as far as pin dot you can run boiling hot water over the pony and with a thick yellow rubber glove use your nail and scrub. it may not be completely fixable.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:09:48 PM by NamineEveningLight »
:accomplished:

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:13:56 PM »
I usually fill a Ziploc/Gladware container with one scoop of Oxy Clean, the "sick" ponies, and as much as-hot-as-I-can-get-it-from-the-tap water as will fit while letting the lids still securely fit.  You have to make sure the entire pony gets submerged, and I let them sit in this usually overnight, until the water is back to room temperature.  Then, I rinse the ponies well and take a very mildly abrasive sponge gently to the parts that I can still see the mold on.  I've had pretty good success with this, only running into two ponies that either had the mold so badly ingrained or had so much of it that I gave up on them for the time being. 

Offline QueenNatalie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • /insert edgy song lyric here/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 04:14:32 PM »
Thanks for the tips, guys, but I guess my follow-up question is this: if I think I've cleaned my ponies pretty well and don't *see* any mold on them, is it safe to put them with my other ponies or do I still need to keep them seperate?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 03:42:27 AM »
The word mould with ponies is overused a lot. Ponies have mould much much less often than we think; normally their issue is something else but we generically term it mould. If you have cleaned the pony, if you cannot see any marks or stains or issues on her which you cannot identify as something simple and non-contagious like highligher/cancer etc then she will be fine to sit alongside other ponies in your collection. 

As to the rest, if you have pictures it will help us identify what is wrong and perhaps offer alternate solutions.

If it is pin dot then unfortunately it is back to the scrubbing. You really need to get the plastic "open" in order to get the dirt out of the pores. You can use baking soda and super hot water [or sometimes steam initially to open the pores - lol like a person would :P]. It can take a long time and a lot of scrubbing but you will get there eventually. Try using something like a butter knife, with a dull but strong edge to scour along the surface of the area during scrubbing - sometimes this helps
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 02:35:05 PM »
I must say I have never been able to fully get rid of mould on ponies :(
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart: